• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what is the difference between the enterprise .msi & the website .exe

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have 1/2 of my company on the 11.8.800.94 from the enterprise .msi install (Software distribution) this version has no installer GUID with a install size of 16.9MB

the other half of the company is on the website .exe version of 11.8.800.94, this version has an installer GUID with a install size of 6.00MB

i would like to know the difference between both and why the enterprise .msi has no install GUID, this makes it hard for admins to do a software distribution with no GUID from an enterprise .msi.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds odd.. an msi ought to have a ProductCode, unless you mean something else

check it with orca (which is burried somewhere in a sub installation of Platform SDK, or use a script, there are several around that can check in the msi's installer database)

or check it's registration in the registry (various locations)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked around a bit, and in the enterprise I work, we just download the msi from website here, and asure only that version is deployed.

downloading several versions, you could check it's digital signature (looks like june 21) aside it's size if the name differs

this is what I have at the moment (bytes, name):

18,124,181 flashplayer11_8r800_94_mac.dmg

17,737,608 flashplayer11_8r800_94_win.exe

18,834,944 flashplayer11_8r800_94_win.msi

17,139,080 flashplayer11_8r800_94_winax.exe

18,231,296 flashplayer11_8r800_94_winax.msi

17,139,080 install_flash_player_11_active_x.exe

18,231,296 install_flash_player_11_active_x.msi

233,289 uninstall_flashplayer11_8r800_94_mac.dmg

815,496 uninstall_flashplayer11_8r800_94_win.exe

... 6MB? one would think that one was missing half (32bit-64bit).. like a repackaged installer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when a new version of flash is available i get it from http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

i use Specops for deployment. in my deployments i target windows installer GUID's for upgrades.

looking at prog's and features you can see 2 different installs:

8-19-2013 9-06-09 AM.jpg

8-19-2013 9-09-47 AM.jpg

this install (16.9MB) with a GUID is the *.msi package from http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html (Plugin)

the first 6MB install is direct from http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/.....just to confirm what im saying i just installed it on my VM and got the same 6MB install and no GUID.

Capture.PNG

looking at all digital signatures for the .msi packages it lists ‎Friday, ‎June ‎21, ‎2013 7:16:27 PM

im not sure if im getting the wrong package from adobe or why is the web installer different from the enterprise deployment .msi?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i guess this has baffeled everyone that works at adobe? no answers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like screenshots from Programs and Features

I have never looked into that, as those numbers were never an issue.

There is some algorithm that defines Size based on installed package.

But rarely those figures present the actual occupied disk space of the installed software.

Possibly, I didn't check this, the flash installers register differently. MS Office for example uses 1 entry (PROPLUS) under the Uninstall key to display its presence on the system, but has many MSI packages installed. Those are labeled with the SystemComponent value set to '1', so you don't see them in the control panel.

So the end result might be the same installed source, but you see different installed sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines