• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wh can't I map Robohelp styles involving bullets to styles in my Word template?

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a style called Bullet in Robohelp, which is defined as a bulleted list style, and looks

• like this

in robohelp.

I have a style called Bullet in the Word template I want to use to generate output, which is also defined as a bulleted list style.

When I get to the Print Document Appearance screen adn select the Word template, I see 'Unassigned - use style in project' against the Robohelp Bullet style entry. When I open up the list of styles available in the Word template the Bullet style is not included in the list.

This is costing me much time - every time I generate a document that uses the Bullet style I have to go into the Word document and apply the Bullet style to each relevant paragraph (and remove the spaces between the bullet and the text, but that's a problem for a different day).

What do I need to do to get the mapping working properly?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2013 Sep 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only map multi-level lists. No reasons you cannot create a multi-level list and only use one level, that doesn't stop it technically being a multi-level list capable of being mapped to Word.

Take a look in the Employee Care sample project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter - Thank you for your helpful reply. It has set me off on the right track, but I'm still having problems. I've set up a multi-level list in Word and a corresponding one in Robohelp, and mapped the two for printed output.

But - the resulting bullets still lose all their formatting, except the bullet, in Word.

I've mapped the Level 1 style in Robohelp to a Robohelp paragraph style called 'BulletList', and I've applied the BulletList style to the paragraphs I want to be bulleted. Which I thought would be enough to ensure that those paragraphs mapped to the Level 1 style of the multi-level list I'd set up in Word. But they get assigned the style Normal.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new single topic project and try with that using the same CSS and Word template. If it still fails, see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue in mapping styles. I make sure to set the bullet style in Word as a multi-level list, and also set up in Robihelp, but when I generate pronted documentation, the bullet style assigned is normal. Have you resolved your situation?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beth,

Peter Grainge had some useful information and instructions on what to do to get bullets working. But, like you, once I'd got the necessary multi-level styles set up in RoboHelp and mapped to styles in Word.....the bullet styles still went to Normal. it seems like a bug in Robohelp (and frankly, given the way they've over-complicated what should be a simple mapping issue, I'm not surprised. Time Word split out the functionality used to handle bullets from that used to handle numbered lists.)

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've gone back to post-generation formatting of my bullet lists.

Best regards,

MAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did offer to take a look and I can't see that you sent me anything.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Peter,

Yes, you did, and I didn't take you up on your offer because I had at the time only just started working for this company, and was (am still not) sure on their policy on sending material to third parties. They have strict security policies. At the time, I wrestled with the problem, but then had to get the document out in a hurry, so went with the expedient solution.

Since then I've been working on documents outside of RoboHelp. Once I get back to full-on RoboHelp work I will look at this again, perhaps mock up a RoboHelp project that I can send you.

You reckon, do you, that we should be able to get a project working so that there is a clean export from RoboHelp to Word, where the bullets format as they should?

Best Regards (and thanks for your help and interest),

MAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't need the real help file. I suggested a new project partly to overcome that problem and partly because being clean other factors that could affect the outcome are eliminated.

If the problem occurs with a new project with just a couple of topics that don't have any company content, , then I need that plus the Word document that has the mapped multi-level list.

If it doesn't occur there, then it might point you to the problem but if not, then you will need to get permission. Point out to your management that I am one of a few people recognised by Adobe for this sort of assistance.

Get back to me whenever you want but do include a link to this thread.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Peter, for your quick response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update! I too am formatting post generation until I can take the time to debug this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp