• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i setup a dual screen workspace on DreamWeaver CC?

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2013 Sep 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

How do i create a workspace, in which i can detach the "Design" tab from the "Code" tab and have them on seperate monitors?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not too sure if this works in CC, but try View > Split Vertically.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

for some time it is possible for me to work with two screens too. Unfortunately, we only can use splitted vertically or horizontally in one Screen (F10 key), but this doesn’t suit the needs.

It's now four months that I put forward my arguments to a DW-development. I could find further supporters, BUT here are more important issues to install at the moment, the motto is "Please wait".

So this might serve as suggestion to use https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform, where you can "Use this form to request new features or suggest modifications to existing features." and increase the number of the supporters.

Hans-Günter

P.S.

Today, in reaction to your question, I "refreshed" my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is something I've always thought was strange about DW. You're stuck within the application frame for PC users where programs like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign allow you to throw your work onto any screen regardless of where the application frame is.

It's annoying, but you can't move pages, css or script files onto your other screens unless you first increase the size of the application frame to cover both.

1. Make sure your application frame is not maximized and stuck to one monitor. Hit the Restore button in the upper right if it's there (double square icon)

2. grab the edge of the app frame and drag it into the second monitor

3. Rearrange your tabs and pallets to your liking

4. Get ready to be frustrated by the relative inability to click background program windows efficiently

EDIT: If you just want to separate the code from the design on a single page, go to Window > Code Inspector and you'll have a pallete with the code from the page you are working on in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jon,

thanks for thinking about. And only to show you what I put to the DW-development-commission as a basis for a discussion see this screenshot:

drZweiScrBeschr.jpg

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would never span two screens with Dreamweaver. I need to do things other than Dreamwever.

When I'm building a website, I'm using Dreamweaver and Photoshop—and occasionally Fireworks for batch-processing photos. With Dreamweaver taking up most of one monitor, the second would be handy for Photoshop—and getting to files in their respective places.

I use a 24" display, though, and a second would would be too much screen real estate.

-Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mark,

that must be a misunderstanding! I never wanted to "span" one DW-file across my two screens. That would be nonsense, here I agree with ýou.

That what I actually want is to see the one file on the first screen the other one on the second screen.

And I want to have the opportunity to edit in every screen separately. This would have been convenient!

OK now?

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah!

You can't do that with Dreamweaver as far as I know, because the application connects everything together as tabbed panels that stay together. I suppose you could call this a bug or a feature and you can request a feature here.

To the extent I need to see multiple pages, I open multiple browser windows (Dreamweaver does not control browsers, so you'll be hitting "refresh" a lot. and, to the extent I need to see multiple code windows, I use BBEdit.

-Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Hans, I think our language barrier has clouded my reply.

I am talking about the Application Frame (the gray background of DW on PCs that you can't get rid of) spanning both monitors not any individual document. While problematic, spanning the application frame across both monitors will allow you to have files open on both screens more like Photoshop or Illustrator.

@mhollis55, As I illustrate in Step 4 above, I realize doing that is problematic within a normal work flow because you can't click directly on programs that are behind DW's app frame. I'm still hoping the DW dev guys will add the ability to throw files out of the application frame soon.

@djhull3917, I think what you actually wanted is in my EDIT above. Opening the Code Inspector from the Windows menu allows you to have the code from a given page on one screen while the design is on the other in a dual monitor set-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, one of the things I did in Dreamweaver CS5.5 was to make the application behave as did Dreamweaver CS3. That took away the nasty gray screen. I have not upgraded.

I understand the idea behind the gray screen, it's to ensure that colors look like they're going to look. People who edit television and film really want a neutral gray screen with a minimum of color in the User Interface so that they can concentrate on their film.

But Dreamweaver is not Photoshop and it's not Premiere and it's not AfterEffects. While trying to unify things, Adobe has made it harder to use many of their applications. There was recently a poll put up by Adobe (that I missed) asking if they should bring back colored icons in Dreamweaver. They should.

I worked in the television industry for 25 years. I fully understand the demands of color-correction and the work of a colorist can dramatically add to the mood in a scene. For examples, look at the change in color tone between the Harry Potter films. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" also comes to mind and the colorist work in the film "Dick Tracy" is a wonderful example. Whole rooms are designed in colorist suites to be gray and to not color the screen.

You do not need this in Dreamweaver. I would argue that, for the most part, you don't need this in Photoshop or Illustrator. You certainly don't need this in InDesign, Adobe needs to stop this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Mac users could/can still get rid of it under Window > Application Frame, but us lowly Windows guys are stuck with the application frame.

Still, only DW has its open files bound within that frame. Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign allow you to move your open files onto either screen independent of the app frame without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is 2 years ago but I have been wondering the same thing.

Adobe came out with the API for testing on the phones, tablets, and browsers outside of the application. It's to the left of the little globe to test outside of the frame. It will give you a little url to go to and you can just open up a web browser in one monitor and code in the other!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that this question has been answered but I am working on helping others work in Dreamweaver CC 2017.  Because I have found that the smallest of information can make a big difference.

Granted it maybe a kludge, but I just stretch the Work-space across all the monitors (two now) and them move live and code split screen windows to each separate monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Norman,

an interesting approach! I would welcome it and regard it as helpful, if you would additional support my proposal to build it as a standard feature said in

Divide the display of Dreamweaver files (instancing) onto two separate screens. – Adobe Dreamweaver ...

Thanks in advance

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sir - would you advise how to do this - I have two systems Win 7 and Win 10

one at School is win 7 and at home win 10

I have some vision problems and the size of Icons really Hard to work with in Dreamweaver and Other Adobe CS6 Suite

(Ie  PS and Ilustrator) --

Main problem right now is exactly how you do that "Coding window" with the Icons on One Screen and the "Live design Split" on another

screen  - using windows extended Monitor  - seems to only work with Different Screens - which I don't know if Dreamweaver can be configured.

Bottom line how would you accomplish that trick Coding (and Icons) on One Screen the "Design Preview" on another

THANKS

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Please try code inspector and see if that helps.

Code inspector can be launched from Windows menu.

Thanks,

Lalita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines