10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2013 3:19 PM by sinious

Toolkit for CreateJS + iPhone 4 + iOS 7 = A nightmare

pingnak Level 1

OK, several apps all broke at the same time on the auspicious releaase of iOS7... but only on the iPhone 4.  Verified on two different people's iPhone 4 devices, and even bought a third one for myself, to try to debug it, and after it 'updated' to iOS 7, it was as buggered as the others.

What happens is... nothing.  Gets past the loading page, to the first screen, and then the buttons don't work, and game over. 

But on all of the other iOS devices, with all of the other versions of IOS available to me, it works just fine.

So far, I have not been able to trap what is happening.  I even pulled all of the sounds out of it and tried again, and got no different results on the iPhone 4.  Well, other than 'no sound' on the iPod and iPad, but working fine.

I'll be spending some hours on this, later.  I got the latest Apple Safari update and can 'see', but it's not 'crashing', as far as I can tell.  It's just not working.

Is this something the world will be waiting for a patch from Apple to sort out, or what?  Because I'm nearly at my wit's end.

• 1. Re: Toolkit for CreateJS + iPhone 4 + iOS 7 = A nightmare
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

It really would depend on what you're trying to do. You should detail out any code you've identified as part of the problem and explain what the app 'does'. Whatever part of CreateJS you're utilizing may simply need an update but we'd need to know what you're doing to narrow that down.

Also how is this being viewed? I'm assuming since you said you downloaded the latest Safari that it's a website however I can't rule out a Phonegap app.

Lastly have you enabled the JavaScript console (Settings->Safari->Developer->Debug Console (ON))? You may be getting some errors that will help track it down.

• 2. Re: Toolkit for CreateJS + iPhone 4 + iOS 7 = A nightmare
            pingnak Level 1

It appears to be the buttons that are misbehaving.  When I finally got down to tearing down one of the simple 'step through' animation applets, removing the buttons made it all work.

More specifically, changing buttons so that they are all composed of bitmaps worked.  Buttons with 'Hit' frames or contents made of rectangles/polygons DO NOT work.

Once again, uniquely an iOS7+iPhone4 problem, so far as I can tell.  On an iPad with iOS7, and an older iPod with iOS 6.0.1, and allegedly on other iOS devices, no problems.

No sound at all for iOS7+iPhone4, either.  Even after I specifically moved the sound to the button click event handling.  Silence.  Wonderful.  Well, audio in html5 is a thousand kinds of 'does not work'.  I should be 'happy' it doesn't burst into flames and take my face off.

Button tracking/clicking sounds seem to be problematic.  Removing those (and triggering the initial loop of music by the first button click) made some music work better, especially for other combinations of iOS/devices... but not for others.

But this just harkens back to my constant, years-long whining about not wanting to make any HTML5 games, and how you can't create anything much more than 'click the monkey' ads with it, without your 'app' breaking all the time, and heck, if the 'Click The Monkey' ad had a 'ButtonHelper' with a polygon on it, it would be broken, too.

When I have some time, I will post a trivial test case.

On the plus side, after years of warning, if the customer wants more and more of this bugtastic garbage, I can always quit.  One of those 'race conditions'.  Will I go mad, or quit first?

Anyway, I'll post a test case in a while, when I'm not busy 'fixing' a stack of applications that were working fine, up until last week.  Yay, HTML5.  What a winner.  I can hardly wait to see what melts down next, and then the week to month after that.

• 3. Re: Toolkit for CreateJS + iPhone 4 + iOS 7 = A nightmare
              moccamaximum Level 5

I should be 'happy' it doesn't burst into flames and take my face off.

At least your humour is alive. More of this funny rants please

• 4. Re: Toolkit for CreateJS + iPhone 4 + iOS 7 = A nightmare

I wouldn't really call HTML5 the enemy here. The real issue needs to be isolated which is sounds like a limitation of the libraries cross compile capabilities. Most people do not change the position of a button when it changes state. In the event an on/off side by side "toggle" looking button, you can still press the entire area of the button to cause the toggle. In your special case it seems your buttons toggle is moving completely out of the area marked with a click handler.

In that case you will probably need to learn the necessary JavaScript to properly program that button to change the click region for each toggle state. It's pretty easy to do and actually has nothing to do with HTML5, it's JavaScript and its proper use. You don't need to rely on CreateJS to do it all for you, but it does do a good amount to get you up and running quickly.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Toolkit for CreateJS + iPhone 4 + iOS 7 = A nightmare
                  pingnak Level 1

I don't 'move things around'.  The case is exactly collapse the vector art layers into a BITMAP, in the Flash IDE, and the button works like it does everywhere else.

And how condescending, claiming I 'need to learn the necessary JavaScript'.  For what?  A button that's supposed to export right along-side a bit of text, and a picture on a title screen?  You're saying Toolkit for CreateJS doesn't support its own 'buttons' in the most trivial case of buttons sitting on a static screen, possible?

I'm perfectly capable of programming buttons for myself, thank you very much.  And MovieClips, and every other element.  I've been programming games since before DOS was 'a thing' (you kids git off my lawn!).  If necessary, I could write native versions on every single platform that HTML5 exists on, even wirthout the OS installed.  But I don't have infinite time to write that many versions of useless hliday click-toys (well, tap and smear screen toys) for kids.

The customer wants HTML5, the customer gets HTML5.  If the customer wants me to drill into his head with an auger bit, I'd do that, too.

There is a bug.  It probably lies within Apple's code base. 

Sure, HTML5 isn't an enemy.  It's the people implementing OSVERSION x BROWSERVERSION x HARDWAREVERSION variants of HTML5 that are the 'evil' ones, here.

Don't mistake incompetece with malice... but sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

• 6. Re: Toolkit for CreateJS + iPhone 4 + iOS 7 = A nightmare

Woah nelly, long in the game here too, vinyl record size 360k floppies, tape recorder programs written carefully from the commodore/tandy CC3 manual saved and loaded in audible tones just to watch it draw hurricane resembling circles, for no real reason. Can't say I'd recommend asm x86 but I do know where (xip) foo (bar bas) comes from..

I did misread your post. I thought you mentioned when you roll over the button the position of the button changed. I probably read it in a different post because I don't see you mentioning that here.

At least you found the culprit, vectors aren't registering the click, and I hope you submit it as a bug to Adobe. Much as you're clearly accustomed, making tweaks for specific OS/browser/hardware comes with the territory. Adobe may collapse vectors to bitmap in that situation just as you did.

Again, sorry for misreading. No condescension intended and I'll stay off the grass.

• 7. Re: Toolkit for CreateJS + iPhone 4 + iOS 7 = A nightmare
                      pingnak Level 1

Well, I have to apologize, too.  I get a bit cranky when things 'melt down', out of the blue, for 'no reason'.  Which appears to be a permanent state of affairs with HTML5. 

Ten years seems like an awfully long time to 'figure out' a feature set to extend something like a web browser.  I guess that's what you get when you leave a dumpster open.  People fill it with trash faster than anyone can process it.

In other words, It looks like HTML5 just kept getting added to, over the years, rather than locking down an 'HTML5' on a hard deadline, I don't know, around 2006 (two years being an unspeakably long development cycle, let alone just a 'design' cycle), and opening up HTML6 RFPs, for what to add, next, perhaps in 2007.

We'd probably be working on 'HTML8', right around now, but some of this junk would've been locked down, years ago.

Not that BS, like this 'button' glitch on iPhone 4, with iOS7 wouldn't happen, anyway.  This is just vendors releasing buggy garbage on their own schedules, and leaving it up to external developers to deal with their fallout.

• 8. Re: Toolkit for CreateJS + iPhone 4 + iOS 7 = A nightmare

At least they split the spec into several parts being developed in parallel, or more importantly up for recommendation without requiring the entire spec be complete. Don't forget, all that problematic browser proprietary is what gave Flash Player a great reason to exist. Maybe we'll come full circle..

(I'm still off the grass..)

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Toolkit for CreateJS + iPhone 4 + iOS 7 = A nightmare
                          pingnak Level 1

Just don't do that thing, where you stand on the sidewalk and hover your foot over the lawn, when you say that.

• 10. Re: Toolkit for CreateJS + iPhone 4 + iOS 7 = A nightmare

You never included air rights over the lawn, you have to be specific ;P.