• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone having trouble with double-click and triple-click text selection?

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we updated to CC, I have a very good chance of this not working evey time I try it. Maybe 10% of the time, it will select the word/line as it should.  My prefs are identical for this feature as they have for the past several version of InDesign. We have the same problem on two Macs here.  My partner also has trouble with copy/paste in InDesign and Illustrator as well.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Message was edited by: bradboutwell - Typos

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems here in InDesign CC on both Macs (Mac OS X 10.8.4). What computer platform?

Does it happen with more than one file?

Try restoring your InDesign preferences. Here's how:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that already, Steve, to no effect.

Our machines are mid-2011 iMacs with 16gb of RAM, running 10.8.4 and latest versions of the CC suite, no font software currently (trying to ween ourselves off of it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new user on your computer, and see if there is any difference running InDesign CC in the new user. There could be a conflicting application open or some system corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

We rebuilt both machines without importing anythign and are still experiencing the problem.  Actually the more debilitating of the two issues is now the lag my partner has when cutting/pasting/deleting in Illustrator. I am going to post on that separatley after I do some searching to make sure its not an existing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, missed a question: Yes, it happens with any file in InDesign, even new docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the "Triple Click to Select a Line" option in the Type section of your preferences?

You have to click fairly rapidly for this to work, if you wait a second between the clicks it won't work.

Also, 4 rapid clicks will select the whole paragraph. This is good because it also selects the hidden ending paragraph symbol. 

(Sometime the ending paragraph symbol has different leading that the rest of the text and it messes up the leading on the final line.

Triple_click.png

Also check your Mouse preferences in the System Preferences of Mac OSX. There you can adjust the Click Speed. This may have been set to very slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This setting seemed to be on by default, Unchecking it made the triple click feel more like I expected, although it selected the paragraph instead of the line. Seems like something is buggy with that preference. It screws up double clicking as well, with the triple click preference checked, the text frame (box) has to be active to get multiple clicks to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have recently switched to indesign CC here as well.
We are experiencing the same problems with double/triple/quadruple clicking.

And it has nothing to do with the "Triple Click to Select a Line" option.

- In previous CS versions with the text tool selected and nothing selected on the spread you could double click a word in a text frame to select it. (or of course triple click or quadruple click to select line/paragraph)

- In CC with the text tool selected and nothing selected on the spread you must first place the cursor somewhere inside the text frame and THEN you can double click or triple click or whatever.
You have to "activate" the text frame by placing the cursor inside of it first!

If you don't "activate" the frame first then clicking simply does nothing.

To me this seems more like a bug than a feature.

It often results in a lot of extra frustrating clicks and at the end of the day you just feel like you have double clicked all of your clicks, so to speak.

Edit: Yes, it is a problem on both new and old docs and on both new and older OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an out-of-left-field idea, but I recently took a MacBook Pro in for a new battery. I could run the machine on power supply, but not battery.

But even if I used the power supply the trackpad wouldn't select and click properly.

I discovered there are all sorts of problems, including selections, when the battery is wonky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No battery in this iMac 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just reiterating from a previous post I had that I'm having the same issue. The extra click is quite frustrating and time consuming. It also interferes with the flow of clicking. It really makes no sense, but I've not seen a response from anyone with Adobe. I'm truly hoping for a redo on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this clicking problem too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue. It's a little disconcerting to see this problem has existed for so many months without a fix.

I did notice one thing — The problem is intermittent, but I can always get the triple/quad click working right if I position the cursor at the end of the paragraph.

I'm not sure if that's helpful information, but if anyone has a solution I would love to hear about it. I am contemplating working in CS6 until this is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. After reading this thread I actually UNCHECKED the "Triple Click to Select a Line" option in the Type section of my preferences and noticed that it does not make any difference whether it is checked or not! Strange... Really hope they will fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Identical problem here too -- it's driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please Adobe a fix for this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I too have the selection problem. It is an awful behaviour change from all prior versions of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same problem. Drives me nuts although my coworkers aren't bothered by it. Everyone works differently, I guess. Going back to CS6 as my productivity is slowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to handle differently only on my Windows Indesign CC not my mac one. it's got to be a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to InDesign CC and am experiencing this annoying triple-click issue as well. Adobe, fix this already!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be working for me (InDesign CC - Windows 7), but I found that if I click to fast it will not double/triple/etc. click highlight.  Which is really annoying because I'm a fast clicker.  If I slow down my clicks it seems to work.  Also, if I try to double/etc. click over the blinking insertion point, it doesn't usually work.  I have to do my selection clicking by moving the mouse first after I've already selected the box with the text tool.  This seems very buggy to me.  I'm mostly just using ctrl+A when changing text (like little street name text boxes). FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with double/triple clicking in text. I think the problem is the placement of the cursor in the text. If the cursor is in between characters double clicking doesn't seem to be doing anything. You have to place the cursor on a character to select a word/sentence by double/triple clicking. Someone at Adobe should really try this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue on MacBook Air 2014, 10.9.5 and Indesign CC 2014.1

I did notice it since Indesign CC and that bug remains.

The double-click is very difficult when changing the transform reference point in the application bar also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2015 Jan 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem, and it's really frustrating. I'm using a Macbook Pro and OS X Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines