Exit

Isolating / finding bug in CF and cflayout

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I give up.

So soon?

So I am using cflayout, cflayoutarea stuff.  And in my code I have a bug.  But I can't find it. Why?  Because CF10 is not showing it to me.  It is hidden.  Normally when outside a cflayout (or sometimes in one) instead of getting the huge usual error listing all over your screen, instead I get a sort of pop up window ...

Error retriving markup for element "element name": and the element name is the tab ... I am using nested cflayouts. 

enable debugging by adding cfdebug to the URL.  When I do that all I get is a red line telling me nothing else.

How does one determine what the problem is under such a scenario?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That UI shit (word used  deliberately) uses JS heavily, so you ought to also be looking at what's happening in your browser's JS console.

That said... <cflayout>... don't waste your time with it. Just use mark-up and JS (or a JS lib that deals with that sort of thing).  The CF UI stuff is poorly written, poorly (or not ~) maintained, and are not transferrable skills. Don't waste your time using them. They had a place te years ago (so before they existed ;-), but not these days.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did find the bug ... I had not updated a SQL table (added a cell) on the preview site (not local) so a value couldn't be found.

I'm using Chrome.  Using Inspect Element, Console, it showed nothing untoward.

I'm also no (good) JS programmer.  I use it when I have to.  For mundane things.  What do you mean by "mark-up"?  By JS lib, are you referring to something like jquery?  Wouldn't know where to styart with that.  As mush as today I have become to LOATHE CF, they do make it easy with cflayout, yet I have also found so many annoying things it does!  Like you cannot put a JS function call within one; has to be outside it or in another template.  Yuck.

Transferable skills?

And don't get me started on Builder.  What a POS.  Bot nothing else works.  And it crashes by the hour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm also no (good) JS programmer.  I use it when I have to.  For mundane things.

That's not really an adequate situation to be in if you're a web developer these days. Especially if it means you need to use things like <cflayout> etc to do your work for you. You might have been able to get away with not knowing JS ten years ago, but not now. I recommend you do the courses here: http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/javascript and here: http://www.codeschool.com/paths/javascript.

What do you mean by "mark-up"? 

htMl

they do make it easy with cflayout, yet I have also found so many annoying things it does!  Like you cannot put a JS function call within one; has to be outside it or in another template.  Yuck.

Precisely. Which is why you should get yourself skilled-up sufficiently to not need them.

Transferable skills?

Well put it this way: being adept at <cflayout> is not going to help you get your next job, even if it's a CF one (indeed you daren't mention it, IMO). However JS is pretty much an essential skill to have in the web market these days. You don't need to be a guru, but you need to be confident with it.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation