• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Acrobat XI Crashing when I try to Save As?

Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I try to Save As in Acrobat XI Pro, the prgram stops responding and I lose all my work. This never happened in Acrobat 9. I am running Windows 8.

Please advise I am getting very frustrated and losing a lot of time with this.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

I performed all kinds of troubleshooting to solve this problem and it has eased. I found that the best solution is to open Adobe Creative Cloud in Admin Mode, then apply updates. I wish I hadn't had to spend 15 hours solving this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked your version level of Acrobat 9.  I believe it's something like 9.5.3 some versions don't recognize or work right Windows 8.

9 is getting a little long in the tooth any. You should get Version XI.  You'll have a learning curve to go through as 9 was the last version that put all or could put all Controls on Tool Bar. XI you have to click on tools and a sidebar opens up.  Only common every day thins such as Print  are on the Toobar.  I prefer the method in 8 and 9, but Things Change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip;

Please read the question again. I am having this problem with Acrobat XI. I did not have the problem with Acrobat 9. I used both of them in Windows 8 which I installed months ago. Acrobat 9 worked fine with Windows 8. I just upgraded to Acrobat XI this month to take advantage of all the new features and it also was working fine. I started having this problem after a recent update. I need to know why this is happening now. When I try to Save As it just freezes up and I have to shut down the program. Of course I lose all the work.

Steven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry didn't read the question correctly.

Have you tried reinstalling Acrobat XI possibly something wrong with one of the registry keys. Also If PC version has Preference files remove those and reopen. So far there has only been one update to .0.1 so would no cause much problem remove reinstall and re update.  Since you have license number redownload maybe the copy you have is slightly corrupt. or glitch happened at the moment you attempetd to install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  There are some folders that I have no trouble saving a file to.  On the other hand, if I am working on a file in the MyDocuments folder, Acrobat 11 stops responding.  The screen freezes.  I end up having to use Task Manager to end the task. I installed an "Upgrade" version of Acrobat 11 Professional on a brand new Win864 Pro i7 with 32Gig RAM.  SSD boot drive.  MyDocuments folder has been redirected to a 4tb mechanical drive.  Tech support phone call did not provide answer.  I've spent hours on this.  I'd love to know what is causing Acrobat 11 Pro to crash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have basically the same setup as SSWAcrobat; Windows 8, 64-Bit, 16 GB Ram, SSD system drive, saving to My Documents which is a redirected folder on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials server. It seems to be a compatibility issue. The problem started after the recent update. After reading Phillip´s last reply, just as a hunch, I set the compatibility to Windows 7 and I haven´t had the problem since. Again, the problem seems to be with the update. Adobe support should look into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It´s doing it again! Not only can I not Save As, I can´t Save As Other. It is precisely because of this feature that I upgraded. If I had known I was going to have these problems I would have stuck with Acrobat 9 and bought Nuance´s PDF Converter. It´s a lot cheaper and it works. Acrobat XI doesn´t. How can I get a refund?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2013 Feb 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded to Office 2013 and problem solved.  I can now access "Save As" and Acrobat 11 Pro works AOK. 

I was told that Acrobat will sometimes hang if there are too many temp files.  In my case, for reasons I do not understand, upgrading to Office 2013 from 2010 solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2013 Feb 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am already using Office 2013. I am a Microsoft Partner, so I have been using the software since well before General Availability. Somebody else told me to uninstall and reinstall the program, just as Phillip did. I am going to try that and I won´t install the update. I am conviced that the bug is in the update. I have seen it before where an update fixes one issue but creates another. I work in IT, so I see it all the time. What bugs me is the inability to obtain support from Adobe. The have a chat page, but there is no tech support through the chat on the weekends, and the wait for telephone support is always over 30 minutes. That´s a waste of my time. I just switched to Nuance PDF Converter to do what I needed to do, which was convert from PDF to Excel. As for creating PDF files, Office converts to PDF directly. Problem solved.

When Adobe gets around to fixing the problem I assume they will come out with another update. In the meantime, I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I have just confirmed that my Save As problem is caused by the update .0.1 becuase I reinstalled Acrobat XI and it worked fine. I then allowed the installation of the update, and the problem returned. I just uninstalled the updated Acrobat and reinstalled the original version and the problem is gone once again! I hope that Adobe is seeing these forums because they have a bug in the update. It's so bad that when you run the Compatibility Troubleshooter on the updated Acrobat it says that it is not compatible with Windows 8. I can't be the only having this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have company.  See post by TIG1995 on February 19.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all Adobe and Reader have come out with a .02 update Try updating first to .01 anthe right straight try .02. If you stll have issue roll back to XI and forgo the updates. The go to help menu Feed back put in bug report. the more warm bodies report this bug the more likelyhoo you will get some action. If no result go on facebook and look for the Facebook Page that the disgruntled User created and post. Usually Adobe will take notice because its out in the world for the world to seee , where its shelterd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip:

I installed the two updates. The problem is back. There is no Feedback in the Help Menu. They do have a button that says Send System Report, but there is no address in the send to field. B.T.W., In a previous post somebody mentioned that the problem occured with redirected folders. I am working with a local folder just in case and it still hangs. I think I am going to go to Facebook and argue my case there, as you suggested. In the meantime, here is all the info in case somebody in the forum can see the problem.

Account Detail:

User Rights: Admin

User Account Control: Limited

Process Integrity: Undefined

Profile Type: None

Acrobat Detail:

Sandboxing: Off

Captive Reader: No

Multi-Reader on Desktop Support: Off

Available Physical Memory: 4194303 KB

Available Virtual Memory: 3994196 KB

BIOS Version: HPQOEM - 1

Default Browser:

Default Mail: Microsoft Outlook

mapi32.dll

Version: 1.0.2536.0 (win8_rtm.120725-1247)

Creation Date: 2012/07/25

Creation Time: 10:16:07 PM

Display Detail:

Screen Width: 1600

Screen Height: 900

Number of Monitors: 1

Number of Mouse Buttons: 5

Has Mouse Wheel: Yes

Has Pen Windows: No

Double Byte Character Set: No

Has Input Method Editor: Yes

Inside Screen Reader: No

Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Version: 8.17.10.1151

Check: Not Supported

Installed Acrobat: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Version: 11.0.0.379

Creation Date: 2012/09/23

Creation Time: 8:43:44 PM

Locale: English (United States)

Monitor:

Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Resolution: 1600 x 900 x 60

Bits per pixel: 32

OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

OS Name: Microsoft Windows Vista - WRONG!!!

OS Version: 6.2.9200 

Page File Space: 4194303 KB

Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7  GenuineIntel  ~1995  Mhz

Session Detail:

Boot Type: Normal

Is Shutting Down: No

Network: Available

Inside Citrix: No

Inside VMWare: No

Remote Session: No

Remote Control: No

System Name: STEVE-HP

Temporary Directory: C:\Users\steve.MST\AppData\Local\Temp\

Time Zone: SA Western Standard Time

Total Physical Memory: 4194303 KB

Total Virtual Memory: 4194176 KB

User Name: Steve

Windows Detail:

Tablet PC: No

Starter Edition: No

Media Center Edition: Yes

Slow Machine: No

Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS

Plug-Ins:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\Accessibility.api

Version: 11.0.01.36

Creation Date: 2012/12/18

Creation Time: 3:08:52 PM

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\EScript.api

Creation Time: 3:08:48 PM

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\SendMail.api

Creation Time: 3:08:50 PM

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\Updater.api

Creation Time: 3:08:52 PM

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins\weblink.api

Creation Time: 3:08:50 PM

FOLLOWING IS THE EVENT VIEWER DATA:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Hang
Date:          2/24/2013 11:09:11 PM
Event ID:      1002
Task Category: (101)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      STEVE-HP.MST.local
Description:
The program Acrobat.exe version 11.0.0.379 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 55f8
Start Time: 01ce13056adf7946
Termination Time: 16
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
Report Id: b60fb745-7ef8-11e2-bebc-101f7418c1f9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>101</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-02-25T03:09:11.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>331636</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>STEVE-HP.MST.local</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Acrobat.exe</Data>
    <Data>11.0.0.379</Data>
    <Data>55f8</Data>
    <Data>01ce13056adf7946</Data>
    <Data>16</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe</Data>
    <Data>b60fb745-7ef8-11e2-bebc-101f7418c1f9</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Binary>430072006F00730073002D00740068007200650061006400000044006500610064006C006F0063006B0000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2013 Apr 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same  problem.  Do I understand correctly that the "solution" is to reinstall Acrobat XI pro?  Or is it to roll back to an older version?  I'm currently using the Creative Cloud downloaded software and the update manager says the application is current.

Any other updates since the last post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 17, 2013 Apr 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on SteveMST1's experience looks like you need to  reinstall and leave off the last update. Sounds like the last update for PC is bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2013 May 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of crashes for me too.  This Abode Acrobat Pro 11 is probably the worst program I've used from Adobe.  Super unstable.

I've had 10 crashes today in a few hours of work.

I would recommend people avoid this program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure this is an Adobe Acrobat XI problem and not a Windows 8 problem? I have also just recently started experiencing Save As problems with Adobe Acrobat XI (I am using Windows 8, everything was working fine up until now, I only upgraded to Windows 8 about a month ago). But I am experiencing exactly the same problem with the PDF995 and PDFCreator products as well (however saving to PDF from an Office 365 product works fine). I find that after restarting my PC I can often print to PDF successfully (using Acrobat XI, PDF995 or PDF Creator) once, twice, maybe 3 times. But then the next time I get the same old "Save As is not responding" message and have to cancel the task in Task Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also suffer this major bug. 

Windows 8. Reader XI.  All up to date with latest updates.  Occurs 100% consistently on both of 2 PC's, a laptop and desktop.  I don't understand how they can not realize this is a bad bug.

If I uninstall and then reinstall, Reader will be able to save-as once, sometimes twice, before screwing up.  Once it goes bad, every time there after it will lock up Internet Explorer completely.  That crash requires I go to Task Manager to shut it all down.

Very very frustrating to try to waste hours trying to save a lot of important documents from E*Trade Bank.

My workaround was to uninstall Adobe Reader XI completely and rely on Reader 9 for that purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case this is definitely a Windows 8 (or Microsoft anyway) issue. My problem started at the end of May - a couple of days ago after an automatic Windows update (and I had previously manually done an update to make sure I had the latest updates) the problem has completely gone - I can use the Save As feature in both Adobe Acrobat and PDF995.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar problem to CraiginNJ.  Acrobat freezes in the process of saving documents, sometimes as soon as the Save button is selected in the Save screen, sometimes in the Confirmation window after the "save" button is selected.  I can then close the program using the "X" button in the top right of the window and the program collapses/closes without the document being saved.  It generally happens when I try to sanitize a document and remove meta-data and then close the document.  It does not matter whether I try to use the remove meta-data through the Tools menu adn then try to Save in the File Menu, or on exiting the documen/file by closing the program - same result.  It usually will save once or twice before freezing. I have tried to reopen the program and start fresh, with limited success.  After multiple crashes, I have gone to task manager, only to find that multiple instances of "Acrobat XI are running, and using between 80-90% of CPU.

I can open Acrobat, and use the repair feeature, usually takes 6-10 minutes, and then the program will save the file, and work once or twice, before freezing again, and requiring that the repair be run again.  Biggest problem seems to be failure of program to exit properly, leaving remnants running, and using up substantial system resources.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, clearing registry, deleting all files/references to Acrobat, regedit to delete all keys, all to no avail, it seems to continue to freeze.  The amount of time taken up by this problem each day is completely unacceptable.  Customer support on Chat has been less than helpful, insisting on working through a cheat sheet to do all of the same things thast I have already done, and wasting my time, rather than upgrading my service request to someone that has a brain.  Please advise any progress in resolving this issue.  It is apparent from this forum that MANY people are experiencing this problem, but have not seen all of the ramifications of the freeze.

soulreiver666

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2013 Jul 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ditto. crashes every other save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem when saving in Acrobat XI in Windows 8. Did you find any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I haven’t found a solution yet. I have reverted to Acrobat X which seemed to work for a while but then the same problem started happening again. I am unable to use Save As with Acrobat (X or XI) or the PDF995 product. (I have tried other PDF writing products but again experienced the same problem). I can however save documents to pdf via other software (e.g. MoneyWorks). I am still unsure as to whether this is an issue with Acrobat itself or a Windows problem. The fact that it sometimes goes away for a week or so after an automatic Windows update makes me suspicious that it is a Windows problem. It is extremely frustrating though and I wish someone would get to the bottom of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I try to open all programs as "administrator" by right-clicking on the program icon and choosing that option. It doesn't always yield the results I expect, but things run a little bit smoother. Overall, am disappointed by the time I have had to spend trying to solve basic problems already asked and answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same Acrobat XI problem on two different Windows 8 computers. Otherwise I'm happy with Acrobat XI and hoping they will come out with an upgrade to fix this soon.

My current workaround: Make a test comment when first opening a PDF document and then save it before doing any real commenting work. I find that if Acrobat XI saves successfully once, it doesn't crash again. It's always on the first save attempt of a session that I get the crashing.

Please keep me posted if you get any closer to a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines