• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XML Output

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2007 Mar 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you explain in simple words what is XML output used for? We don't use it now, but we have to decide whether we need it or not.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Well it's not quite in the same league as asking for a simple guide to splitting the atom but it's that sort of question.

Think of XML as HTML where the tags are structured and give a sort of database effect. That enables the content to be reused.

It's also one of those things where if you needed it, you would sort of know. Your developers would be steering you that way.

Probably someone can give you a better answer but meantime you would do very well to look at http://www.xml.com and do some googling.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, it was developers who wanted me to find out whether we need it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Peter!

Actually I didn't want people to get into details while answering. I just need to grab a common idea.

I'll search further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What might help here is if someone using XML could give us a paragraph or two about why they use it and whether it does help them.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I would hazard a guess that you don't! Unless you have really large volumes of text that others might want to use within you organisation or that the developers want to use, I think it unlikely you need XML. Though that is no reason not to investigate further. It might be worth asking this question on the HATT Yahoo group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe to clear up the situation I need to add some more information. The thing is that I write Help File for our programme product. It describes all the features of the product and surely it represents large volumes of text. So, the question is : do we need to start applying XML output, will it be of use to us and our customers... The thought that suggests itself is - you never know until you try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Looking at an XML output, I can't see how but the main point in coming back is that I really do think the question you have now asked is clearer and you would be well advised to put it on the HATT forum.

There are some people who hang around that and not here and I think some of them might have the information you are seeking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp