• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The importer reported a generic error"

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst this is a useful error message, it still hasn't helped me resolve the issue.

I currently have 5 sequences, all containing the same file type - but when I load the premiere pro file it asks me the location of two of the files, both in seperate sequences - all the other files are located just fine. I pointed the "Where's this file..." process in the right direction and on two of the files (the two missing ones)  I got the above error message. Why? How can I fix it?

The file types are .MTS.

I did start the project in CS5.5 and then when I got CS6 I opened it up in that, and it converted everything just fine. It's only when I've re-opened the project the next day I got this problem. Could this be the reason? But why only two of the files and not the rest?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Changing anything inside the top level folder for tapeless media is generally not a good idea.  It can break functionality in some cases.

This likely would have been resolved by deleting the Media Cache files and cleaning the Media Cache Database, which won't break anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry also, one other thing:

My camera has shot at 25fps - but when I open the new sequence it tells me 'the sequence settings are incorrect, do I want to auto change them to the correct ones', so I clicked yes - and now the sequence settings are 50fps when that's actually incorrect. Very confusing 😕

The camera is a Panasonic TM700

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, about sequence settings

Please NOTE that the PPro CS6 screen may look a bit different

For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666

Second, about MTS files

CS6 Bug AVCHD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1004369?tstart=0

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1004369?start=0

Third, do be sure you update to PPro 6.0.1

All Adobe updates start here and select product, read to see if you need to install

updates in number order, or if the updates are cumulative for the individual product

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had a similar problem... after opening a project and sequence I have been working on for some time, one piece of media (.MTS file), out of hundreds, has gone offline and when I tried to re-link it, I got a File Import Failure "Importer reported a Generic Error" message...

I have been working on this project and with this media for months (in other projects as well) with no issues. I updated to PPro 6.0.2 a few days ago, but have had no issues with this media until this morning.

Hmmmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing just happened to me this morning. Opened up a CS6 project that I have been working on for some time and a couple of random .mts files have gone offline.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? Perhaps trash the preference file and reboot?

Shane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. Very frustrating. Some help from Adobe would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the link between the problem and this "solution".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Activation issues may be preventing certain importers from functioning correctly. That is why Jim suggested that solution, and I agree with him. It's the first thing I would try.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW. It's so great to see how helpful the Adobe staff is. <Insult removed by moderator>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. I've been working on the same project on and off for months, when a clip went offline this morning.

What worked for me was making a copy of the footage and moving it to a different folder. It instantly fixed the problem. It's a short term fix for something that Adobe should be addressing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this error in CC related to licensing issues.

I highly recommend using Chat and getting specific help from Adobe Support.  For me something was corrupted and each time, Support had me clear certain files and folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nicburon wrote:

I have the exact same problem. I've been working on the same project on and off for months, when a clip went offline this morning.

What worked for me was making a copy of the footage and moving it to a different folder. It instantly fixed the problem. It's a short term fix for something that Adobe should be addressing.

Thanks for reporting Nic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only way to fix a large ammount of files.. Just copy the footage to other folder(s)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I tried deleting the caches as well as reinstalling and it still had issues. Once I renamed the folder where the footage was located did the error finally disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 years later...still getting the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8. Years. Later. Unreal. I lost an entire weekend of productivity and sleep to this 8-year old issue. 

ginnjoose_0-1613592189570.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to copy+paste your original clip to another folder and import it again. But make sure the clip itself is good, not damaged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this problem with MTS files from my PANASONIC HMC151 camera.

There was no problem when I first loaded the there was no problem. But when I returned to a project after a week to do some minor alterations for my client, 3 out of the 15 clips were off-line and reported as having a GENERIC ERROR.

When I tried to re-import them same problem occured. Copying the files and re-naming them 10014.MTS in stead of 00014.MTS did the trick wich means there is nothing wrong with the files itself.

I hope this helps some-one who like me was in desparate need with a deadline come closer every minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing anything inside the top level folder for tapeless media is generally not a good idea.  It can break functionality in some cases.

This likely would have been resolved by deleting the Media Cache files and cleaning the Media Cache Database, which won't break anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't answer anything. Not sure why it was marked the correct answer. I tried deleting/cleaning up media cache and it still didn't solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out my resolution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks sir, worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ginnjoose_1-1613594645182.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines