• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I export to MP4 it creates an M4V instead.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been successfully using Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 for quite some time now.  But my recent video has some exporting issues.

For some reason whenever I export my video to an MP4 format (H.246), the export will either take 5+ hours (for a 20 minute video) or it will take 15 minutes (same exact work area).  In both cases I end up with an unreadable .mp4 file and an additional .m4v file (no clue why this suddenly gets created, it never has before), but in the latter case (when it only takes 15 minutes to export), the output file is only about 24 bytes.

The ONLY thing I've done different in this video than past videos is I used 2 MP3 files (audio only) for an intro and outro music on the video. 

I always make sure to choose 'render entire work area' before exporting.

Does anyone know why my exported files are unreadable using the above information?  I've made dozens of videos prior to this one all using the same recording gear with no issues during export.  The only difference this time is the addition of the .mp3 file used as another audio source added to the work area/final video. 

Any help or suggestions on how to fix this or what I'm doing wrong would be great!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

This problem has also been plaguing me today. Here are my specifics and how I solved it (Expanding on what

CONFIRMED WORK AROUND! The .m4v file gets created while encoding, but Adobe Media Encoder does not re-pack it back into the .mp4 unless you select the "Export Audio" in Adobe Premier export prior to queuing. If you don't want audio, mute the individual tracks and still export audio.

My details:

Just bought a GH4, shooting 4k 25fps MOV, trying to simply trim a few clip

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When its encoding to mp4 it temporarly creates a m4v. When de encoding is finished it changes to mp4.

So somewere down the line the encoding is not going as it should.

Change the mp3 to a wave.

See it that will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was having the same problem as the person before. Export audio is checked, but it's still exporting as mv4 file. I also went through the settings to make sure they were the same as the video footage I exported and placed in que before and it still exports as a m4v file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing this problem right now, have u found the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't figure out a solution and ended up just exporting as uncompressed AVI instead.  I had been exporting audio, as other users had mentioned, but still ran into this issue.  Queueing and instant export had the same result.  I finally got fed up and just used the different file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always make sure to choose 'render entire work area' before exporting.

You're better off not doing that.  More often than not it's a waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, what does 'render entire work area' do exactly?  I've always been told to do it before exporting, but I've never been clear on what it actually does.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It renders previews for your sequence Work Area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It renders previews for your sequence Work Area.

...so unless you have "use previews" checked, there is no need to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...so unless you have "use previews" checked, there is no need to do it.

Unless you are unable to achieve fluid playback

without rendering Timeline Previews.

That is the primary purpose of Timeline Previews.

Red, yellow, and green render bars and what they mean

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And unless you changed a sequence preview codec from default MPEG2 to a production one, it's hardly wise to use those previews in final rendering, whereas unless you're on a beefy machine, on which difference in render time between default MPEG2 with GOP=3 and a production codec of your choice is unnoticeable, it's hardly wise to make such changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent points, well made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview codec (i frame only mpeg) is off lesser quality and therefor previews should not be used in final export unless you want a quick draft of the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another excellent point!

There's a reason they're called "Previews".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a reason they're called "Previews".

You are so right (hate to admit )

But it is not all that clear to everybody that the preview is also a lesser codec for certain formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also unless dynamically linked compositions are quite simple, it's hardly wise to render previews for them in PrPro, unless you already replaced them with DIs and still can't get smooth playback...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WhatHeSaid.png

What he said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you just believe with no doubts, here is good old discussion on Dynamic Link workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An oldie but goodie!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2013 Sep 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks joe, i was looking for that - centralhd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Teri

Thank you for contacting Adobe Forums.

Please be sure you using the electricity connection to your Premiere.

Please reply if this works or not.

Happy Editing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, does anyone have an understanding / solution of the original problem, i.e. the export being a useless 24kb m4v file? I'm pretty newb to premiere so no clue what work around may be possible. Also, I tried exported a 4 second segment of the project which produced a perfectly good, and useable, mp4 file. Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea this post got way off track.. I just encountered this probelm my self,,  I have never had this problem before but i can not seem to export a proper file.. and of course i really need to.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Q

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey.. so i just read a post elsewhere.. turn on your audio.. i am not using any audio with this movie.. and it worked. Now i have exported others not too long ago with audio turned off.. I have no idea, But it is working for my current deadline.

Q

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one, do you have the link to this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines