• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying an Image Number

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Auto Numbering Image Format is working in 3 of my 12 chapers..  and it does not successfully work upon import, but it shows up with the same rules when double checked from FM  to FM. 

Any one have this problem

Any ideas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... working in 3 of my 12 chapers ...

That sounds like the numbering properties are set to reset paragraph numbering in the malfunctioning chapters.

Check, in each chapter file: Format > Document > Numbering [ Paragraph ]

<*> Continue Numbering ...

[ Set ]

Check all the other properties while you're at it.

Then in the book file, select each component (chapter) file, right click

Numbering

and set all properties to

<*> Read from File

[ Set ]

Now if you having local problems with the autonum, it becomes a question of how you are implementing the captions. if you have more than one AN para in the same anchored frame, it doesn't work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way that component files (chapters) can end up with broken sequence numbers is if the Numbering properties of the Paragraph Format aren't identical from file to file.

For example, chapter1.fm might have para fomat "Caption" auto-numbered as:

[ C:Figure\ <n+> ]

but chapter7.fm might have it as:

[ Figure\ <n+> ]

These would be incrementing two different counters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried both of the above...
Where the numbering is going wrong is the sequential... 
As in <chapnum>.<n+>
the <n+> is only working if you hit enter..   not from Paragraph type to next time used Paragraph type...

It works in 3 chapters

it does not in the others

I have looked at the Document Numbers

I have looked at the Book

I have looked at it from the Properties of the Paragraph Format...

I am curious if any one is still working in FM 9?  I didn't have this problem with 10 or 11...

So,  I am at a bit of a loss, and I really do need to have my figures and tables numbered.

Thank you so far for all your input, I have checked from both of your perspectives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps if you posted examples of the autonumbering format used in your Paragraph desiger for when a) it is working and b) when it is not, then there may be a better understanding of what is going on.

There have been no autonumber counter issues in FM9.

If you are using the matrix method for the counters, check to see if there is an intervening reset at some parent level heading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2013 Aug 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK

here is a screen capture, you can see that I did my formatting, and in this it is "auto counting" some of the time, just not ALL of the time..  In the same document. 

it will count if enter is hit

it MAY count from anchord frame into text

it MAY count from text to next anchored frame

it will not count from text frame to text frame unless within seperate anchored frames

it will count when enter is hit with in a text frame

Auto Number Question.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohh, and I did the linking of the text boxes, and then it works..  sort of...
Then it skips the From Anchored Frame TO text.. 

AND
I am not successful at connecting text frame TO text Frame from different Anchored Frames.

Auto Number Question part deux.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to consider using the same numbering for figures and

tables to help keep things simpler. See this excellent document for

details: "The Case for Simple Numbering"

http://www.techknowledgecorp.com/nonum.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mike,
I have tried that, but still run into the problem that in some documents (all started from the same template, all using the same Paragraph formats and such)...

Some documents the numbering will NOT auto sequence from one anchored frame to another.  and then..  some it does.

I just can't get it

I have to get this working, it is hundreds of pages long..  and this is just ONE of the manuals I am writing.

I will try to transfer existing information in the documents that are not working, into a NEW document, and see if that will help.  Save As Does not.  I can't figure out if it is a software glitch, or just some fabulous joy of FM9

Though I was informed that FM9 did not have any documented numbering issues.

Ahhhh...
Fun.

Thank you VERY much for your time and Help.  I welcome Any and ALL input.  I have tried EACH answer, and will not stop. 

Regards

A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like this is a bug. I can duplicate the beahviour in FM11:

Fig_num_AFrame.png

I might add that including multiple text frames with the autonumbers in the same AFrame is a might unusual construct.

You can work around this by having only a *single* text frame with a counter in the AFrame, use multiple AFrames and/or use the Figure/Table paratags outside of the AFrame.

You can also use a table structure to insert multiple AFrames and Text frames to keep them together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, in FM8, the beaviour is that the autonumber counter in subsequent text frames (within an AFram) is reset back to "1".

Fig_num_AFrame_FM8.png

Looks like the rule is that FM only auto-increments the first textframe within an AFrame.

@Alex,

To get your autonumbering tto work properly, you're going to have to adjust the contents of your AFrames so that there is only one textframe with an autonumber within each AFrame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you
I don't and have not before tried the multiple text frames win the autonumbers in the same AFrame..  That was done as an example of the series of auto numbering issues I was having.

I have tried to put a SINGLE autonumbering Text frame in an AF.. 
and that is all I have tried to do.

I simply set up an extreme example, to make it clearer where the problem lay, and in doing that, I found the other oddities/problems

All I want to do is put in
F:Figure <$chapnum>-<n+> in the Image Frames

and

T:Table <$chapnum>-<n+>  in the Table Frames

I don't actually want to put in multiples,

but the fact that from one AFrame to another does not sequence makes my life more challenging. 

It also will not work from one text frame to another outside of an AFrame.

unless you connect text frames, but then the bug makes one disappear, and you have to start with the 1-1 and hit enter, and the 1-2 will appear in the second text frame that was emptied by the joining. 

However, then you can not use it in an Anchored Frame.. 

I will figure another option.. 

bummer.

Thank you for taking the time to explore this with me

I have a gift for finding bugs..

*sigh*

(of course, it does make writing software manuals a fairly steady job, when I also end up running some QC)

Regards

A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alex,

>It also will not work from one text frame to another outside of an AFrame.

That is absolutely the way it is supposed to be. If you randomly place a text frame outside of the main flow, then the autonumbering is completely independent (i.e. it's not going to work!). An Anchored frame, by definition, is part of the flow and consequently a textframe within that Anchored frame behaves as part of the flow and will number correctly. Only when you have mutliple text frames within that anchored frame, does the autonumbering of the second and subsequent textframes not behave properly, i.e. they are ignored. This is probably is "as designed" and not really a bug on thinking about this some more - it should be clearly documented though.

For the figures, simply place the Figure caption paratag before or after your anchored frame. Set your "Keep with" properties in the paratag appropriately and they will stay together.

You mention "Table Frames" - no such thing (unless you're putting a table inside of a text frame inside of an anchored frame - which is not the right way to do it!). Use the Table Title option in your table format to setup the counters in the TableTitle paratag properly for tables.

You seem to be overtly complicating a very simple, standard construct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All I want to do is put in
F:Figure <$chapnum>-<n+> in the Image Frames

and

T:Table <$chapnum>-<n+>  in the Table Frames

It sounds like you may be unfamiliar with using a single-cell table with title to hold image and caption. See sample photo for instructions:

One-cell-graphic-sample.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Looks like the rule is that FM only auto-increments the first textframe within an AFrame.

That would be consistent with my experience (up through FM7.1). As I said above "... it becomes a question of how you are implementing the captions. if you have more than one AN para in the same anchored frame, it doesn't work properly."

All of our illustration captions are an auto-num para, in a borderless table, within a text frame, within an anchored frame. We make it a strict policy to have only one such para per anchored frame.

If one must have multiple AN captions within a single AF, a work-around for this would be to create a Reference Page, named, say "Captions", that might be a 3- or 4-column layout. Create a small font paragraph def named, say, "Numbered.Ref", used only on that page. These will auto-number reliably. The actual Body captions would be cross-references to those, using a

Definition of, perhaps [ Figure\ <$paranumonly>.\ <$paratext> ].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines