• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I batch unlock/decrypt PDFs in Acrobat XI?

Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to implement an action in the Action Wizard to batch remove the security on multiple PDFs.  I came across this post and have been trying to implement the steps it describes:

http://answers.acrobatusers.com/ViewQuestion.aspx?questionid=16649

The action I've set up loads the files and saves them to a new location, but the password protection is still there when I open the new files.  The Encrypt step seems to be doing nothing at all.  I'm running Acrobat XI on a free trial at the moment, so I don't know if something changed in XI where this technique no longer works or if it's a limitation of the free trial.  My action steps look like this:

Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 4.52.48 PM.png

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

With the native tools in Acrobat XI you can't - but you can import an Action created in Acrobat X Pro and run it, even though it's not editable.

I have made you an Action which removes the security on a selection of files - download it here and double-click the SEQU file to install it.

As the instructions say, you must set your Action Wizard preferences to Security Method = Password before running it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open one of the PDFs and check the security. The security is not necessarily the encrypt process you are talking about (I really have not checked). If that is the case, then you have to disable the security to resolve your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm trying to remove the "Password Security".  It's my understanding that when a PDF is password protected, it's encrypted, so that's why I'm sort of using them to mean the same thing.  In the Encrypt action step, you can click on "Specify Settings" and the Security Method drop-down there is exactly the same as the Security Method drop-down when you look under the Security tab of Document Properties.  That's why I would expect password protection to be removed by setting the Encrypt step drop-down to "None".  That seems to be consistent with the instructions I've found on the web (like the one above), but those do seem written for older versions of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workflow described on AcrobatUsers.com is no longer supported.

As it says on the Preferences dialog in Acrobat XI Pro, the concept of pre-entering a Security Method for an Action only works for scripts created with Acrobat X or earlier. If you try to do something to a secured file using an Acrobat XI Action, it will simply skip the tasks that aren't allowed.

You can see what's happening when an Acrobat XI Action completes by clicking the small "Full Report" link at the end of the Action timeline when it finishes. In your case, you'll see "skipped" against every Encryption task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, well I sort of suspected it was being skipped, but wasn't understanding why.  It's a bit confusing since obviously this was something that was supported in previous versions and there is a "None" option in the Security Method drop-down of the Encrypt action step.  If "None" is an option, you would think that would be a permitted action.  So I take it there's no way around this issue?  No other method of removing the password security?  I find it odd that you aren't permitted to batch process an action that you can do manually file by file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the native tools in Acrobat XI you can't - but you can import an Action created in Acrobat X Pro and run it, even though it's not editable.

I have made you an Action which removes the security on a selection of files - download it here and double-click the SEQU file to install it.

As the instructions say, you must set your Action Wizard preferences to Security Method = Password before running it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you help!  That action did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only seemed to work on the initial install, then it disappeared from my actions when I restarted Acrobat. I tried reinstalling, but I got an error message saying it can't install over an action with the same name. Was anybody able to have this action work consistently after restarting? Just curious if this is a bug in the action or on my computer. Has anyone found another workaround to batch remove security from PDFs?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Tools > Action Wizard > Manage Actions and make sure it's on the list. Bear in mind that if you have a lot of entries, only the first ones will be shown in the panel (use the Move Up/Down buttons to reorder). I haven't had any other reports of actions vanishing after a restart.

There's no other way to do this with Adobe software, and discussions about third-party encryption-bypassing tools are forbidden on this site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you help! Save my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant,

Could you do a version of the "Remove Encryption" sequence, that overwrites the existing files in the same folder as where they were opened from?

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go - but use it carefully!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! What service! Thanks a lot, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2016 Feb 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, i have used the batch but it seems doesn`t work for me, when i open the document it still ask me for a password. Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much - 10 years later and still helping people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

can you do this for the actuak Adobe Acrobat Pro version from 2023? I would like to import this function.

This would be really great, than you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines