Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

flash player update

Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have the fallowing:

Power PC G5 version 10.5.8, Safari version 5.0.6, Flash Player 10.1.82.76

it is the latest version that my computer will accept.

When I am on the net and try to open a movie clip I get a warning notice to update my flash player.

When I click on the update point I get a notice that my coputer will not accept the latest version.

Does this mean my computer is to old?

Richard Shoemaker

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a word... yes.
Apple stopped all support for Power PC computers in 2009, when they released OS 10.6. Adobe and many other software developers followed suit thereafter. Unfortunately, web technology has continued to advance since then and even though the PPC Macs may still run, and run very well, they have become obsolete from many a standpoint with regard to software.
A lot of websites have updated their Flash content (for security reasons) to only be compatible with Flash Player 11. This leaves PPC Mac owners in the dark. Additionally, HTML5 has the ability to run video without Flash (if the webmaster uses it for the site), but Safari 5 and lower has trouble with that.

Google Chrome has an embedded Flash Player, but it requires OS 10.6 or newer to install, and since 10.6 REQUIRES an Intel processor, again, you're out of luck.

Donlt get me wrong, I miss my G5 Mac sometimes. I used to be "addicted" to Aspyr's "Stubbs the Zombie", and it was a PPC game without an Intel version. I paid good money for that and haven't been able to play it in nearly five years. On the other hand, things that used to take ALL DAY on my PPC Mac, like burning a DVD, now complete in mere minutes. Add to that... I can run Windows on my Intel Mac so I don't need a second desktop computer, and it just gets better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

richard shoemakerl.com wrote:

Does this mean my computer is to old?

Not really.  The problem is that the changed architecture makes it difficult for software developers to maintain software for two architectures.

To add to that problem is that many websites routinely check for the latest Flash Player version, and refuse to show their content for older players, even if they do not really use new features of newer players.  Also some web browsers (Firefox) automatically disable plugins that it deems "unsafe".

Mac OS X 1.5.8 was released in 2009, so it is really not old.

Windows users are much better off: Windows XP was released in 2001, and is still the most widely used version in the world.  Still supported by Microsoft, as well as practically all software vendors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pat Willener wrote:

Mac OS X 10.5.8 was released in 2009, so it is really not old.

Windows users are much better off: Windows XP was released in 2001, and is still the most widely used version in the world.  Still supported by Microsoft, as well as practically all software vendors.

Difference is, Pat.... Microsoft is still supporting XP, (albeit for just a few more months).
Apple officially ended ALL support for PowerPC machines and the software that ran on them the day OS 10.6 was released. I know this because I bought my MacBook Pro August 27, 2009 - the day before 10.6 was released. Along with the "free upgrade" offer, I received a letter explaining the drop of support for their former hardware architecture.

The change from PowerPC to Intel processors by Apple was akin to changing from an i386 to a dual core Pentium, for a PC manufacturer. It was a world of difference as far as what would and wouldn't run. Four years isn't that old chronologically, but it's an eternity in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines