• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash version is newer than newest released version???

Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, checked my Flash version and that is a bit weird... "Your version11.8.800.174 Latest Version11.8.800.168"

And I don´t seem to find my version from Adobes sites and it seems to be newer than newest released version...

I have Not installed any RC etc versions for Flash, autoupdate taking care of whole process for me...

Win 7 Ent 64-bit, IE10, both fully patched from Winupdate...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same thing in our environment (Windows 7 Ent 64-bit, IE9) on numerous computers. This mysterious 11.8.800.174 has autoupdated on the 13th and seems to be crashing IE constantly. I tried uninstalling the 11.8.800.174 and reinstalling 11.8.800.168, but then 11.8.800.168 install fails.

In the end, I had to script an uninstallation with "uninstall_flash_player.exe -uninstall" and after that the 11.8.800.168 version installed successfully. I also disabled the autoupdate service with the mms.cfg on the same go, as the autoupdater seems to be creating more problems than it fixes. The autoupdater also neglects to install 64-bit versions of Flash even if they were previously installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SGBEW234 wrote:

The autoupdater also neglects to install 64-bit versions of Flash even if they were previously installed.

11.8.800.174 was automatically installed on my system in both 32-bit and 64-bit folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

SGBEW234 wrote:

The autoupdater also neglects to install 64-bit versions of Flash even if they were previously installed.

11.8.800.174 was automatically installed on my system in both 32-bit and 64-bit folders.

The autoupdater definitely has something wrong with updating the 64-bit version. I have been seeing this problem for many months and in different environments. I'm talking about the activex version that has been deployed through a MSI package. After the autoupdater does the update, Flash Player in IE9 64bit does not work. Even after reboots... This is in an environment where users don't have admin rights on their computers. When I deploy Flash player again with the MSI package, the situation is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a completely different issue.  I suggest that you file a bug report at https://bugbase.adobe.com/ and start a new topic with a description of the issue, and a link to the bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pat Willener wrote:

That is a completely different issue.  I suggest that you file a bug report at https://bugbase.adobe.com/ and start a new topic with a description of the issue, and a link to the bug report.

What I'm trying to say is pushing updates through the autoupdate service without prior notification even on Adobe's own webpages is not acceptable. I was merely pointing to other problems with the Flash Player autoupdate with the IE9 64-bit issue.

To reiterate, we got reports of IE9 crashing on Flash Plugin load and saw there was a Flash Player ActiveX -version that seemed not to be publicly available. We had no prior similar reports when the previous 11.8.800.168 was installed by our own deployment, thus the problem seemed to be with this new autoupdating 11.8.800.174 version. Regular uninstall and reinstall of the 11.8.800.168 didn't work as the removal broke something only the separate uninstall tool was able to clean up. Reinstalling 11.8.800.168 after the cleanup seemed to fix this problem. No more IE9 crashing. I'll have to see what the situation is on monday and decide on whether to install the 11.8.800.174 again after testing it.

I understand that Adobe must have had it's reasons to rush an update like that without information (at least I couldn't find it at the moment). Our environment was probably unfortunate to get the problems only with the update, but I'll keep the autoupdate switched off from now on and stick to our own centralized updates that I can test beforehand. For us, leaving the autoupdate on was only a precaution in case a computer wasn't connected to our internal systems for awhile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player 11.8.800.174 was released yesterday as an emergency fix for various problems in 11.8.800.168.  The update was pushed out via automatic background update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no information about the update on these pages at the time of installation:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

These pages have now been fixed.

There's still nothing here, though:

https://www.adobe.com/support/security/

It would be advisable to notify and inform first and then push the installation. As there was no information about the new version, I came to the conclusion it must be an accidental deployment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines