Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge's parent application is not active

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2012 Jul 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've suddenly come across a problem with Adobe Bridge where it isn't allowing me to open .CR2 files into Camera Raw. When I right click on an image in Bridge, an error message pops up:

"Bridge's parent application is not active. Bridge requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature."

Originally, I opened Photoshop CS6, then File > Browse in Bridge. I've have opened ACR hundreds of times on this computer so I don't understand why it wants me to open it to be able to use it. I've opened a RAW file from Windows explorer, but when going back to Bridge, the same error occurs.

Does anyone know what the problem is here and how to fix it?

Running Windows 7, Photoshop CS6 64-bit, ACR 7.1, Bridge CS6 64-bit.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Pygmaeous wrote:

I found an answer that has worked for a lot of people and, more importantly, worked for me in a flickr post by girl_of_tea - http://www.flickr.com/photos/norkabizi/5159300558/

It says

app.box.com/s/kr8t53nudkf14vdweckm

Download the amtlib.dll file in the link above and paste into C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS6 (64 Bit) ( replace the old one )

This solutions works for me! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it worked before I would reset preferences.  Hold down Ctrl key and start bridge.  Should get a reset window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I've reset the preferences and purge entire thumbnail cache and the error still occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've got the same problem. I updated to CS6 2 days ago and everything was fine until now.

If I double click a Raw file inside Bridge, it opens within Camera Raw.

It won't open a JPG the same way. I get the same error, "Bridge's parent application is not active. Bridge requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature."  

The only way I've found to open a JPG' in Camera Raw  which is a pain,

is to go into Photoshop,

File,

Open As,

navigate to the image you want to open in Camera Raw,

expand the lower drop down list,

select Camera Raw,

then Open.

The jpg will now open inside Camera Raw.

If anyone has a quicker way then I'd appreciate it

Graham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

coatesy69,

In edit/camera raw preferences do you have jpeg set to automatically open with settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes I do have those checked

I can edit Camera Raw preferences from inside Photoshop but if I click on Camera raw preferences inside Bridge I get the same message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You problem is long standing.  There is no one answer as it is something on your computer causing the problem.  It is looking for another program to launce Bridge.   Have you had any Adobe trials that have not been unistalled? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I Have sorted it out.

It was what you said about a trial. I subscribed to Photoshop on a yearly basis and activated it online. Then for no reason a trial box kept popping up.

I phoned Adobe who managed to get it sorted. Now I can open Jpegs in Camera Raw through Bridge.

Thanks for your help

Graham  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Synchronization wrote:

. I've have opened ACR hundreds of times on this computer so I don't understand why it wants me to open it to be able to use it. I've opened a RAW file from Windows explorer, but when going back to Bridge, the same error occurs.

You need to think back to what has changed since it worked in ACR.  Did you add any software, hardware, major update in anti-virus, driver, change file loaction in Adobe, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone else is still having this problem, I've found a simple solution. Go to the Bridge folder in Program Files. Rename AMTLib.dll to AMTLib.dlx. COPY (I mean copy, don't move) the atmlib.dll file from the Photoshop folder in Program Files to the Bridge folder. Restart Bridge. Problem should be solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work at all. I simply cannot start Bridge at all. Is there anyplace I can take my computer to have someone fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim Repp wrote:

Didn't work at all. I simply cannot start Bridge at all. Is there anyplace I can take my computer to have someone fix this?

What OS?  Several users with Mountain Lion OS have found CS2 and possibly CS3 caused Bridge from opening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got it to launch via instructions from another web page. In my case, I am running Win 7 Professional 64-bit and previously loaded Photoshop and Bridge versions CS2 (along with Illustrator and InDesign CS2), which might have been part of the problem. The solution for me was to create an empty "Bridge CS2" folder in the C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\. Worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2012 Nov 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim Repp wrote:

I finally got it to launch via instructions from another web page. In my case, I am running Win 7 Professional 64-bit and previously loaded Photoshop and Bridge versions CS2 (along with Illustrator and InDesign CS2), which might have been part of the problem. The solution for me was to create an empty "Bridge CS2" folder in the C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\. Worked like a charm.

Did not work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did read about a solution that worked for people who had used a crack

where you change the amtlib.framework folder for every CS6 application.

So this only applies if this is what you've done.

If you did the same for Bridge and replaced its amtlib.framework folder,

go back and put back the original files and it should work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the method that I found on YouTube which worked for me. Scroll down to the comments section of the video and there's plenty of people who found that this "solution" didn't work for them.

There must be a way around this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi frodoboy, This is probably way to late to rely to a post this old but you are an absolute Genius. As I have ia CS6 with CS6 Bridge & Photoshop CC

I couldn't quite do as you said but what I did was to copy the amtlib.dll in ai to the AMTlib.dll in Bridge and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, Problem solved!!!!!

THANKS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% Problem Solved!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2016 Aug 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to Program Files, I am not able to find Bridge.  Even though clearly I have Bridge located as I use it.  Please tell me how to get there so I can resolve this problem.  I have CS4, Windows 10 laptop.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works!!!!

Thx very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced same problem as I want to use Camera Raw with Smart Objects. I followed this instruction and it works!!! Thanks alot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 23, 2012 Dec 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't go fooling around with the Amtlib.dll files. Just go to Photoshop/File....... Open As..... Scroll down to the image you require and choose the box with Open As Camera Raw. This works so you don't have to try and solve a problem that has no solution that I can see, apart from reinstalling. This method is easy and takes very little time.

This problem only came to my system after updating Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2012 Dec 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that you would say that. I did the "fix" and have never had any

problems and I don't have to do an "open as" as you suggested. The Amtlib

dll fix has permanently solved the problem even with updates. It just got

corrupted somehow with an earlier update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this answer while listening to lynda.com Advanced Adobe Photoshop Class Camera Raw Chapter.

The answer is simple.

Open Bridge

edit

preferences

under behavior section in middle of options click double click edits Camera Raw settings in Bridge.

click ok

It must be a double click on the pictures in bridge to open pictures in camera raw.

I just tried a single click and the same error message came up.

The results of this modification mean in english that bridge will no longer care about it's parent Photoshop being opened or not.

Hope this helps.

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines