• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Date Range Within a Date Range

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2007 Mar 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suffering from a mental block on this one and I'm hoping someone here can help. What I need to do is determine how many date ranges are between a broader date range. For example a school year runs from 9/1 to 6/30 or 180 work days. What I need to do is compute the number of 9/1 to 6/30 periods between say 1/1/2007 and 9/30/2009. The result of this find is used in othere calculations in a rather complex report. Any help is appreciated.
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in your example, you have 2 ranges, correct? 9/1/2007 - 6/30/2008 and 9/1/2008 - 6/30/3009.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The years in the 9/1 to 6/30 range are irrelevant, I think. They can be any year. What I'm looking for is how many sets of September 1 through June 30 occur in a larger date range like January 1, 2007 and September 30, 2009. In this example there is a partial set at 1/1/2007 through 6/30/2007. Two full sets between 9/1/2007 and 6/30/2008 and 9/1/2008 through 6/30/2009. Finally there is a partial set 9/1/2009 through 9/30/2009. I hope that explains what I'm trying to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jdeline wrote:
> So in your example, you have 2 ranges, correct? 9/1/2007 - 6/30/2008 and 9/1/2008 - 6/30/3009.

No, I believe the OP is asking to find out how many times the date range
9/1/?? to 6/30/?? occurs between the dates of 1/1/2007 and 9/40/2009.

To clarify the entire first date range must be contained inside of the
second, correct. You don't care about partial overlaps and the
beginning or the end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian and Jdeline see my message posted @ 4:24, they must have crossed in the mail. I hope that explains the problem better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems, if you are looking for full sets, there are 2 in your example? Or do partial sets count as well? If so, you have 4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Partial sets count. In my example there are 2 full sets and two partial sets. The correct result of the process would be 2.7

The two partials add up to 7 months out of the 10 in a full set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to count months in each set and normalize it to a fraction of 9 months. A full set would normalize to 1.0, a partial set with 3 months would normalize to 0.3. The attached code should give you an idea of how to approach this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
My earlier code post had a couple of problems. First, there are 10 months in a full set, not 9 as I indicated. Also, the DateDiff( ) function returns one less than the desired number of months. I have corrected these issues in the code below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if (ListFind("1,2,3,4,5,6,9,10,11,12", month(startdate) gt 0)
periods = 1;
else
periods = 0;

ThisDate = DateAdd("m",1, StartDate);
while (ThisDate lte EndDate) {
if month(ThisDate) is 9) // was 4, oops, sorry
periods = periods + 1;
ThisDate = DateAdd("m",1, ThisDate);
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another method...

<cfset start_date = DateFormat('01/01/2007', 'mm/dd/yyyy')>
<cfset end_date = DateFormat('09/30/2009', 'mm/dd/yyyy')>
<cfset start_year = DatePart('yyyy', start_date)>
<cfset end_year = DatePart('yyyy', end_date)>
<cfset schoolyear_start = '09/01/'>
<cfset schoolyear_end = '06/30/'>

<cfset count = 0>
<cfloop index="rec" from="#start_year#" to="#end_year#">
<cfset tmp_start = DateFormat('#schoolyear_start##rec#', 'mm/dd/yyyy')>
<cfset tmp_end = DateFormat('#schoolyear_end##rec + 1#', 'mm/dd/yyyy')>
<cfif DateCompare(tmp_start,start_date) gt -1 and DateCompare(tmp_end, end_date) eq -1>
<cfset count = count + 1>
</cfif>
</cfloop>

<cfoutput>
<br>There are #count# school year periods between #start_date# and #end_date#
</cfoutput>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that last post doesn't take the patials into account - I didn't see that post until afterward - but it would still be pretty easy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation