7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 8:07 AM by steviedexter

Do I need Cineform?

steviedexter

I'm fairly new to Adobe Premier Pro and have been using Cineform to convert my GoPro files before using Premier Pro. I don't want to lose any quality and want to ensure I'm getting the most from the ProTune settings I've been using on the GoPro but it feels like I'm adding an extra step into the process. I'm not sure if I need to be using Cineform or whether the .mov file I used in Premier Pro is the best way to work.

I did do  a quick comparison in Premier Pro using a Cineform converted .MP4 and an unconverted .mov file and the .mov seemed to have better colour where the .MP4 was washed out. When I have been using Cineform I've purely used it to convert to .MP4 and not then used the 'EDIT' settings.

Any help on this would be appreciated, it feels like I sit for ages waiting for things to render in Cineform when it actually might not be needed.

Steve

• 1. Re: Do I need Cineform?
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Steve,

This is going to sound a bit odd, but here it is:

You only need it if you need it.

Basically, if you can smoothly edit your footage without Cineform, then do it without Cineform.

If you are having trouble with smooth playback, or you have some other reason to use a Digital Intermediate, use Cineform.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Do I need Cineform?
            steviedexter Level 1

Thanks. I guess you mean if I'm comfortable working with the more complicated but intuitive workspace in Premier Pro...?

One of the 'features' of Cineform in that 2nd EDIT section is to adjust colour correction or ensure the ProTune filter is on. Can I do similar in Premier Pro or will the .mov file straight out of the camera always have the ProTune colour in it anyway?

Steve

• 3. Re: Do I need Cineform?
              Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Without Cineform in the pipeline your footage will retain the 'flat' style that ProTune uses. That can be corrected using an S-profile in the curves effect but to get exactly the same result you'd need to know the shape of the ProTune algorithm, and Cineform are hazy about that.

If you have a color checker in the scene you can pull references off that, and if you're going for a by-eye artistic grade then it doesn't matter anyway.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Do I need Cineform?
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I misunderstood. I thought you meant the Cineform codec not the Cineform software program.

I meant that if you can work effeciently with your source material in Premiere Pro, you should do so. Conversion in their software is not something I have ever done, so I can't help you with that.

• 5. Re: Do I need Cineform?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>guess you mean if I'm comfortable working with the more complicated but intuitive workspace

Not Steven, but I **think** what he meant was using PPro for editing, and use Cineform to CONVERT your gopro video to a different codec if the gopro codec does not work smoothly on your computer (some people have problems) not that you should use different editing software

• 6. Re: Do I need Cineform?
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

That is what I meant!

• 7. Re: Do I need Cineform?
                      steviedexter Level 1

Thanks guys.