Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mapping Styles from Word 2010 to RoboHelp HTML 10

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have created customized styles for myself and my team to use for authoring content, which I then import to RoboHelp, as I am the only individual who understands RoboHelp and HTML/CSS. I created a corresponding CSS style sheet in RoboHelp to correspond with the names of the Word styles. When I go to import the files in RoboHelp, I am running in to an issue with paragraph tags and heading tags.

When I import a file from a Word document, I have not found a way to map a <p> tag that is parsed from a Word document to an <h> tag, as heading tags do not appear as a selectable item in the Conversion Settings  window when importing Word files. I would be able to keep the formatting if I left the headings as <p> tags; however, it is my understanding that RoboHelp 10 search relies heavily on the heading tags for weighting search results. I have about 400 topics, and search is used heavily by those using my documentation. I would prefer to keep the <h> tags in place in the RoboHelp files and retain the search functionality, if at all possible, while finding an easier import option from Word files.

At this point, I have to manually change the HTML for each <p> tag to match the correct heading style. While Find and Replace works well for this, I would prefer to have a seamless import from Word (which bloats an HTML file horrendously, I know) by mapping from one style to the next. Has anyone found a way to map a <p> tag to an <h> tag so that the search functionality does not suffer? Or am I just approaching this the wrong way?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure where and at what stage you are trying to map but you should be able to map any style to any style. See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/importing/importing_rh9.htm which also covers Rh10.

Rh does use Word's styles to break the document into topics and usually that is done with the Word heading styles. Word does not have <p> tags as such so I assume you are referring to paragraph styles.

If I am not understanding your workflow, post back.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct in your assumption that I am referring to paragraph styles when speaking of <p> tags. The paragraph styles come over as <p> tags, and I was just thinking of my style sheet. Sorry for the confusion.

Speaking of my workflow, I'm attempting to map the styles for one topic at a time when importing a new Word file. I set up a test project to test out my style sheet, as I am upgrading from RoboHelp 7 right now. .I need to get one document to map correctly to save the settings for future imports.

From the Import window, I click the Edit... button in the Word Document section. After RoboHelp scans the Word file, a list of all the styles from the Word document display. When I attempt to select from the available styles I want to map to from my RoboHelp style sheet, I don't have the option to select the heading styles I created in my RoboHelp CSS file. Does this provide you enough information to give you context on how I am attempting to map the styles?

I found this article that leads me to belive that RoboHelp does not support mapping to a customized heading style from a CSS file. I realize that this is around the printed output, but it states the following:

If custom heading styles aren’t named in the format Heading <number>, they are not treated as headings.

If it doesn't work going from HTML to printed output, I'm guessing that there is not support going from Word to HTML. Am I wrong in this assumption? Do I just need to alter my style sheet to only use the standard <h> tags to fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will reply as soon as I can. I'm not ignoring your information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

No worries. I appreciate your help. I altered my style sheet to reflect the standard heading tags, and mapping works as expected. It was causing me too much grief to have to attempt to map to a non-standard heading tag. I also moved the content from the custom style sheet I imported to RoboHelp 10 into the default style sheet. I doubt that had any bearing on the issue I was experiencing, but it works now.

Have a great day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear all is well.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp