• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewing Generated Robohelp 10 .htm files locally results in refresh loop

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the files are viewable on a server (we've tried two servers). Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

OK - further update - adding the "--allow-file-access-from-files" flag to the Chrome shortcut does solve the issue. So it's definitely some change that Chrome has made that's short-circuiting the fix that Adobe made to RH to get around this before.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to give us some more detail to have a chance of helping you. What do you mean by "refresh loop"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page does not load. It's blank and the window just keeps flickering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you generating WebHelp? if so, does the same happen on different browsers, different PCs, etc. Also is it the whole frame that doesn't load or just the topic area.

Try generating the same output from one of the sample projects and see if this works. If this is OK, try generating your project to a different location; preferably on a local hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Colum - I'm seeing the same behaviour using Chrome version 30.0.1599.69 on a locally generated WebHelp test done using the sample Salesbuilder project. I've checked the settings to see if JavaScript is enabled & it is. This used to work just a little while ago, but some update in Chrome has busted this again it seems. I've filed a bug report with Adobe this morning about it.

Update - it also fails when located on a LAN server too. I'll test next with the "local file access" flag to see if it's a "security" issue ;>)

Message was edited by: Jeff_Coatsworth Added Update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - further update - adding the "--allow-file-access-from-files" flag to the Chrome shortcut does solve the issue. So it's definitely some change that Chrome has made that's short-circuiting the fix that Adobe made to RH to get around this before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! You guys are amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not solve my issue.  I am running into the same issue but it is stemming from viewing a project generated from MadCap Flare.  Added the tag to the Chrome shortcut but am still seeing a blank page.  Any other solutions found this far?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wacobear - not sure I follow...You're testing WebHelp produced by Flare (not RH) and asking about it in a RH forum? If that's the case, then it seems to confirm my theory that some change has been made to Chrome to tighten things up again. If that's not the case, you need to explain more about this project and what sort of results you're seeing and what you've tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Chrome did you see this behaviour? Do you have any custom scripts running? Any plugins?

I've not seen this Chrome issue on RH10 before and since the WebHelp rewrite for Chrome, I'm surprised the issue occurs.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Willam - I'm running Chrome version 30.0.1599.69 - I don't think I've got any plugins installed (Chrome's not my browser of choice; I just have it around to test with). Yes, I thought this issue was licked too when Adobe came out with a fix. Give a whirl yourself & see if it's behaving the same way when trying to run the Salesbuilder sample as WebHelp on a LAN or local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aargh, I just looked with the same version (30.0.1599.69) and I have the same issue. Be sure to report this as a bug to Adobe (https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform) It seems Chrome has made the cross frame communication even stricter with this patch.

I have found a dirty fix that may help. It seems to work fine, I gave WebHelp a spin, but I haven't thoroughly tested it. I hope Adobe can come up with a nice fix.

Please note: this fix is extremely dirty and should only be used as a workaround. I cannot guarantee that your WebHelp will work correctly!

Saying that, here's a fix:

1. Open whproxy.js with a text editor.

2. Find the function getStubPage.

3. Replace the function with the following function:

function getStubPage() {

if (!gbInited) {

if (msgHandlerProxy.checkChromeLocal()) {

try {

var oWnd = top.frames['ContentFrame'];

} catch(e) {

var oWnd = top;

}

if (typeof (oWnd) != 'undefined' && oWnd != null)

gWndStubPage = oWnd;

else

gWndStubPage = top;

if (gWndStubPage == this)

gWndStubPage = null;

}

else

gWndStubPage = getStubPage_inter(window);

gbInited = true;

}

return gWndStubPage;

}

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Willam - already filed ;>)

I'll give your dirty fix a run through tomorrow & let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please explain how to "add the "--allow-file-access-from-files" flag to the Chrome shortcut"? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Item 3 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#browsers.

It is something the user has to do in their shortcut to Chrome. Their System Admin might not like the idea so beware.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a copy of your Chrome shortcut and right-click on the copy to edit the Properties. Add the –allow-file-access-from-files text to the end of the target path – it will read something like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --allow-file-access-from-files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any more news on this?

I was expecting major fallout and possible news of an emergency Rh release to deal with this, but it all seems to have gone rather quiet.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been reported so hopefully there will be some news soon.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2013 Oct 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Willam – I can report that your hack seems to work fine for WebHelp on a local drive or LAN using Chrome 30.0.1599.101.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for coming back. It does indeed seem to work. I hope Adobe will provide a real fix soon though

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like they have – see Post#19 ;>)

I haven’t had a chance to compare their fix with yours – could be the same, you know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be going blind... Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Their fix is the same as mine So I guess it wan't so ugly as I imagined after all

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Adobe has released solution for chrome issue. Please look http://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/kb/webhelp-output-fails-load-chrome.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about on the Mac OS X?

There seems to be still a problem when replaced with new "whproxy.js".

The left pane is not displayed in Chrome (version 31) on Mac OS X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome on a Mac – hmm. Never dealt with that, ever – if the RH fix is still busted in that scenario, you’d better file a bug report with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp