• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC Clone Stamp not working for me

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was another thread about this, several people reported this problem, but so far no response from Adobe. Let's try this again.

The Clone Stamp no longer works right. It's slow and sampling results are all over the place. It will sample from areas I never even ALT clicked on. And it can't keep up with rapid sampling and stamping. As is, Photoshop CC is totally unusable for photo retouching work.

I switched back to CS6, which still works fine, so the problem is NOT on my end.

Running Windows 7 64bit. Photoshop CC 64bit.

Can we get some response from Adobe please ??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds nasty, but I believe you're overgeneralizing a bit - it's not broken for everyone.  I have Photoshop CC on Windows 7 x64 and the Clone Stamp Tool works perfectly.

Therefore you should look to see if you have specific problems on your particular system.

• Did the problem start when you upgraded to Photoshop CC, or did it work right with Photoshop CC at some point then come on?

• What video card do you have, and what driver version?
  • What 3rd party plug-ins do you have?
  • Do you have any 3rd party UI theme changing or other software on your system that not everyone uses?
  • Have you tried resetting the Clone Stamp Tool?
  • Have you tried changing the Advanced GPU Drawing Mode to a lower setting (making sure to restart Photoshop after)?
  • Have you tried resetting all Photoshop preferences to defaults?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Photoshop 7, CS2, CS3, CS5, CS6 on this same system. They all work fine on my system. I have not changed anything on my system.

• Did the problem start when you upgraded to Photoshop CC, or did it work right with Photoshop CC at some point then come on?

It never worked in CC. Still works perfect in CS6.

• What video card do you have, and what driver version?

Geforce GTX 460 , Driver v. 9.18.13.1106

• What 3rd party plug-ins do you have?

Only Portraiture.

• Do you have any 3rd party UI theme changing or other software on your system that not everyone uses?

No.

• Have you tried resetting the Clone Stamp Tool?

Yes. Made no difference.

• Have you tried changing the Advanced GPU Drawing Mode to a lower setting (making sure to restart Photoshop after)?

Yes. Made no difference.

• Have you tried resetting all Photoshop preferences to defaults?

Yes. Made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People often assume that if the older version works the new one should too, and it's reasonable to think so, but the newer software makes use of your system at least slightly (and often more than slightly) differently than any version that came before.

Your issue isn't common, based on what I've seen reported on this forum.

I looked over on nvidia.com, and it appears the've just released new drivers for your card, version 320.49.  Those would be worth trying.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

People often assume that if the older version works the new one should too, and it's reasonable to think so, but the newer software makes use of your system at least slightly (and often more than slightly) differently than any version that came before.

Your issue isn't common, based on what I've seen reported on this forum.

Because there aren't hundreds of reports yet, only means other users aren't using the tools as fast as we do. I fly when I retouch photos, and CC can't keep up. Slower users might not even see this problem.

I do assume the new version should work like the last 15 versions. Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

441212431 wrote:

I do assume the new version should work like the last 15 versions. Yes.

Heh, I do to. But I'm learning fast that Adobe doesn't seem to get the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't overrun the tool.  I'll wager I'm as fast as anyone here.  I'm also perceptive enough to know that for me Photoshop CC 14.0 is every bit as responsive as its predecessors for me on my system.

You may not be willing to believe you have a system-specific issue, but that doesn't mean it isn't just that.  Perhaps it's a problem with the current nVidia display drivers.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my lowly late 2012 Mac mini with 16 GB ram, a 2.3 i7 processor, and Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics, I just today spent two solid hours with the clone brush and have had no issues at all. Tracking is very precise. No way can I outrun it. When I was running Windows, I read your advice regularly, Noel, and when you say display drivers could be an issue, you know whereof you speak. In hindsight, after switching platforms, my experience has been that the clone brush, and brushes in general, seem to work better  for me on the Mac than was my experience on Windows. I'm using the normal drawing mode, although things worked fine in advanced mode as well. I'm not trying to say one platform is better than the other, but that is my experience for what little it is worth. Also, my experience has been that all aspects of PS CC are noticeably faster/more responsive than PS CS6 on my Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried on a Mac and did not have the problem. Only on my Windows machine. The Alt key invoking the menu bar seems to be a problem. It's hard to explain, but somewhere between sampling with the Alt key and moving to the area that needs to be cloned/healed, PS loses the sample position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you see in the CVlone Source panel?   Select any of the source tabs, and Alt click and touch down elsewhere on the image to create the offset.  Try doing this with a couple of guides in place, and use the Prcise cursor to keep either the x or y value at or near zero.  That way you can see if errors are happening.

Then Alt click on the image, and Clone source values should return to zero.

Also make sure you have sensible values in the other options in the Clone source panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already gone back to CS6 and it works great again. The Adobe rep I chatted with didn't even ask anything half that intelligent-just had me reset all of my preferences, etc. I've been using PS since the first version and building/configuring PCs for 15 years but they still insist it's a error on my part! Thanks a lot, Dennis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2014 Jan 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a wacom tablet? I had some compatability issues with the latest driver that effected cloning but this was on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated CS6 today and the problem returned, so I went back to 13.0 and it's fine again. No tablet, I'm using a Logitech MX518 Mouse. Specs are: Windows 7 Pro SP1, AMD FX-8320 8-Core Processor 3.5GHz, 8 GB RAM, 2 Intel 335 SATA Solid State Drives 180 GB ea., NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 Graphics card, Samsung S27C390 and Viewsonic VG1930wm Monitors, Saitek Eclipse keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eclic wrote:

Are you using a wacom tablet? I had some compatability issues with the latest driver that effected cloning but this was on a Mac.

It looked like you were asking me that question?  Yes I use an Intuos4, but I have never had any problems with it or any of the tools in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a lowly Wacom Bamboo with the latest driver in Windows 8.1 and PS CC; using the Clone Tool doesn't give me any issues that I can see.

Any combo/steps that causes it all to go kablooey or is this on everything in every instance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be safe, haven't seen any Win 8 users report the issue yet 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me, as soon as I unplugged the Wacom Tablet (on a Mac, as well).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, FWIW:

-I uninstalled Photoshop CC did all the graphics cards settings changes, and clone stamp still does not work on my CS6 install.

-I re-installed Photoshop CC and the clone stamp still does not work right with CC

-Adobe pushed "bug fixes" to my Photoshop CC, clone stamp still does not work.

-I tried three different NVIDIA drivers, and none helped or fixed the problem

-My CS6 on another PC works fine, with no Photoshop CC installed

-Conclusion: Photshop CC clone stamp does not work well for me and it broke my version CS6 somehow.  I will not be installing it on any other machines.  In fact, I now wish I had not purchased it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2013 Jul 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem unwilling to believe you could have a specific problem on the machine, having nothing to do with Photoshop.

I suggested the problem may lie in your display driver...  Do you have the same card and display driver version on the other computer?  Has the computer with the problem had another brand video card in it?

I do not believe Photoshop CC broke your Photoshop CS6 responsiveness.  The two really don't couple.  That said, without having nailed down the problem no one could be sure.

When you installed the nVidia drivers, did you choose the full, complete removal and install options (it's been a while, but I know there's such a choice in there somewhere).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

georgiacc wrote:

-I tried three different NVIDIA drivers, and none helped or fixed the problem

This seems worrisome to me. There should only be one nVidia driver for your machine - the latest one. nVidia installs an updater with their current display drivers - use that to ensure that you are running the latest drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any hope on the horizon to fix this problem. I retouch portraits and my workflow has slowed down because I cant sample fast enough, Adobe is costing me money. I had CS6 and the tool worked perfectly fine, the first time using it after the upgrade to CC I noticed it.

Yes I have tried all the recommended to do's, still caput... cmon Adobe you take my money each month, should I not get the product you promice to deliver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem.

Have to wait after Alt+click, then slowly move then only it works.

Tried all... No streaming in background, updated the driver. reset pref...

Nothing working at all.

Work flow has become so slow... or else I will end up ruining my photographs.

Please Look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using for retouching I sample (with the Alt key) upwards of 100 times/minute. Slowing down lessened the number of errors but the problem was still very noticeable. After sampling and when attempting to heal/clone it was like PS couldn't read from the sample area and didn't follow the same path as the mouse. It's a giant issue that made PS CC useless for retouching purposes. Moved back to CS6 and everything works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LPBak wrote:

When using for retouching I sample (with the Alt key) upwards of 100 times/minute.

Hmmm.... That's going to take some keeping up with, but while I wouldn't claim to be that fast, I agree you need to constantly resample your source pixels for good results.  You also make a good argument that CS6 works OK.  I’m going to sheepishly take of my fan boy hat, and hide it away for this one.

Have you guys with the problem managed to correlate any system spec similarities?  Any patterns emerging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2014 Jul 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did have problems with the clone stamp until I changed the blending mode from Multiply to Normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines