Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

key combination

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2007 Mar 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Can anyone remember the key combination for manually moving the capture window using the arrows?

Thanks,

Krista 🙂
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kmpacion and welcome to our community

Are you referring to placement before recording begins? I suppose either way it's really the same thing. You simply press the arrow keys. At least, that's what does it here on my laptop.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once recording has begun, you cannot move the red "recording" perimeter itself. I suspect you're instead thinking of moving the recordED window behind/within the recording perimeter -- to perhaps simulate a scrolling or panning effect.

If so, the Windows key combination to move an application's window is:

ALT+Space, M, and then the cursor keys. Press Enter to "drop" the window when you've finished moving it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rbLearning

How odd. Mine moves fine during the recording process. I tested before replying.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 13, 2007 Mar 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd, indeed. Perhaps the difference lies in the end result...

While you CAN click on and then move the red border that defines the capture area using cursor keys, my experience is that the red box itself moves, but the (intangible/invisible) capture area it represents does NOT move.

Try it --
1) Start a recording session.
2) Take a manual screenshot.
3) Click once on the red border to give it focus.
4) Use the cursor keys to move the border 10 or 20 pixels.
5) Take a screenshot.
6) Repeat the process several times.
7) End the session.

You'll end up with captures of the exact same area of the screen, but will see the red border itself move across the captured images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again rbLearning

Ahhh, so it does! I suppose I rather mistakenly assumed that it also adjusted the recording area. Then again, I've never had a need to move what I'm recording in the middle of the process.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, Rick - it's rare that one would ever want to do that. I can't recall needing the "fake scroll" but in one unique situation the past couple of years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2007 Mar 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was the Alt Space M key combination I was looking for.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2007 Mar 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I thought that the Alt Space M combo was the combination that worked in my previous version of captivate, but it doesn't work on this one. On my previous version, it moved the recording area AND captured the new area. Either there's another key combination that does this or Captivate 2 only allows capturing the initial area.

Any other words of wisdom to impart?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2007 Mar 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kmpacion

Hmmm, I have both Captivate 1 and Captivate 2 installed. I just tested using version 1 and the behavior you describe isn't what I'm seeing. While it's true that Alt+Space+M does indeed move the window I'm recording, the red recording rectangle remains in the same place. What is different in version 1 is that if I click and drag the recording rectangle, the actual area recorded does indeed change to reflect the new area.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2007 Mar 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Rick - good to know. Didn't dream of trying the same trick in Captivate 1 - just knew that it didn't produce the expected results in Captivate 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources