Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC Multicam - 2 camera angles being split into multiple tracks

Contributor ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love CC's multicam feature, but keep having this problem:

In Pluraleyes, I would lay all my Cam 1 material on video track 1 (multiple clips), then Cam 2 on video track 2 (multiple clips), add my audio, and create a multicam track that kept all Cam 1 clips on track 1 and all Cam 2 clips on track 2.

in Premiere Pro CC, multicam creation can only be exectued via the browser, not the timeline. So Premiere syncs everything up and throws each clip onto the next video track up, leaving you with a mountain of timeline media that reads out tiny and jumps all over the place when viewed in the multicam monitor (see picture).

What I'm after:

- the ability to create multicam sequences based on the timeline (lay out all clips from each cam on whichever video track I want, select all, then choose "create multicam sequence") so that the end result isn't 20 video tracks I have to manually collapse into 2 (time waster).

Help Adobe?

thanks

jesse

Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 10.58.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 11.11.45 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Premiere Pro CC, multicam creation can only be exectued via the browser, not the timeline.

That is not true.  The original (and still best, I think) method of creating a multicam sequence still works just fine.

1. Create a sequence and add your clips.

2. Manually sync all clips.

3. Create a second sequence, and nest the first into it.

4. Right click that nested sequence and Enable Multicam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a funny guy Jim. While we're at it let's go back to editing reel to reel, riding donkeys and sending telegrams...

Anyone out there with an actual fix for this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not trying to be funny.

You may not like it, but that is the fix.  PP treats every clip as a new angle, nothing you can do about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just noticed the same thing. I ended up just manually rearranging the tracks to my liking after using the sync to audio feature- with one camera per track.

Depending on the type of shoot, I do think that Jim's old school method may actually be faster than the auto sync time- esp if you are using slates/ hand claps with paired stop/starts on A/V sources. Not so much with a live event maybe...

The real problem I'm having, is once I've got my multicam sequence to my liking, with 2 Vidtracks and 4 Aud, and deleting all empty tracks- When cutting the multicam footage into my actual sequences, it comes in with 18 Audio tracks!

No amount of track deselection helps with this.

This is going to be a real problem as I add new material into an existing a rough cut, with a temp 5 track mix.

Jim- any ideas on how I can specify only my best 1 or 2 tracks of audio for inserts/overwrite edits?

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe this still hasn't been fixed after 7 years! I so badly want to use Premiere as my go to NLE but simple things like this, merging clips erasing audio metadata, and the fact that you can't actually edit using the proxy workflow if the original full res media isn't attached (which goes completely against the reason for proxies, and something that FCPX does so well as easily). Think this might be the last time I use PP for a long documentary project, unless these simple but vitalfunctions get fixed.

Anyway, in case someone stumbles across this, *I think*  I fixed the problem of multicam creating lots of tracks. I did the technique of opening the multicam clip in Timeline, then brought all the clips onto the topone track, and deleted all the empty tracks. Then in the browser, right click on the multiclip>modify audio channels and then just select the number of audio clips you want to cut with in your edit and which tracks you want which audio to be on. So in my case its 4 clips (2 tracks for camera audio and 2 for the extarnal audio). Worked for me. I first tried having just 1 clip on 1 channel, which is you wanted a slimmed down timeline might be worthwhile, it seems the amount of audio clips you have dont effect the actual multiclip, just how many tracks you bring into a new edit. If that makes sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if this is of any help, but you can definitely edit with just the proxy having main media offline. You can test this by having a few clips with attached proxy on a timeline - if you right click on them in the Project window and choose "Make Offline," you'll still see picture after they're no longer connected, which will be your proxy media. So if you receive a project and only have proxy media, you can reconnect just the proxy and work off of that. I've done a number a jobs like that which were then reconnected to full res clips on the client's end after I was done for color and finishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly for me. I have mutliple clips from each of my three cameras and I manually lined them up and just made sure to put all clips from the same camera on the same video track and when I created the nest and enabled multicam, it only had the three angles to choose from in the multicam editor, not an angle for each clip.

I know this takes more time than the autosync, but man it sure did save me some serious editing time in the long run.

Thanks Jim!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - this is terrible that Premiere can't put all clips from the same camera on the same track. FCP would actually do this, and that version 7 is how many years old?

I'm working on a golf shoot. 9 camera hitting start and stop all day on different part of the course. We're talking 700-800 clips. All timecode is synced. Unbelievable that I can't just select them all and hope to get them on a single track. I hope this becomes an option. It can't be that difficult to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Adobe's main site, there's a page for wish-requests & bug reporting ... go there, and please file this as a feature request. It's been talked of numerous times, and yea, sounds a lot 'swifter' to use than the current one. Request away, we users do get them to do things for us every once & a while. (They're really quite nice people ...  )

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did go there and log it as a bug!

There's no way this process could be a convenient way to synchronize clips. Yes it's great and fast to sync but you have to painfully go through your sequence moving clips down to only 2 or 3 tracks instead of 100+!

Please adobe fix this asap, it is quiet a huge part of what I do while editing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2014 Nov 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't actually worked a multi-cam project using the multi-cam setup as ... the only things I've done had a couple clips from another cam to cut in and it was vastly simpler to cut them in "manually". But ... I've got one sitting here staring at me I haven't got to as it's gonna need three cams constantly cut forth & back, one shooting continually (mostly) and the other two on & off. Looked to be a bear, no "hurry" ... would be awfully nice if this was a slicker process.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a rather old post, but have been having a play with multi cam for a while and watching a few videos so help this helps.

What I do to get rid of extra cameras that are generated with each new multicam process.

The process im mentioning is very briefly mentioned in this clip : Adobe Premiere Pro CC Tutorial | Performing Multi-Camera Editing - YouTube

Once I have made my multicam source file.

Drag to new sequence icon (similar to what is done with a clip and want to make a quick sequence from clips properties.)

You will have the green nested footage (this will have multicam enabled by default.

Ctrl + Double Left click the green bar. This reveals all the clips and audio.

Arrange the clips onto which ever video layer you want (each representing a Camera)

Double click the the sequence created to reset the sequence to have the green bar for editing but with only 2-3 cameras as desired and not the 12 you dread.

First time poster, sorry if not overly clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just my 2 cents worth. It seems that this is still an issue, where multiple takes are each put onto separate video changes for a multicam sequence.

I don't see this as a massive issue though, because the footage doesn't overlap - so pushing the separate takes down onto 2 video tracks is quick - especially if you use some keyboard shortcuts:

1) use the select tool (V) to select a track to move

2) ALT+DownArrow will move the clip down to the track below it.

Even with a large number of takes, this is quick to do.

It would be ideal if Premiere could recognise when footage is all from the same camera and align them all on the same track - however, this is only a minor inconvenience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You listed a good workaround. And there are some major changes coming to Multi-Cam workflows in the next release that will make all this easier. Check with the Adobe blog pages to see what they've posted on this.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love this to be a new feature. Every demo and tutorial I see completely forgoes this extremely important aspect of MC workflow - multiple files creating separate angles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I found to get around it is to use PluralEyes by Red Giant. Works as the PP one should. It treats camera files on the same track as the same camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines