• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export file as ProRes (or best broadcast option) from PremierePro on PC w/ win 7

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to submit a PSA to a local network and they want a digital download preferably as ProRes. I have not been able to find that codec as an option and see that it may only be available on a Mac. Time and money are both issues and I just want to get this done. If ProRes is not an option with Premiere Pro or Media Encoder, then what is the next best quicktime/mov option for broadcast? I don't know the difference between the listed option in MediaEncoder.

Any mindshare with steps to take and options would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Hi keaproductions,

If you must output ProRes from Windows, check out Telestream Episode: http://www.telestream.net/episode/features.htm

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask them if they will accept a Hi Bitrate H264 File.

Either .mov or MP4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNxHD in the MXF wrapper would probably be the best choice - quality wise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Any opinions about:

A) HD 1080I 29.97 48KHZ QT1920X1080 29.97

B) HD 1080I 29.97 H.264, AAC 48KHZ QT1920X1080 29.97

C) HD 1080I 29.97 H.2641920X1080 29.97

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QuickTime is a outdated and buggy container, so I never use or recommend it.  That leaves AVI and MXF as the containers of choice for I-frame media, which may not be necessary here but will usually provide higher quality than interframe compression.

For AVI you can write Uncompressed, lagarith or UT, all of which are lossless and will provide the very best quality.  But Uncompressed will be quite large, and the others will require the TV station to install those codecs, so they may not be the best choice.

Which brings us back around to DNxHD in the MXF wrapper.  It's an excellent option quality wise, and is an industry standard format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reality is Broadcasters dont broadcast master files so it would be up to them if they were prepared to do a transcode for the "client".

I would doubt it because TVC delivery is often via a server.

That why I sugested "ask the broadcaster" what they will accept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Shooternz. Actually a local TV station said they would air a PSA but wanted a digital download as "ProRes" and that's how this started. Since I made the switch from FinalCut to Premiere and from a Mac to a PC, I don't have ProRes apparently as an option in Premiere Pro. I had submitted a PSA earlier this year to another network and it was an uncompressed AVI file, but this network wants something close to prores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi keaproductions,

If you must output ProRes from Windows, check out Telestream Episode: http://www.telestream.net/episode/features.htm

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jim. I guess I'm missing some basic knowledge: what does DNxHD stand for in the MXF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what does DNxHD stand for in the MXF?

DNxHD is a codec on par with ProRes, but available for both Windows and Macs.  MXF is the next generation container format replacing both AVI and MOV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.....yeah "Telestream"......a program that does what Adobe SHOULD DO....considering its cost.

.......maybe they will even sell it to you on a monthly " subscription" basis....ya know, like the Sopranos crew did with pizza parlors !!!!........AAAAY!!!!......OHHHHHH!!...........

........FUGGETABOUTIT !!!!!!!........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use ffmpeg.  It's free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rejdmast1. Where do I get ffmpeg? I've heard of mpeg but what does the ff stand for...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google is your best friend:

http://www.ffmpeg.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're funny. Did a search after asking. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rejdmast1 wrote:

I use ffmpeg.  It's free.

And a gross patent violation of Apple's interlectual property.

ffmpeg did a non-clean room (ie illegal in the USA) reverse engineering of the ProRes format to work out how it worked and then implemented it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JFPhoton,

Though Episode can do this, I don't know of any NLEs that can output ProRes from a Windows machine. I'm sure it's not a trivial task. If you really want this, please file a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

In the mean time, check out DNxHD.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin. It probably is worth asking adobe to consider this since I'm not the first to ask. I saw threads from all the way back to 2011 and still no resolution... Adobe? Listening?

And I still don't know how to match up or find DNxHD. I'm not making the connection to the Premiere Pro output options...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keaproductions wrote:

Thanks, Kevin. It probably is worth asking adobe to consider this since I'm not the first to ask. I saw threads from all the way back to 2011 and still no resolution

Hi keaproductions,

By all means, make a feature request for it. Here's the link: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, again, Jim. However, I don't know where to find DNxHD with MXF. I don't seem to be able to match it up with the PremierePro options...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a search about DNxHD with MXF and see that it is an AVID format... is there a way to use it with premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avid Codecs 2.3.7 - DNxHD (pc or mac) / 'virtually lossless'

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/en423319

All you need to know about encoding DNxHD by Fuzzy Barsik:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5331048#5331048

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Joe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....which version of PPro are you using ?...its important vis a vis the DNxHD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines