Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ordering browse sequences

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there

I have been linking a RH project to FM files, crated TOCs, Indexes... all's fine except for one thing

I'm trying to generate browse sequences automatically from the TOCs. However, when I try to do so, the browse sequence navigator remains empty once I've chosen my root-TOC and the TOC levels to use. I cannot find out what I'm doing wrong.

Moreover, i can see available browse sequences in the browse-sequence editor window. But they are order alphabetically, which makes it impossible to add them manually to my project's browse sequence, as they are not ordered by my task levels. Is there another way to order them ?

Any hint would be greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m assuming you’ve used the trick of specifying a “0” level sequence for auto-TOC creation – maybe a screenshot would help us all. Use the camera icon in the web interface of the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your answer. I didn't know about the trick you mentioned, I tried it but it didn't change anything.

Here are more explanatory views of my problem :

As you can see, I can see my items just fine in the left side of the browse sequence editor window. My RH project is composed of several folders. Each one has its own TOC, with a master TOC (called Documentation_All). including all the other TOCs.

capture1.PNG

When I click "create aotomatically from TOC" button, the next window appears. I select my TOC and set 0 in the level field as you suggested. The thing is that after I've clicked the "OK" button, nothing happens and the browse sequence list remains empty.

capture2.PNG

Thanks a lot for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Can you please open the TOC you are trying to use and show us a screen capture of that TOC structure?

Thanks... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick !

Here is a capture of my TOC structure.

Sans titre-3 copie.png

Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Looks like there is no "real" structure to build a Browse Sequence from because all I'm seeing are placeholders.

That would seem to totally explain why you aren't getting a Browse Sequence.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

The thing is that each sub-TOC has its own structure, as you can see below for example for the Installation / Connexion TOC

Sans titre-1 copie.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I do understand that. But you need to understand that the tool is likely confused by the placeholders. As Browse Sequences have been around for eons and the placeholders are fairly new on the scene, I'm really not all that surprised that the auto sequence builder got confused. I had a hunch there was an issue with the TOC which is why I asked to see a screen capture.

Please feel free to report it as a bug if you wish by using the link below:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

For the moment, however, my thought is that you have no choice but to build your sequences by simply arranging the topics as you desire. You will need to forgo the automated builder.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Rick, that is very clear.

Given that I have hundreds of topics, I think I will just give up adding browse sequences for now, it would be too time-consuming for now to do it manually.

All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not create a bunch from the sub-TOCs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, I don't believe the Browse Sequence builder will allow pointing at a TOC placeholder. Only a TOC file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I realize that, but I think the OP said that they’ve got a bunch of sub-TOC within each of the merged projects (or something) – bottom line is that they’ve got other TOCs to choose from to use in the auto-gen sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp