• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Enable Flash Player, Shockwave Install Fails to Launch

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot enable Flash Player or launch Shockwave Player installation download on Dell Inspiron 1545 64-bit running Windows 7 Ultimate with IE9.

Have performed the full Flash Player clean install exactly as described in the June 18, 2013 posting, Active X Filter is disabled and Shockwave Flash Object is enabled.

Flash Player installs successfully but will not enable.

Installation download for Shockwave Player responds only with the message an add-on for this site failed to run and does not launch.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 will run IE 10. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-10-worldwide-languages

It's possible the upgrade will resolve this, as it will reset all IE Internet Options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi C F McBlob

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated. I am hoping to correct the situation with IE9 for other reasons, however if necessary I will take your suggestion to go to IE10.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7635021 wrote:

Shockwave Flash Object is enabled.

Flash Player installs successfully but will not enable.

Sorry, I do not understand this - the two statements are contradictory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat

Thank you for your response. Sorry for my confusing description.

What I meant to describe was that after performing a clean install, as described in a June 18, 2013 posting on this site, and receiving a confirmation screen [Installation Successful. You are now running Adobe Flash Player] I took the following actions.

1. Verify on IE/Tools/Safety that Active X Filtering is disabled.

2. Verify on IE/Tools/Manage add-ons that Shockwave Flash Object (version 11.8.800.94) is enabled (on both the Show All Add-ons and Currently Loaded Add-on screens). I understand that Flash Player is described as Shockwave Flash Object in the Manage Add-on screen.

3. Refreshed Internet Explorer.

4. Tested Flash Player on several you tube videos - confirmed it is still not working as the message [You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video...] is displayed. I understand this to be a result of Flash Player installed but not enabled despite 1, 2 and 3 above.

5. Attempted installation of Shockwave Player. After clicking on the Agree and install now button an Installation Notes screen appears with the [The Website wants to install the following add-on......] and User account dialogue box information. The download then fails to launch. I am guessing that since Flash Player isn't enabled, the Shockwave Player download screen doesn't display completely and a control (button) is not visible/available to launch the download.
Hopefuly this information is helpful to better understand the situation.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shockwave Player: download the Full installer from http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/#sp (under the heading Netscape) and save it to disk, then close all browser windows and run the downloaded installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2013 Aug 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pat!

As per your suggestion I performed the full Shockwave Player install from http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download.alternates/#sp (under the heading Netscape), saved to disk, closed browser and ran the installer.

For the first time since the flash player related problems started, the Shockwave Player installation launched and the message [Installation Complete] displayed.

However, still receive the [You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video. Download it from Adobe] message when testing performance on you tube videos.

Then performed the following:

1. Uninstall and reinstall IE9. Went cleanly.

2. Performed all steps of the clean install of Flash Player as described in http://http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315. The confirmation screen [Installation successful. You are now running Adobe Flash Player] displayed.

3. Confirmed IE/Tools/Safety Active X filtering is disabled.

4. Confirmed IE/Tools/Manage add-ons Shockwave Flash Object (version 11.8.800.94) is enabled (on both the Show All Add-ons and Currently Loaded Add-on screens).

5. Confirmed [kill bit] registry data conforms to description in http://http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/movies-dont-appear-browser-flash.html.

6. Closed and reopened IE9.

7. Reinstalled Shockwave Player version 12.0.3.133. The message [Installation Complete] displayed.

Continue to receive the [You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video. Download it from Adobe] message when testing performance on you tube videos.

Using the Adobe uninstaller, removed Flash Player.

Installed the earlier version 10_3r183_90_winax.exe from the Adobe archive version sites.

Still continue to receive the [You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video. Download it from Adobe] message when testing performance on you tube videos.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2013 Aug 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat

Thanks for all your help. Proper operation has been restored by changing security settings on Internet Options. Sorry, I made several changes and didn't document so I am not certain which change was required.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you got it working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines