• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH6 Crashes when compiling HTML project from RHx3

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2007 Mar 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from x3 to RH6, and when I go to compile a fairly large project (with all the bells and whistles such as conditional build tags, links, etc.) It crashes every time! It's a fatal exception error. I'm running Windows XP and can't get this to work no matter what I try. Also, when I go to "Batch Generate" I get a nifty little "X" box stating "too few parameters." I've seen these messages before being no MS novice, but this is truly baffling me as to why it won't generate the project. I even tried restarting my computer, with nothing else running, and generating the project as the first thing after rebooting, without any success.

When I was in RH x3, everything worked absolutely fine without any problems whatsoever. So I'm really baffled by this kind of software nightmare.

Seems to me this software is definitely not ready for release. I'm pretty disappointed and would really appreciate some answers for my $400, and I'm hoping one of the RH experts out there can provide me with some help and assistance.

Thanks in advance.
Rob Anselmi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Sure we can help out here.

First question, is your project stored on a local drive (good) or over a network (bad).

Did you install the RH 6 with full admin rights?

Are you only seeing this error on one project. Can you create a new project and compile and see if you get the error.

Have you logged the issue with Adobe support?

Cheers
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig,
I'm working off a local drive. No networking here.

Not 100% sure about installing with Full Admin Rights. However, I'm pretty sure I have full access and rights to install and run software on my machine. How can I check this to be certain?

Are you only seeing this error on one project. Can you create a new project and compile and see if you get the error.
-- I'm seeing this on all projects that were previously created on x3

Have you logged the issue with Adobe support?
-- No. This is my first attempt to fix this problem. I came here first to see if anyone had the same problem. Apparently no one does. My next step will be going there if you can't help me Craig... but I'm working on having faith in you. ;-)

Keep in mind I'm a pretty advanced user here. I've created several projects before and all use conditional build tags, glossaries, indexes, Context help, so if I'm having a problem, and it's something deep inside the project, it's going to be a real nightmare to pinpoint. But I would expect that going from x3 to 6 should not cause these types of problems. I know you guys do testing on this... that is I hope.

Cheers
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Does RH 6 work correctly when you compile a new project or open one of the sample projects? That would be the first thing you should check to see where the problem is. It could be something in your x3 file that we are having a problem with.

I am not seeing anything in the knowledgebase about this so you should definitely contact support and if needed, provide a sample project so we can try to identify the problem.

Thanks

Shane
Adobe Technical Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob. Sorry to hear about your compile woes. Does the problem only happen on this one project? Is the project on a network drive? If so, move it off as RH project files don't work well over networks. Also was RHX6 installed with full admin rights?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And your lips didn't even move Craig!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, you never know the level of expertise you are dealing with :-)

Do you want to zip up one of your X3 pojects (or a cut down version that shows the error) and send it to me to check it out?

I can at least establish whether it is your install that has issues. Need to get some work on site complete first, but can look at it in an hour or so if you can wait.

robx3issue(at)helpsolutions.co.uk.
Let me know when you've sent it (if you decide to)

Cheers
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob. If you right click on your RH desktop icon and choose Properties, go to the security tab (in WinXP - may be different if you're using Vista or something older). The Administrator's user name should be selected. It might be worth trying to see if you can compile your project using Microsoft's HTML Help Workshop. If it works then it narrows down the area of potential conflict a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I recall that X4 was a big step away from X3.

Once you migrated a project to X4 you couldn't go back.

We know X5 to RH6 is an easy transition. But I wonder if X3 to X6 leaves out some important interim changes.

If I can find an old backup disk, I might be able to test.

Does anyone remember when X4 was released?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harvey

Coming in late on this as I've been in and out all week.

According to my records:
x3.1 was released 05/2003
x4.1 was released 07/2003

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it was releasaed around mid 2003 if that helps Harvey!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. a few things.

1. I have the same rights as my admin on my machine - so should be all set there.
2. New projects seem to compile properly. I just created a test one with some conditional text (no index, glossary or anything) but it worked fine.
3. I will zip up a project and send it to you Craig... to see what you can make of it. I'll try to get you a small project which I know fails.

Thanks for everyone's help thus far by the way. I know I sounded a bit bitter in my initial posting, but technology always has a way of messing up, no matter how good we attempt to make it.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob

Just before you send the project to Craig, take a look at Snippets on my site. I have recorded a couple of new items there this week that cause RH6 to crash and it sounds like they could apply to you.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

no problem, I know that it can be frustrating when things just don't work for you first time around :-). Adobe have been great with Robohelp 6 support.

What time zone are you in? just thinking you may be better off posting the zip file to shane / adobe support if you are in the US. It is friday night here in the UK and I won't be able to get back to you as quickly - I have the drive home to contend with and pass many taverns on my way ;-)

Shane, where can Rob send his file? or do you need an email address from him?

thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed Peter's post. Doh, forgot about the conditional tag issues! As he says, take a look at the snippets..

thanks Peter, good call as always
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to see if there are any conditional tags in my merged cells to see if that is the problem. As for sending the file, if anyone wants to have a go at it, you can see it / download it here:

http://www.robertanselmi.com/wiper.zip
It's 21 MB in total and contains all the files in the project.

Thanks so much for everyone's help thus far.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... a few more bits and pieces,
1. The file doesn't have any conditional tags within merged cell tables (or any tables for that matter) and it still crashes.
2. I went through the Snippets. Thanks, but none of these issues relate to my problem. Not that I can see.
3. Feel free to have a look at my project I posted earlier.

And again and always, thanks for the help.
Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some early off-the-top-of-my-head things

You have some file names with parens and dots, such as:

Exporting_the_Whole_Movie_as_a_Digital_Video_(.AVI)_File_Using_HyperCam.htm

I'd start by renaming them within RH, at least to get rid of the dots.

Then maybe the parens, too.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

I can repro the crash here. I don't have an immediate answer for you, but we will look into it.

Shane
Adobe Tech Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next, I'd condense those long file names.

I recall this coming up in either X3 or X4.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This never caused a problem before. Is this a known issue? Seems kind of odd that this should take down the roof.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trust me.

It matters.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Shane! I really appreciate it.

You guys are really great on here! I've never found such a responsive forum.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Comment retracted.)

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

That seems to be the Robohelp 6 Version.
To test this properly, the X3 version would really help. Can you pop that one on the FTP site for me.

thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp