• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What do I have to do to get WebHelp browser styles to match RH's style sheet?

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do I have to do to get WebHelp browser styles to match RH's style sheet?

In the PDF rendering, the styles conform to the .css styles, but the generated WebHelp in the browsers (Firefox and IE) does not.

I've check all the generated project's topic folders for the correct .css, and they're there. I also put a copy of the .css in the project's root folder as someone suggested, but that doesn't work.

I'm using RH 10, and I'm certainly no expert at it or HTML. Forgive me if I've done something stupid or not done something I should have.

Thanks.

B.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What styling is the browser not using?

Even though the CSS is in the output, do all the topics correctly point to those CSS files? (Open the topic in a text editor and search for the link tag.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam,

•   Arial in the .css is being rendered as a serif font in the browser.

•   Indents in the .css don't persist in the broswer. (All appear at the far left of the broswer window).

•   Character styles (bolt, itals, etc.) persist in the browser, but they're in the body of the topic HTML anyway.

•   Yes, all navigation is "accurate."

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I investigated further.

The styles in the CSS are accurate as to indents and font size and family. What's happening is that RH is applying the default font, Times New Roman, to the paragraphs even though the paragraph style calls for a different font.

There seems to be no way to change the default paragraph style font; in any of the dialog boxes where it appears, options for changing the font, font size, and so forth, are unavailable.

I suppose that the font styles could have been mapped differently when I imported the source Framemaker file, but I assume that whatever .css I applied would take care of the the default font.

Barring setting the font style for each paragraph to another style one by one, there seems to be no way to make a global change, nor any way to change the default paragraph font style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That happened to me, also, when I applied the most recent RH10 update. There was no fix for it except to return to the prior version 10.0.0.287 -- at which point everything dropped into place perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is RH using the wrong CSS for mapping the FM styles? Or doesn't that have anything to do with it?

In the SSL settings, are you by chance applying a different CSS on generation?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam,

No. Every style but on in the style sheet that I created is mapped correctly to the project. All style settings except margins and font appear correctly in the webHelp. Also, if generated as a PDF or as .chm help, ALL styles render correctly. They just don't appear correctly for WebHelp (haven't tried any of the other HTML-realated project formats.)

This appears to be a problem with the default font, which apparently cannot be changed in RH.

Unless there's some sort of work-around, it appears that my problem is that I didn't map the source FrameMaker "normal" font to a font style OTHER THAN the default style, and under a different name, when I imported the FM file. I made the unwarranted assumptions that the RH default font would be whatever was the default font in FM, and if it wasn't, I could change it.

I've looked all over the "communities" and Adobe help, but I can't find anywhere where the default font can be changed after a project is created.

Thanks for keeping with me on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mcgarbru, not to sound like a broken record, but if you haven't, try this: uninstall RH10 and reinstall the initial release of RH10 without any updates. Agian, I had exactly the same issue and it was the update. As soon as that was removed, everything worked just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a try, but I'm not sure I can do it. I have the "rental version" of the software, and I'm not sure the update doesn't come with the download. But as I said, I'll give it a try. Certainly would be great for me if it works.

Thanks!

B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a reinstall doesn't work, can you share the project with me? I would like to take a look to see what is going on.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look in the Help menu to access which version you have.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Posted this reponse on another post....I'm on RH 10.0.1.292:

I've found some really strange issues converting RH9 projects to RH10. One of the things I noticed is the Text fomatting issue. In RH9, every page I created would have it's own .css page, which are listed in the Project Master -> Project Files folder. RH9 would apply every .css to the individual pages I had automatically.

Now in RH10, I found that none of the .css pages were being applied, and I have to pick one in the WebHelp settings and select "Apply to All". Not sure why this has changed but it was the only thing that would make all pages of my project have the same Styles and Formatting:

Capture8.png

I just picked one of my .css sheets that had all the styles I needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp