• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preferences File was invalid.

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I open my CS6, it always show " Could not initialize Photoshop because the preferences file was invalid (it has been deleted)" I reinstalled it but it is still popping out. Please help me coz I badly need my Photoshop

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Apr 26, 2013 Apr 26, 2013

If you're on Windows, then navigate to the location: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 and then trash/delete the Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Settings folder. Looking at the error I've a feeling that you don't have sufficient privileges to that folder. Right click on Roaming\Adobe folder and then choose Properties\Security tab. Select your username and apply full control to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Just a wild guess, but perhaps if you check Photoshop on the win 8 front page, and choose Run as Adminstrator from the options bar at the bottom of the page, and then do the Ctrl Alt Shift thing?  I can't test it at the moment because my Application Manager is updating on my Win8 laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to reset your preferences by starting PS and immediatly holding down the ctrl + alt + shift keys?  Will get a reset window if done correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. On the Mac, I used command+alt+shift and it worked with Photoshop CS5.5. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other options for fixes on this - the ctrl+alt+shift voodoo isn't working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for my CS6 "Could not initialize Photoshop because the preferences file was invalid (it has been deleted)" error message in 2021! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me on CS6. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, Hold the ctrl+alt+shift keys, then asked to delete the file, Ideleted and Photoshop Started.

Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bloody legend! 10year old support. If you ever see. this or get notifications thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

worked. thankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on Windows, then navigate to the location: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 and then trash/delete the Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Settings folder. Looking at the error I've a feeling that you don't have sufficient privileges to that folder. Right click on Roaming\Adobe folder and then choose Properties\Security tab. Select your username and apply full control to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its now 2020, and this solution still right on the money, a big thank you from 7 years in to the future!
Hope you are still healthy and in good shape today, as we have been hit by a pandemic right now as I speak, you deserve it bro!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much PrintFusion45. I had tried everything else and was stuck at the computer screen crying because I couldnt get Photoshop to work. I am so thankful and grateful for your expertise. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. 

From Isabella  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!  Another thanks from the future - got that horrible sick feeling and had no idea what to do, but you have fixed it oh historic Adobe Knight! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously! I am so happy I found your reply because I was in a panic and this was the easiest fix ever!!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please remember that reinstalling doesn't change your preferences (and wasted your time since the message said the problem was just with the preferences file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I reinstalled and it didn't fix. I found a video http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/how-to-reset-photoshop-cs6s-prefe... that explains how to locate the file and delete it.

It's fixed.

thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue when I open my cs3. I've tried the ctrl+alt+shift solution but it didnt work. Also I cannot find the adobe folder in my AppData. I'm on windows 8 Anyone knows how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a wild guess, but perhaps if you check Photoshop on the win 8 front page, and choose Run as Adminstrator from the options bar at the bottom of the page, and then do the Ctrl Alt Shift thing?  I can't test it at the moment because my Application Manager is updating on my Win8 laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! That really worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback because I've learned something as well.  In fact I am quite new to Win8 and definitely haven't fully got to grips with it, and since I made that last post my Application Manager update failed, and the run as adminstrator trick worked for me as well.  I can't say as my limited experience with win8 has been a totally happy one to date, but perhaps the 8.1 update will make life easier for us win7 Luddites

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i hv found out useful way to solve this problem.

im using window 7,

1) login this area

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings

2) you will found this all file in the folder.

folder (workspaces)

folder (workspaces-modified)

Action palette

Adobe Photoshop X64 CS6 prefs

Color Settings

LaunchEndFlag

PluginCahce

RepoussePresets

Workspace Prefs

3) Delete below file or you can backup if you dont believe this way can solve your problem

folder (workspaces)

folder (workspaces-modified)

Action palette  << delete

Adobe Photoshop X64 CS6 prefs << delete

Color Settings << delete

LaunchEndFlag << delete

PluginCahce << delete

RepoussePresets << delete

Workspace Prefs << delete

4) relaunch your photoshop. it start and back to work again.

and you can back to the folder. amazing all the delete file has been coming back

i believe because the previous certain old data didnt synchronize therefore if just remove the pref file

it still wont work. i just delete it all with guts. haha

Happe( ^ - ^)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi @edhiro , thanks for this usefull way  to solve the current problem, I already used this method and it works perfectly,

Thank you and God Bless! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for this wee golden nugget - works a treat and has my PS back and working - Thanks for sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For windows 8. You actually need to run the photoshop app as administrator.

What you can do is, right click on the photoshop icon from start menu or if you have it on desktop and click on properties.

Click on Advance button and you can check there "Run As Administrator" so you do not need to manually run it as admin every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines