• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installation on Mac OS 10.8.5 SOLVED (missing mach_kernal)

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2013 Oct 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

egon1984 solved it!!

Thank you!!! You are the only one who had the answer! After a recent Mac update, the supposed-to-be invisible "mach_kernal" was showing right in the root of my hard drive. I stupidly deleted it. That's why the latest Flash update wouldn't install!

To restore mach_kernal from TimeMachine, you need to make hidden files visible in Finder (and thereby Time Machine), like this:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

Now go to Time Machine and go back to a date when you still had that file "mach_kernel" and restore it.

Now go back to terminal to return Finder to its normal state:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A user deleting a NECESSARY OS file is NOT (repeat: NOT) an Adobe problem. I've seen about a hundred people post in the Apple Forums this week that they did the EXACT same thing: deleted the Mach Kernel file, and it screwed up their entire OS. Apple f'ed up their 10.8.5 update to allow it to be visible, but that doesn't place ANY burden on anyone here.

Kinda reminds me of my earliest days at AOL when people would call in because they deleted "rundll32" from their Windows 98 and then couldn't reboot.

I hope everyone has learned, "If you DON'T KNOW what it does, leave it alone till you've researched it"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your fix is USELESS to people who DON'T have a time machine, you know that... right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines