• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I import closed captions in Premiere Pro CC?

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that Premiere Pro has close captioning we can import text as a layer in the timeline.

However, it only takes certain types of files. In the top video of this page: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/closed-captioning.html

Jeff Sengstack says that Premiere can accept 4 different file types for close captioning but he only mentions Scenarist.

I have my close captioning file in a .txt format but Premiere will not allow that type of file. So I have a couple questions:

1. What are the other file types that can be imported for close captioning?

2. Is there a way to convert a .txt file to a Scenarist format (scc)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is that PPRO CC will import the following types of caption sidecar files: .scc, .mcc, .xml, and .stl.

More specifically, here's how the support breaks down:

• 608 captions
    • .mcc
    • .scc
    • .xml
    • embedded in a QuickTime file (unless the video is an MPEG format)
  • Teletext
    • .xml
    • .stl

Enhancing support for captions and improving the workflow is a work-in-progress. If you have specific requests, please submit it here: https://www.adobe.com/go/wish/. Of course, you're also welcome to post your requests on these forums, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark, and how do I get my .txt formatted text into one of the file types cc will import? Is there a convertor out there?

And what is 608 and Teletxt captions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess what I'm asking is how does one get the closed captioning text into any of the formats Premiere will accept?

It's useless instruction if you don't know anything about the file types that can be imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here I thought I was giving you more info than you asked for, but fair point 😉

So first of all, 608 and Teletext are different standards for encoding captions. In general, 608 is for NTSC (the video standard in the U.S., Japan, and several other countries), while Teletext goes with PAL (Europe, China, Australia, and elsewhere.) There are a number of differences between them. To learn more, you might start with this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioninghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning.

As for how to convert your .txt file to one of the supported file types, I don't have a direct answer, but you might start by searching the Web for "captions convert txt to scc." I have limited experience with a few of the third-party captions authoring apps, which I expect can ingest a txt file and encode it in the given app's preferred flavor. On the 608 side, the ones I know of are CaptionMaker (for Win) and MacCaption (I'll let you guess which platform that's for). For Teletext, you might try Annotation Edit. Note that I'm merely listing the ones that I'm familiar with. I really don't know enough to recommend any of these programs.

One final note: The captioning features that we added to PPRO CC are geared toward providing a flexible workflow with imported captions--i.e., captions authored in some other program. PPRO CC now supports editing caption content (say to correct a typo or expunge swear words) and trimming caption track items just like any other assets.

You can also create synthetic caption assets and populate them from scratch, which could be handy for short projects or for filling holes in the imported caption sidecar. However, I would not recommend attempting to author all the captions for a project of any substantial length within Premiere. It's simply not designed for that, and there are dedicated programs that do this far better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've seen the video, too. But in my case I can't import it the way it is done in the video. The files are not even recognized. What am I doing wrong here?

Any hints are really appreciated since I relied on that information for an ongoing project....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<<<2. Is there a way to convert a .txt file to a Scenarist format (scc)? >>>
I use Subtitle Edit ( http://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit ), it's free and open source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Paul, thanks!

This is actually the first converter who seems to work for me.

Does anyone know how the scc import was done in this video?

http://helpx.adobe.com/de/premiere-pro/using/closed-captioning.html

The scc file seems to be imported as normal footage, so it is editible in Premiere.

When I just go via the sequence menu, I can't find anything to edit them.

Unfortunatley I have to change a pile of captions according to timing and I really wouldn'T like to do it by tyoing in hundreds of new timecodes...

When I try to follow the tutorial video I already fail at the importing stage, since in the importing dialogue there is no such fille as scc offered....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you saying you do not see the scc option in the import dialog?

This is what I see.

Import scc.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the exact same problem, I work on Premiere Pro Cs6, and in the import dialog I can't see or select my .scc file so I can't even import it... I don't see the scc option you are showing in your message Jerry, apparently the scc files are not considered as supported format.

so strange to be stuck at the very first step without any clue of what to do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm load in scc format, but subtitle no visible in program monitor. How to make them visible. Visible on manual make in format stamdart CEA-608, stream -CC1.

SSory my bad English

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines