• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 - 32bit to 64bit

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have CS5 (32bit) installed on my PC. I am about to buy a new 64 bit PC. Can I install a 64 bit version after deactivating my current software and if so, how?

Thanks

Nigel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a 64bit system the installer will automatically offer to install both versions. Nothing more to do. Just keep in mind that even then you may want to install the 32bit version to have access to features like TWAIN for your scanner...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks for the info. Never gave the scanner a thought!

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own both PS and LR 32 bit versions aquired as a download from Adobe in 2011.  I am also upgrading to a computer with a 64 bit chip and OS.  I'm not clear how to get the 64 bit versions of PS and LR onto the new system.  Your answer to nsime implies there are feature-differences between the versions ("...features like TWAIN...").  Can you outline what those differences are, or suggest a source that would?

Thanks for the help,

JB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

64 bit will install automatically on 64 bit systems.

More info on the differences between 32 bit and 64 bit here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/64-bit-os-benefits-limitations.html

64 bit is invariably the one to use at the very least for the advantage in its use of RAM.

32 bit is limited to using <4GB RAM at all times - regardless of how much RAM is available on your system. 64 bit can use all the RAM you have available on your system.

The main reason that 32 bit Photoshop is still offered by Adobe is compatibility with 32 bit only plugins (which will probably not be updated to 64 bit). TWAIN is the classic example usually cited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Waller wrote:

64 bit will install automatically on 64 bit systems.

More info on the differences between 32 bit and 64 bit here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/64-bit-os-benefits-limitations.htm l

64 bit is invariably the one to use at the very least for the advantage in its use of RAM.

32 bit is limited to using <4GB RAM at all times - regardless of how much RAM is available on your system. 64 bit can use all the RAM you have available on your system.

The main reason that 32 bit Photoshop is still offered by Adobe is compatibility with 32 bit only plugins (which will probably not be updated to 64 bit). TWAIN is the classic example usually cited.

Thanks John, I'll check out the link you included.  To clarify: When I go to install my Adobe products on the new 64 bit machine, do I need to request something from Adobe in order to reinstall? I never received install discs, it was just a download.  That's the part I'm not clear about.  Since both versions, reportedly, come with the purchase, I presume I'm entitled to recover the download somehow.     I do understand from  Mylenium that once started, the download will offer to install both versions if you are on a 64 bit system and he seems to be suggesting that one should do that.

Thanks,

jb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which versions of Photoshop and Lightroom do you own?

Which operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have PS CS5.1 and LR 3.6 installed on an XP machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines