• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DW wipes the floor with CF Builder for CF tasks!

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2013 Sep 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just how badly could Adobe make an IDE for CF?

In Dreamweaver if you want to run an <cfif> statement with 'structkeyexists' then you get perfect code hinting. So try typing <cfif structkeyexists( ....  and DW will show you what parameters the structkeyexists function expects.

Now do the same in CF Builder and it doesn't give you any code hinting whatsoever!

Getting a little tired of Adobe's product team now.

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

@Solaced, CFB does not offer that option to auto-display function arguments. Lamentable, but there it is. But as Adam noted you can get it using ctrl-space.

But here is where CFB goes one better (really, much better) than DW. Not only does that display the list of function arguments (as you expected from DW), in a yellow box at the top of the list, but far more valuable (to most, I’d think) CFB then also shows you any available variables defined in that page. DW never did that. Yes, it’s a shame

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd. I've got it configured to only show up when I press CTRL-SPACE, but it all works fine for me.

Are you sure you haven't got it switched off? That is an option after all...

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes all the Code Assist options are on.

If I start typing <cfif... then the code assist comes up with some suggestions but then if I continue to type structkeyexists(.... I get no more assistance. In DW it assists me fine.

Its the same when I try it with a new page. Its the same after updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Solaced, CFB does not offer that option to auto-display function arguments. Lamentable, but there it is. But as Adam noted you can get it using ctrl-space.

But here is where CFB goes one better (really, much better) than DW. Not only does that display the list of function arguments (as you expected from DW), in a yellow box at the top of the list, but far more valuable (to most, I’d think) CFB then also shows you any available variables defined in that page. DW never did that. Yes, it’s a shame that you have to hit ctrl-space to see either, but I don’t see any way to change it. Anyone else?

Now, one may wonder, “ok, that would be cool, but the variables I want to see are coming from an application.cfm/cfc, or a CFINCLUDE, or custom tag call, or as properties in a CFC instance, or keys in a struct returned from a CFC or UDF call, and so on. If CFB only shows what variables are defined “on the calling page”, then that’s not as useful as you want to make it sound.”

Well, CFB can absolutely do all those, too. It just requires that CFB can interpret all that CFML just like CF itself would at runtime. No small task, when you think about it, since CFCs or include files could be found via some mapping defined in the CF Admin, etc. Still, CFB can indeed figure all that out for you, and show even those variables in an instant.

There are some caveats: you have to have opened the CF page from within a CF project (as defined in CFB), and you have to have created a (successful) server connection to your CF instance, and have connected that project to that server. Assuming all that’s in order, CFB can do that.

It can also show you all methods in a CFC, all CFCs defined in your application and server, all columns in a query, and lots more.

This is where CFB shows itself to be more than just an editor, but is truly an IDE (integrated development environment), which can help make you far more productive once you learn to use its ins and outs. I would highly recommend spending some time with the CFBuilder User Guide (

See especially the “Code Editing” chapter (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/2.0/Using//WS0ef8c004658c1089-554789f8121af8f0c8c-8000.html <http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/2.0/Using/WS0ef8c004658c1089-554789f8121af8f0c8c-8000.html> ), and among its many sections, one on “Code Assist”. But there are about 3 other key chapters in that manual, so don’t stop at the Code Editing one. An hour or so spent perusing that will shock many at what’s possible.

But sometimes some things just don’t work the same as they did in DW or HomeSite, and that trips some up. Or even if they read the manual it fails to work because some aspect is not configured right (like the project and server stuff I mentioned above). That’s covered in 2 of the other 3 chapters I pointed to.

And if you still have trouble getting it working, there is both this forum and even some consultants (like myself) who can help (for a small fee) via remote access to get you over some hump. I don’t say that as a sales pitch, but just as a plea that you not give up too quickly on CFB. With just a little help, small roadblocks can be cleared to open up whole new paths. CFB’s powers can be amazing. It just seems few ever get to find them. (Look for the ctrl+hover feature in the docs, for how to have CFB open an include file, a CFC method, or javascript and CSS files, and lots more.)

Hope all that’s helpful.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation