• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash Player

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was instructed by Yahoo Messenger's customer care to uninstall and reinstall Adobe Flash Player. I am operating a Windows Vista 32 bit, and use Firefox as my browser, their latest version. I uninstalled Flash Player with no problems, and the download was just as easy. However, I cannot get it to install. I tell the system to Run the installer, then when windows asks the security question, I answer Yes to let the installer run. At that point, nothing happens. I never see the installer at all. I wait several hours, then try to download and install again, only to be told, "only one instance of this application can run at a time." I have tried this several times this week with no success. I also have Windows Security Essentials anti-virus and Malwarebytes malware program on my system. I've tried to install Flash Player both with them turned on and with them turned off. What else do I need to try to get a successful install?

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

I'd try a repair first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

if that fails, install IE 9 using the offline installer linked above

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the Adobe Flash Player installer directly by right clicking the following link and selecting "Save link as".

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Save it to your downloads folder or your desktop (your choice, but save it where you can find it easliy).

Reboot your system.

BEFORE you open anything else, locate the saved installer and run it (double click it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CF,

Thanks for your suggestion. I had planned to reply that it worked. It did, but not sufficiently. I followed your suggestions exactly and Flash Player DID install, BUT now I get a message that the version is incompatible with my windows o/s, which is vista. Any new suggestions?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of that message; see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1195540

All Flash Player versions are compatible with Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I posted an incorrect link above.  The screenshot instructions are http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the screenshot.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2013 Sep 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the screenshot.  This is most unusual; I will refer this to the Flash Player team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That message is odd... It DOESN'T say the Flash Player is incompatible but the ActiveX control.

I'm thinking you may need to repair Internet Explorer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I don't use IE? I almost exclusively use Firefox as my browser. Also, while it says it's the Active X control that's incompatible, Windows Problem Reports and Solutions sends me to the link at Adobe to download the Adobe Flash Player. At least, that's where the link in the screenshot directs me to. Also, I've run both Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials scans last weekend. Malwarebytes found 4 popups, and Security Essentials found no malware of any kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player for Windows comes with two installers

ActiveX for Internet Explorer: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/support/install_flash_player_ax.exe

plugin for other browsers like Firefox: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/support/install_flash_player.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kcmoroyals wrote:

What if I don't use IE? I almost exclusively use Firefox as my browser.

Internet Explorer is the only browser that uses ActiveX controls, so the error MUST be IE related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not directed @ C F McBlob, THIS IS DIRECTED AT ADOBE: STOP FORCING PEOPLE TO UPDATE THE FLASH PLAYER, IF I WANTED TO UPDATE I WOULD DO IT MYSELF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is not forcing anyone to do anything; the decision to update (auto-update or manual update) is entirely the users' choice.

I never auto-update any software; I always update manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFand Pat, apparently I have a bigger issue. It looks like I had my IE set to auto-update, and it installed IE 10 on my computer. However, I have a Vista operating system, and IE 10 IS NOT compatible. How do I get IE 10 off of a Vista machine? I went to the microsoft site, and can't find a solution. In fact, when I type in IE 10 as the issue, it only gives me Windows 7 and later as possible operating systems, not Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't know anything about Vista.  Does IE10 actually work?  If not, can you uninstall from Control Panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You DO have some serious issues, because the IE10 installer uses a script to determine the Operating System and it NEVER should have even downloaded onto a Vista computer. I've tried intentially to circumvent it to no avail.

First of all, click on the “Start” button  and type “Programs and Features” in the search box. Click on the “View installed updates” in the left pane of the menu.

Go over to the “Uninstall an update” screen and scroll down to the “Microsoft Windows” section. Simply select Internet Explorer 10 and click “Uninstall.”

It usually takes a while until the process comes to an end, so you’re strongly recommended to avoid stopping or cancelling it. A reboot is necessary to complete the removal and restore IE9.

BEFORE you uninstall 10 download the IE9 offline installer here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-9-worldwide-languages so you can reinnstall without having to connect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the microsoft site for IE and it claims that I AM running IE 10. However, I just went through the first part of your instructions, and when I went to the installed updates, the only one referencing IE was for IE 8! I'm enclosing a screen shot of the section where it is. Should I uninstall 8 and then try reinstalling IE 8?

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kcmoroyals wrote:

I went to the microsoft site for IE and it claims that I AM running IE 10.

Help>About Internet Explorer - THAT tells you what version you're running. You can't rely on a webpage from an unreliable source (Microshaft) to tell you LOCAL app info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So should my next step be to uninstall and reinstall IE8? Also, remember that this started with my being told that I was running an incompatible version of Active X controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd try a repair first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

if that fails, install IE 9 using the offline installer linked above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CF, the repair worked, but now I get a message that Yahoo Messenger needs flash.ocx which is not available in Vista. So now it looks like I need to uninstall Messenger and install an earlier version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's "out of my arena". I don't use ANY messaging service anymore. I learned years ago that ANYTHING you send or receive is the property of the message service provider (be it Google, Yahoo, AOL or MSN or whoever) and they can do whatever they want with it. That includes text, photos, and links. NOTHING you do with a messenger is private.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'flash.ocx' is a very old Flash Player version (6 or so), which indicates that your messenger application is very old.  You should install a newer version, not an older one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2013 Sep 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought once Flash Player was installed, that my problems were over. Apparently there are two different Flash Players. One is a plug-on for Firefox, which I have installed but does NOT include Active X controls. The other is Flash Player WITH Active X controls. Can any one guide me to that one, as I cannot use Yahoo Messenger without the Active X component of Flash Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2013 Sep 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there are two different versions:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Internet Exploder is the ONLY browser in existence that still uses ActiveX Controls (circa 1993). They are the reason IE is the most flawed and unsafe browser anyone can ever use.

To access the settings for Flash Playe ActiveX see:Enabling Flash Player in Internet Explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines