• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ICC Profile - How on Earth do I make InDesign let me see this profile in action?

Enthusiast ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'm getting a booklet printed soon, and have liaised with the manufacturer a few times and I've been given the joboptions file for the PDF export, and the color profile (NxP21_g50_Coated_Gloss.icm). I already know how to change a color profile using Edit > Color Settings and such, and knew there was a load button there also, so figured this would be easy.

The profile was successfully installed on windows (right-click > Install Profile), and for good measure (after I got annoyed that it wasn't working of course), I also copied the profile to Common Files > Adobe > Color, etc but this seems to have made no difference either. Google has not helped me at all so far, other than to tell me what I already know, and how to preview a profile applied to a document that is already in the list of profiles.

What I want to do is preview what the document will look like when printed using this custom profile downloaded and installed to my computer, but InDesign nor Photoshop seem to give me any way of doing this seeing as the profile is not listed and there's no way to load it up properly. The closest I have gotten is in InDesign by going to Edit > Color Settings > Load... > load it, and then get the error saying 'Some parameters in the color settings file could not be used. Default values will be used instead.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Why is this so damn hard to do? Surely this kind of thing is a common pratice in the professional world (reciving new color profiles and then using them to preview work or even convert work)?

Thanks in advance,

- Ricky

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

It's the one in your screen shot just below the line after Web Coated Swop 2006 Grade 5 Paper > 4color-LG118-U280K100-Ccr50....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it assigned to the Document? Edit > Assign Profiles...

If you changed the default color settings (Edit > Color Settings...) it will have no effect on already existing files. You can also view the output as a Soft Proof on the monitor by going to View > Proof Setup... and choosing either the current working space or your printer's profile from the Custom... option, then View > Proof Colors.

Keep in mind that a soft proof is an RGB simulation of the actual output, which is mostly not a problem, but there are colors in the CMYK gamut that can't be reproduced accurately on any monitor, and unless your monitor itself is properly calibrated and profiled what you see most likely will not be accurate at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my issue though. The profile is not even listed in my Edit > Assign Profiles drop down list, nor my View > Proof Colors. I was sent the .icm file from the company that will be printing my work, so I do not own this exact printer either if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's remotely possible it's showing up under a different name, but that would be pretty hard to spot. Have you tried a Reboot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Just found that the image importer on this forum doesn't work for me. Selected a file and it just did nothing.... nothing is going right today *

--------------------------------

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s133/rickyt_album/ColorProfiles_zpsf8b18da6.png

Above are the color profiles it shows. Do any of them stand out as unusual? I've restarted the applications and my PC, no change. Am I missing something? I am right in thinking all you are supposed to have to do to get InDesign and Photoshop to see a new color profile, is install it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link isn't working for me (could be my security settings, but I don't think so since the next two images show). You can embed the image here in a post using the camera icon on the web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, thats what I tried doing the first time. I selected an image from my computer, and then it just put the image name next to the 'choose file...' icon... but it didnt work. Now it is

Color Profiles.png

This all seems like so much effort just to preview my document in the right damn color profile -.-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see Japan Standard v2 on my list here.

If you open the .icm file with notepad you might be able to see the name it's going to use in the list up near the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, all giboldy-gook, and the only readable information at the top is copyright stuff and a phrase saying 'prntCMYKLab'. The file is called the right thing anyway when I tell InDesign to load it but it fails -.-.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me a Private Message with a link to the profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent (once I could figure out how to send you a PM... apparently putting a clear button on a persons' user profile is too much hassle these days...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the one in your screen shot just below the line after Web Coated Swop 2006 Grade 5 Paper > 4color-LG118-U280K100-Ccr50....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you very much ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines