• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Was AE CC even tested before it's release. OMG the bugs!!

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I just installed AE CC on a Dell T7600 Dual Quad Core 32 Thread, 64gb Ram Quadro K5000 Video card system. The reason I am saying this is it's not a slouch of a maching by any means.

First Bug

Opened up a project from AE CS6 scrubbed the timeline and bang crash, "AE has crashed do to classic render"

Click on the menu's at the top File, Edit Layer etc. You click and you have to wait 5 seconds for the menu to open up. This worked fine and very fast  in AE CS6 what changed.

Multi Processing rendering in Ram Preview is worse than what it was in AE CS6. Their are numerous boards all over the web talking about how Multi Processing was broken in AE CS6 you would think they would of fixed it by AE CC. Went to do a ram preview using multi processor support and first it started saying it was saving my project (not sure why that was) Then my system tried rendering it and it was going so slow, All processors were being used but AE was only rendering one frame at a time. When I tried to stop it by pressing the esc keep like usual the system locked up solid. I had to end all processes through the taskbar to get access to my system again.

If Disk caching is used then the Multi processing won't even get past the first frame becasue it keeps using the cached files. What ever you have cached it keeps rendering right up to that point. Again this has been addressed as a huge issue with AE CS6 why is it still not fixed.

This is just what I found after using AE CC for 5min.

Hope it works better for everyone else.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Today, we released the After Effects CC (12.1) update, which fixes this slowness when using menus and keyboard shortcuts on some machines.

Try the update and let us know how it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was AE CC even tested before it's release

Sure it was, but people probably got too carried away with Cineware to pay attention to other things... *lol*

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, you're right. Maybe instead of focussing on new features they should focus on having a stable piece of software. Cineware is great and all but come off it Multi Processing, disk caching and a software that doesen't crash as soon as you go to do somthing should be more of a focus.

Even diabling disk cache which is what you have to do in AE CS6 to make multi processing work well doesen't even fix the problem in AE CC.

Tried rendering the scene again and AE CC interface started blinking repeatedly and up in the corner of the window not responding.

Even going to help updates it' referencing the old Adobe Applicatoin updates not the new improved Creative Cloud Updater they just launched. 

They better fix this soon or NUKE's going to benefit big time.

I forgot to mention I'm running Windows 7 64bit Service Pack 1, Everything is up to date and I am using the newest Nvidia Quadro k5000 drivers ver 320.00

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12 hours of heavy duty production and a 3 hour render on a very complex project with no problems. Starting in on another project this morning. I suggest you look at your system config.

Kind of agree with you on MP rendering because most plug-ins are still not working with it and it kills render time when it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thanks for the response

Are you getting any of the issues I mentioned slow menu's on the top of the screen. Are you rendering using multi processors. Are you suing CPU or GPU for your performance settings. I have no issues with AE CS6 if I don't use Disk Caching or multi processing everything works great. Fast menu's stable performance etc. If it works well in AE CS6 why wouldn't it work in AE CC? What operating system are you using and which graphic card do you have?

Any answers to my questions would be a great help

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP is off. I'm on a MacBook Pro Retina that's loaded to the max. The project involves lots of text layers, motion tracked video, some C4D objects, and a bunch of 3D shape layers and 3D text. Trapcode plug-ins and color correction including colorista are used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a similar situation.  Menu opening and most shortcuts (ctrl+a is a good one to test) are delayed a few seconds.  Those issues and ScriptUI panel layout bugs have kept me from moving a couple projects to CC.

This problem seems a bit familiar... Might have been in one point release of CS6?

Win 7 64-bit

64 GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro 4000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul

Thanks for the message. The craziest thing has happened now. Today I just tried AE CC and the menu is not slow anymore and ctrl+a works great as well. The only thing I changed was updated IE9 to IE10 (which I don't think that would have any effect) What I think did have an effect though is went into my preferences/previews/GPU Information and set it to CPU instead of when it defaulted to GPU. This has fixed all the slow issues and the Multi Processing problems as well.

So from the looks of it your specs are very close to might it looks like it's a NVIDIA Quadro Card issue.

Hope this helps you out, give it a try and see if that fixes your issues as well. let me know if it does

Update:

After further investigation I changed it back to GPU to see if that was the problem and it's not for some reason everything is fixed today so what ever updates IE10 did to my computer it fixed the issue. Very strange

Thanks,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got excited when I read this but unfortunately IE10 has no affect on my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep....really,really slow!

My system: i7980x,GTX680 4GB,DX58SO with fast 12GB ram...in CS6 response of shirtcuts was superquick,now if i press P for position...wait...press C for camera tools...wait...press CTRL+Z....wait...press S for scale...wait...enter in the Preference menù....wait...it's really annoying!

What's up in AE CC?

Multiprocessing is work and not work...there are really some tweaks to do and they have to be made very soon!

CC is a great deal,but there are many bugs here...Lightroom that opens by itself sometimes when i put an external HD...Premiere splash screen appears after 30sec delay on the first time i open it,Photoshop stay there another 30sec before i can press New-File...

And there is no system problem at all with all of us that have this problems,because all works really well with CS6...

Hope that CC will mantein what promised....for now there are a lot of bugs...and a new Premiere version but i have not find yet which bug are fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what we know about the issue with slowness when clicking to open a menu or when using a keyboard shortcut. (We're still digging, though, so it may turn out that some of this is incomplete or incorrect.)

Because of a change for After Effects CC (12.0) that shows the activated user in the menus, After Effects is checking a file on disk each time that menus are accessed. Because of the way that we implement keyboard shortcuts, this also means that the file is checked each time a keyboard shortcut is used.

On computers where disk access is slow (e.g., because the disk is slow, the bus is slow, or something else is reading from the disk at the same time), this simple check of a file can add a noticeable amount of time---maybe half a second or even a couple of seconds in some cases.

We are in the process of fixing this. It is my hope (but not a promise) that we'll be able to have a good fix in place for the next update, which we're targeting for September.

In the meantime, here's how you should be able to mitigate the problem:

Make sure that your software is installed on the fastest disk that you have, preferably an SSD. If you don't have an SSD, then at least make sure that your software (applications and OS) are not stored on the same drive from which you're reading footage or to which you're writing output files. And certainly don't run applications with high disk access (like WinZip or anti-virus software that intervenes at every disk access, just for a couple of examples) while you are working with After Effects. (BTW, this is all good advice for high performance even without this bug.)

If you make these changes and notice an improvement, let us know. Actually, let us know either way so that we can collect more information.

So, how did this get past us? I think that it's because we tend to test on computers that are set up as I describe above, including tending to use SSDs and having our disk access spread across multiple disks. That said, we do apologize for letting this get out and inconvenience you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 20, 2013 Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just verified a fix for this menu and shortcut delay problem, so I can say with certainty that this fix will be coming in After Effects CC (12.1), which is due for release in mid-October:

http://bit.ly/AE_CC_12dot1_details

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Today, we released the After Effects CC (12.1) update, which fixes this slowness when using menus and keyboard shortcuts on some machines.

Try the update and let us know how it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

Thanks for the message. After reading I can see why you aren't having the same issue with me and others. I'm on a PC and trying to use Multi processing and you are on a mac and not using Multi processing so really it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks for letting me know your specs the issue looks like it could be due to windows 7 64bit or the nvidia quadro card drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point of my post was to Turn off multi processing unless you know for sure that all of your plug-ins and the codecs you are using are compatible with rendering multiple frames simultaneously. In many cases the only thing you can render with these settings is an image sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nuke is Nuke and AE is AE. Sure, there are many things in AE that suck balls, but so does doing anything with text and graphics in Nuke for instance. Simply different tools for different workflows and markets. Nuke's complexity would be beyond most people's ability and skill to use it, anyway. In fact I think that things were a lot better if AE didn't try all so eagerly to be like Nuke...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes you're right Nke is Nuke and if I were to pick which one I would definitely go with AE, but they both have their benefits like any piece of software. I totally agree AE should stay true to what AE is all about and not try and copy other programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines