• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can no longer see my purchased books in Adobe Digital Edition software

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because my purchased books are no longer listed on my Adobe Digital Edition software, they can no longer be downloaded into my E-Reader (due to Rights protection).  I do not understand why they disappeared from the Purchased list.  I would like Adobe to Re-install into my purchased list all my purchased books.  Would like some help with that.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you find all the files (probably .epub files, .pdf files if you are unlucky) somewhere on your computer?

If so, you should be able to open them from ADE (digital editions) to get them back into its library.

If you dont have the .epub files but do have the .acsm files, they should allow you do re-download the .epub files.

You can't open .acsm files with the 'open with', but can drag-drop them onto ADE.

Also, if the ereader has been authorized and you have the books,

you can copy them to the ereader using a file manager such as Windows Explorer or Mac Finder.

The ereader will show up as a mounted drive.

Actually, you can copy them anyway; you just won't be able to read them if the ereader is not authorized with the correct ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, thanks for responding.  I have all my purchased books into a USB key and I was able to drag-drop these (PUB &PDF) into my Sony e-Reader (PRS-350) which ID is authorized on my computer.  But with the new SONY updates which I updated recently, the profile is totally changed and although I can see the book, I cannot read them.  That is why I wanted download my purchased books from the purchased list on my ADE.  A month ago, all my books were showing into my ADE until I updated all my softwares, then all is changed.  I don't understand why they are no longer showing.  Is there any chance that my purchased books be restored into the Purchased file?   Thanks for trying to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice device the PRS-350, my wife and I both have them.

Not exactly sure how much you have updated, so some of these comments may not be to the point ....

Copying to the Sony should have worked as long as it is still registered with the ID used when you bought the books.

Maybe the Sony lost its registration when you did Sony updates, and you need to reregister it?

Nothing will work with a different ID; you can change the email address assocated with the old ID,

but can't read books with a device registered with a different ID or transer them to a new ID.

Probably when you updated your software ADE lost its repository.

Adobe does not remember your books in any 'cloud' associated with your ID,

the ID is just used to unlock the files you still have that are associated with the ID.

Try opening the books on the USB on ADE (ctrl-O, menu/File/Add to Library).

They should then appear again in the ADE library and you should be able to copy to the Sony (assuming registrations all correct).

Or, if you want the books always available on the computer even without the USB,

copy from USB to computer, then use ADE to open the copies on the computer.

If ADE won't read the books either it is probably not correctly registered (with the original ID).

One possibility is that ADE got confused about registration when you reinstalled (it often does).

See ***1 note at end.

Also, there is a bug in ADE2.0/2.0.1 that means they Sony devices won't work with library books on that ADE release.

If you want to use library books, use the older more reliable version of ADE.

See ***2.

Good luck.

Sometimes ADE gets its registration/activation confused and in a semi-authorized state.

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not help.

Unfortunately, it often then gives misleading error messages about what is wrong.

A common incorrect message informs you that the ID is already in use on another computer and cannot be reused.

This can often be resolved by completely removing any authorization using ctrl-shift-D to the Library screen on ADE (cmd-shift-D if on Mac).

Restart ADE, and then reauthorize with your (old) Adobe ID.

In extreme cases on the mac, the following extra step has helped some people.  Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash. If you are using 10.7, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1265248?tstart=0

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0 (and 2.0.1).  Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

(You can have them both installed at once if you like.)

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2013 Oct 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for your input. It is greatly helpful.  My Sony is indeed authorized on my computer and so is my ADE.  I've been working on your drag-drop suggestion some more. 

I would like first to outline the several things that happened in the last few week that led to my problem.  I purchase a new laptop computer and tried to open my ADE, Reader Library and Sony e-Reader from my new computer and nothing worked.  The softwares did not readily open nor  did they recognized my e-reader.  I looked for solution on my own through online advice and subsequently downloaded softwares and driver's updates.  I also had to update my  ADE personal info which was outdated. Because I don't use my ADE often, I did not remember my password so I had to

change my password.  None of these updates and changes succeeded to restore my purchased books into the softwares or to enable them to detect my e-Reader.  It was like my e-Reader and my ADE and Reader Library had never been linked together.  I was back to square one.  Failing to link all of these together, I decided to reset my e-Reader which made matter worse, now everything was GONE.  My E-Reader had now a new updated profile that was totally foreign to me.  It looked more like a "setting" profile rather than a "book accessible" profile.  I had to find a way, in this NEW profile to download my purchased books, but how???

Just before I received your email, and since I could no longer rely on ADE to show me my purchased books, I decided to try to drag-drop my books from my USB key into my ADE

and my Reader Library,  It worked, except that it did not allow me to drop my books into the "purchased" folder, only in the "library" folder.  Furthermore, these softwares continued to NOT

recognized my e-Reader.  Unable to link my ADE or Reader Library to my e-Reader, it was impossible, that way, to get my books into my e-Reader.  Then I got your email....

Bypassing ADE and Reader Library, I drag-dropped my books directly in my e-Reader, but with this new "setting" profile, I didn't know where to drop my books.  I tried several methods but the extension was converted.  It downloaded my .epub books as .epub. png  which was unreadable.  I was at the end of my rope... I thought for sure my e-Reader was toast.

I reached out to Sony who spent 2 hours on the phone with me. but they were NOT able to help change

anything either.  I was discouraged.

Then something happened that I'm not sure I can explain.  I turned my e-Reader OFF and put it aside as useless.  Then I decided to give it another try.  I downloaded Reader for PC and the OLD version of ADE (1.7) unfortunately, my books did not show in the OLD version. So I tried something else.  I plugged my e-Reader into my computer and removed all the books I had drag-dropped (into "books" folder) and drag-dropped them into "Digital Edition" folder.  I then closed the software, unplugged my e-Reader from the computer and SURPRISE...there it was, the familiar REFRESHING logo spinning around across my e-Reader screen.  I was elated. This was the first sign of normalcy I had noticed since these updates.

I open my e-Reader and there my books were as if nothing had ever happened.  I was afraid to turning my e-reader OFF but chanced it.  To my great discouragement, when I turned it on again, it showed that "Setting" screen again and there is no way from there to merge into the "book" section.  It is as if there are two systems in my e-reader and there is no seamless way from one to the other.  My only way into my books section from the "setting" section is to turn off the unit, plug it into the computer and unplug it again to get this "REFRESH" spinning logo and back into my "book" section.  So I have to keep the baby from turning OFF.  

I am no tech, I have no idea what this all means. Does it mean anything to you???

It remains that my ADE is still not showing my purchased books which I would like to see.  What am I going to do if I decided to purchase another e-Reader?  Will I have to re-purchase these books all over again??? 

I very much appreciate your being there with me throughout this ordeal, hopefully you will be able to help me restoring my ADE purchased books where they should be, in the "purchased" folder.  If you have any insight as to how to keep my books from disappearing when I turn my e-Reader OFF, that'd be a bonus.  THANKS again a lot! 

Huguette Coderre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll think a little more about this, so may not answer for a day or so while I think.

If I haven't answered after 3 or 4 days, please prod me again with another post on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good to me.  Will be in touch a little later on.  Thanks for your kind efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 20, 2013 Oct 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably best to try to get things working it two steps.

I am afraid there will be some repeition of what you have already done, but just to be sure ...

1. get ADE to be able to read you old books, without the Sony involved.
  2. get the Sony working again, recognized by ADE and reading your books.

First try the following to make sure that the ADE part is working.

1. Completely uninstall ADE 2.0 or 2.0.1, if you still have it installed.
    This is not strictly necessary as you can have both 1.7.2 and 2.0 installed at the same time,
    but might save some confusion.
  2. Install ADE 1.7.2 if you don't currently have it installed.
  3. If you can drag/drop purchaced DRM books from the USB stick onto ADE and read them,
    then you have the ADE part working.
    I don't think it is important whether they show up in the Purchased bookshelf, as long as you can read them.
    I notice that my Purchased books do not show up in Purchased on my v.1.7.2.
  4. If not, follow my ***1 from above for v1.7.2, deregistering your Adobe ID and then re-registering it.
    Then try again to read as in step 3.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now to try to get the Sony working again.

1. Uninstall Reader Library and install Sony Reader https://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
    (see ***3 below, I'm not 100% sure about this)
  2. Start ADE1.7.2 and plug in the Sony
  3. Does the Sony show up as a device at the bottom of 'Bookshelves'?
    If not, get back to me.
  4. If so, try to drag a book onto it from the ADE library.
  5. Safely remove the Sony from Windows/Mac, and then unplug it.
  6. Any luck, does it show books?  Can you read any of the books?

7. If that isn't working, try deregistering the Sony and reregistering it.
    Plug it into ADE.
    Hit ctrl-shift-E (cmd-shift-E on Mac) to authorize the device (Sony), and confirm anything that comes up.
  8. Unplug the Sony, restart ADE, and plug the Sony back in.
  9. ADE should ask you to authorize the device, in which case say Yes,  or you may need to go to menu/Library/Authorize Device.
  10. And now try again to transfer books to the Sony and read them.

~~~~

One other thing.

If you do get into a 'setting' profile on the Sony, it may just be you are in the wrong tab on the Sony interface.

In that case, try pressing the Home button in the bottom left of the screen, which should take you to your books.

But it sounds as if maybe you were in a deeper, more awkward, settings mode on the Sony?

And you ask:

It remains that my ADE is still not showing my purchased books which I would like to see.  What am I going to do if I decided to purchase another e-Reader?  Will I have to re-purchase these books all over again???

As I mentioned above, I don't think it is important whether the books show as Purchased, as long as you can read them.

And if you keep the same Adobe ID, you should be able to read them on any devices (up to 6 devices/computers registered at any one time).

(You can change the password for the ID, and even the email associated with it, without changing the underlying ID.)

~~~~

One thing I'm not sure about myself is the difference between

1. Sony Reader software: https://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
  2. Sony ReaderLibrary software: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=PRS350&upd_id=5996&os_group_id=5
    (I notice this is also held on the PRS-350 itself, showing up for me as a separte SETTING: mounted drive.)

I don't think I ever had ReaderLibrary installed. 

It appears that Sony Reader is more up to date, it has a 2013 date rather than a 2010 date.

so it might be worth uninstalling ReaderLibrary and installing Sony Reader.

I don't often use the Sony Reader software, but it has to be installed as it includes a driver;

without that driver the PRS-350 will be seen as a mounted device, but won't be visible to ADE.

(Not sure why Sony makes that awkward extra necessary, most eReaders don't need a special driver.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try and give you feedback when done.  THANKS AGAIN!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did remove ADE 2.0 and installed 1.7 but the 1.7 install demanded that I update to the newer version as this 1.7 version would run out in 40 days.  Furthermore, it refused to open.  The update box would not go away unless you updated the software.  So I closed ADE, plugged my Sony E-Reader, re-opened ADE, updated as per the mandatory demand.  The new version 2.0 update fine, migrated my books from the library of the old version 1.7 to the 2.0 version.  Then it opened the 2.0 and there was my Sony E-Reader (at last).  I could see my books in the library and in my E-Reader and could copy any of these books to my e-Reader.  I don't see my books in the "Purchased" folder but they are in the library and can be moved to my e-Reader.  That's good enough for me.

I am very grateful for you patient and kind assistance.  Thank you for every advice and for your energy into this problem.  Blessings to you and your family 🙂  Huguette Coderre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent that it all worked out for you.  Continue to enjoy the Sony for many years to come.

Not sure why the 1.7.2 insisted on an update, mine hasn't.

The main problem you are likely to get from 2.0/2.0.1, and the reason I suggested 1.7.2, is with Overdrive library books.

If you don't use these, no problem.

If you do, and can't use 1.7.2, then you will find it best:

1. Access the library books and download them onto the computer using ADE2.0.x with the Sony NOT plugged in.
  2. End the ADE session and connect the Sony.
  3. Copy the books to the Sony using a file manager (Windows Explorer or Mac Finder).

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think I use "overdrive".  I did not know what it was until you mentioned it.  My search seem to indicate that it has to do with borrowing library books... I don't, so should be OK !  Crossing my fingers :).  Thanks a million for everything, I could not have been in better hands to help me through this.  Have a great day!  Huguette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines