• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hi, is there a way to show last updated date in the breadcrumb area of webhelp?

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2013 Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is there a way to show last updated date in the breadcrumb area of webhelp in Robohelp 10?

Please see the image below. I tried doing it and I can do it only if I append this date to the logo.. But I don't want the date to

be displayed along with the logo. Can the last updated date be shown above the search bar? (as maked in the image below)?

robohelp.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Hello again

A thought occurs here about a couple of possible ways to achieve it easily.

Both methods would require creating images.

One possible way would be to create an image where the date is embedded directly as part of the image. Then use that image as the background for the banner area.

The other possible way would be to create an image that would be used as a toolbar button. The button wouldn't actually DO anything when clicked, but would simply provide the revision date.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hoping Willam will pop in here with the answer. My gut says that it's quite possible. After all, that area is nothing more than HTML code inside the frame of a frameset.

However, that's not really why I'm posting. I note this is your first post here. I might assume more will follow as time moves on. And if so, it's helpful to get terminology correct so you may communicate with us more effectively.

RoboHelp WebHelp output does have "breadcrumbs". But that's a totally different feature than what you are referring to here. What you are wanting is to insert a "last updated" area in the *Main Toolbar* area of a WebHelp output.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for correcting the terminology Rick..I'm waiting eagerly for someone to help me with this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the information shown in the top pane, but I don't see an obvious way of doing this automatically.

You could add a button to the skin with the date displayed, but you will have to change that on every generation. Do you really need it in the top bor, or could you also add it in the toipc header? (Because that is easy.)

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

Thanks for your response. But, I want the last updated date to be displayed in any area of the top pane. It doesn't have to be automatic. I'm OK with changing it on every revision.

Adding a button to show the date is a good idea but users will have to click on the button to know it. I wanted it be in a spot where it is obvious to everyone. Adding it in the topic header would be my last choice (Is this just adding the date along with the content or is there another way of adding it to the topic header?)

So, if you can provide a simple solution to show Last updated date anywhere in the Main Toolbar area (please see the image below) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Keeping my fingers crossed and awaiting your reply!

robohelp.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

A thought occurs here about a couple of possible ways to achieve it easily.

Both methods would require creating images.

One possible way would be to create an image where the date is embedded directly as part of the image. Then use that image as the background for the banner area.

The other possible way would be to create an image that would be used as a toolbar button. The button wouldn't actually DO anything when clicked, but would simply provide the revision date.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Providing a button wouldn't help much. I want the last updated date to be visible as soon as the help content is loaded. The first method looks good. But, if you look at the image I've uploaded, I have already appended the date along with the Logo. But it is not looking very good. So, I wanted to have the date somewhere away from the logo but inside the Main toolbar area.

If your first solution is different to what I've done, could you please elaborate or provide basic steps to achieve this.

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we talking about when the help was last updated or when the displayed topic was last updated?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I'm not sure why the button wouldn't work, but hey ho, no problem.

Another thought occurs too. What about using the Title Bar text? You easily change it in the Single Source Layout properties and it would be visible at all times in the title bar.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I had not tried the button option thinking that one has to click to know the last updated. But adding the button without any click event with just date serves the purpose. Thanks so much for this simple yet useful idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The button could be text on an invisible background, then it would not look like a button.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp