• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Favorites

Engaged ,
Mar 30, 2007 Mar 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few clients are still running their .chms over a network.

I was asked today whether each user can maintain their own favorites list (via the favorites tab) when accessing the .chm in this way.

My gut feeling tells me that they cannot do this as the favorites file will not be saved locally. But, I'd like to see what you guys think? Unfortunately, due to network restrictions, I cannot test this theory myself.

Thanks
Craig

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 30, 2007 Mar 30, 2007
Hi Craig

I'm not sure either, but my gut feeling differs from yours. I would surmise that even if the .CHM were being served via a network (amazing that some folks can still do that given the patch that breaks things) the settings would still be maintained locally and only apply to each individual PC.

Have you given it a try? Personally, I'd love to try but have no network available.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig

I'm not sure either, but my gut feeling differs from yours. I would surmise that even if the .CHM were being served via a network (amazing that some folks can still do that given the patch that breaks things) the settings would still be maintained locally and only apply to each individual PC.

Have you given it a try? Personally, I'd love to try but have no network available.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank so much Rick....that is exactly what I needed, sanity checking.

This is for a set of policies and procedures that we sell on a CD - clients either set up the policies and procedures to run locally or a few have managed to set up the .chm on a network and make the necessary registry changes to run the .chm on an intranet for example. Some also run the .chm via citrix.

Although I'm getting the usual error running it off a network myself, I do have access to the favourites tab and have run some tests. It does indeed look like the favorites are stored on a user by user basis, even if the .chm is run off the network.

So your gut reaction seems right and mine was wrong. All I need to do now is work out what will happen in the citrix environment as the users will share the HH.DAT file.

One more sanity check Rick - am I right in thinking that all Favorite entries (for any .chm accessed via the users PC) are stored in the one single HH.DAT file?

thanks for making me think again!
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there buddy

Indeed, all favorites for all .CHMs (well, all .CHMs equipped with Favorites tabs anyway) are stored together inside the hidden HH.DAT file. At least, that's how I've always understood it to be!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Cool - thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp