• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will installing Robohelp 6 trial screw up my Robohelp 5 installation?

Mar 14, 2007 Mar 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the Robohelp 6 trial for evaluation, but the installer 'strongly recommends' that I uninstall Robohelp 5 before continuing. I don't want to do this just to run a trial but if I don't will my it screw up Robohelp 5 anyway?

Thanks, Emma.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this link on what you can do and the potential pitfalls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emma,

Installing them side by side is fine. I've been running them on the same PC together for some time. Just be vigilent about opening project with the correct version! The best way to do this is only to open projects via the application (rather than windows explorer). You will notice that after the install all .xpj files are associated to Robohelp 6 - hence the above warning. These associations go back to Robohelp 5 when you uninstall 6.

BTW - It is not recommended by Adobe as the practice is not fully supported.

Hope this makes sense.
Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had both running for some time without issue. One thing though you need to be very careful about. If you double click an XPJ file in Windows Explorer, it will open in RH6 and then you cannot open the project again in RH5. Well you can but that's another story and is not the best plan.

What you or your IT people need to do, is reassociate the XPJ file with RH5. You do that in Windows Explorer and it takes seconds. Then X5 projects will open in X5 and RH6 projects will try to but be blocked, you then open RH6 and point to the project or right click and use Open With. Both versions of RH will be there and it will be obvious which one to use.

Be aware the trial only handles a limited number of topics.

If in doubt, use a separate machine.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for your quick responses guys - very helpful as always :o)
I will give it a go then.

Thanks again,
Emma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp