• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does "General Installation Error" mean?

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was attempting to install Flash Player  ver. 11.9.900.117 on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X v. 10.8.5. The installation fails with the message "General Installation Error." What is the cause of this error and how do I fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2013 Oct 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attempted a clean install and I get the same result, "General Installation Error."

Now I was successful in re-installing the previous version of Flash Player, ver. 11.8.800.168. Does anyone know if Flash Player ver. 11.9.900.117 is really compatible with Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) and that it is 64-bit application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me ask you something you may find odd.

After the 10.8.5 update, did you delete the Mach Kernel file that was suddenly visible in your Mac HD directory?

A LOT of people apparently did, not knowing what it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I deleted it or not, but having read several of the messages posted on this thread I did the on-line re-installation of the OS just in case I did unwittingly. After re-installing the OS, I'm now able to install the latest version of Flash Player.

The upshot is don't delete that mach_kernel file!

Mystery solved!

P.S. - Has anyone posted or passed this onto Apple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're aware of it.

Meantime,you can just copy and paste this command into Terminal, then hit return

sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel 

THAT will "hide it" again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2013 Oct 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Super helpful hint, thank you!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines