4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2013 8:24 AM by Jim_Simon

Hardware acceleration using ATI 6950

ILKS

I am using CS5 Premier Pro, with a Saphire ATI 6950 garphics (2GB memory).

According to http://www.adobe.com/au/products/premiere/tech-specs.html, this graphics card should provide GPU accelation, however when I select effects GPU accelaration they are all grayed out.  Also under the project settings the Mercury Playback Engine is also grayed out.

Does this mean Mercury Playback Engine does not work with ATI 6950 or is there settings I need to change?

• 1. Re: Hardware acceleration using ATI 6950
          cc_merchant Level 4

You are reading the INSTALLATION requirements for CC, not CS5.5

Adobe always messes this up. They only show what is needed for installation, not for USING the programs.

It should read something like this:

System requirements

Windows

• Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required Intel Core i5
          • Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1 (64 bit) or Windows 8 (64 bit)
          • 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended) 8GB of RAM, 16+ recommended.
          • 4GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
          • Additional disk space required for preview files and other working files (10GB recommended)
          • 1280x800 display
          • Dedicated 7200 RPM or faster hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended)
          • Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
          • QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features
          • Optional: Adobe-certified GPU card from list below with at least 1GB VRAM for GPU accelerated-performance
          • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, membership validation, and access to online services.*

See Tweakers Page and specifically What kind of PC to use.

With CS5.5 or CS6, AMD video card do not allow hardware acceleration.

• 2. Re: Hardware acceleration using ATI 6950
            ILKS Level 1

Thanks, but this does not tell me if the ATI 6950 is compatible with Mercury Playback Engine and hardware acceleration.

• 3. Re: Hardware acceleration using ATI 6950
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

cc_merchant just told you the Ati (AMD) does not give you GPU hardware acceleration just GPU software.

• 4. Re: Hardware acceleration using ATI 6950
                Jim_Simon Level 9

[Moved to Hardware forum.]