• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need help. Like, immediately!

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried on multiple occasions to download the flash player.  Every time, the bar goes up to 50%, and then it just poops out, saying "general error."  None of th troubleshooting tips have helped me thus, so I need an expert to talk me through my issues.  I'm leaving just after writing this, and won't be back for a few hours, but when I come back, I'll respond to whatever's been written, and we can go from there.  Even when I tried the offline install, or even going inside the package to find the specific .pkg file, I was unable to get any further.  Please help.  My classes require that I have access to YouTube and sites that require flash.  I am on Mac OS X 10.8.5, with the newest Safari.  Everything's up to date, except the Flash.  I deleted everything Adobe-related from my computer, so now I have a clean slate.  I'll be back later tonight.

Thank you for your time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick question:
Search your memory, after the 10.8.5 update, did you delete the "mach_kernel" file that suddenly appeared in your MAC HD directory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I might've.  It was just a blank file in the main menu, wasn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symphorch wrote:

I think I might've.  It was just a blank file in the main menu, wasn't it?

No... it's the BASE FILE for your Operating System.
If you have a Time Machine, and you have a backup from BEFORE the 10.8.5 update, then you can go in and find it to restore from.

If you don't have a Time Machine, your troubles are just beginning. Without the mach_kernel file, one app after another will begin failing until you ultimately have to reinstall your OS.

In the event you have a backup, download "Secrets" https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27025/secrets

It's a Preference Pane (for your System Preferences) It has a box to check that will allow you to view hidden files (even in Time Machine backups) so you can find the mach_kernel and restore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2013 Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Time Machine anymore.  Our family uses an application called Crashplan.  And, I looked through that, and I couldn't find it.  I'm really nervous about re-installing my operating system.  The backup took forever the last time I had to fully restore my computer.  I took it in because my hard drive crapped out.  Are you sure that there's no other solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been through about 100 threads on this subject in the Apple forums. Absent locating that mach_kernel file (I can't even send you one because it's Machine and account specific), reinstalling your OS is the only soltuion... UNLESS apple releases a "fix that will recreate it, but I've not seen anything indicating that's going to happen.
Is Crashplan a physical backup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Crashplan backs up through the internet. Look it up!  It's a pretty interesting program.  I couldn't even find it on my family's computers, even with hidden files shown.  It was quite stupid of Apple to put a file of that importance right in the middle of our HD.  I can't even re-install the combo update because of an issue with JavaScript of all things. I just emailed my dad about restoring my computer. I really should be less stupid with things like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symphorch wrote:

No, Crashplan backs up through the internet. Look it up!  It's a pretty interesting program.  I couldn't even find it on my family's computers, even with hidden files shown.  It was quite stupid of Apple to put a file of that importance right in the middle of our HD.  I can't even re-install the combo update because of an issue with JavaScript of all things. I just emailed my dad about restoring my computer. I really should be less stupid with things like this.

It's ALWAYS been there. It was just hidden until the 10.8.5 update. I agree it was dumb of them.

Here's something to try before you reinstall completely.

http://tinyurl.com/kq3cu72

That's a zip file of a mach_kernel from a fresh install of 10.8

Download it, put it in the Mac HD directory and unzip it there. You won't see the file when it unzips, because it's hidden. but reboot and see if things get better.

Again, as a last resort, try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I re-installed my OS, and everything's fine.  The kernel file is hidden, Flash was installed, and I'm not having any more problems with Javascript.  Thanks for your help.  Also, you should tell people.  When I re-installed the OS, my data was not harmed in the slightest.  Everything was like normal, except I gained my kernel file back, and I had to do an update.  It won't hurt, I promise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines