• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant open InDesign files from mac on pc

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open some InDesign files made on a mac on my pc but it does not work.

I have the latest version of InDesign on my pc computer.

We have tried:

Open the mac files as they are.

Resave the mac files as old indesign format and open them on PC

Export from mac to IDML files and open those files on the pc.

Open the file on my pc as a "copy"

Nothing works.

I get the message:

Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application.

Having a deadline for this project very very soon so really need to fix this. Any ideas out there?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

I dont know what the orginal mac version is for this. And it will take some time to find out.

Can i see this somewhere? Could this make a difference?

Use this: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/934429

Yes it makes a difference. First off, my script checks if it's indeed an InDesign file. If it is, it tells what version the file was created with (and recent versions of the script will also helpfully tell you what that means for you, i.e., whether or not you can open it with your version of inDesign).

Fu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Mac version are you working with?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering!

I dont know what the orginal mac version is for this. And it will take some time to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you moving the files? They might actually be locked if you used a CD.

Did you check for a .idlk file in the same folder? It's also possible there was a stray lock file included in the transfer if the file wasn't closed properly on your Mac.

Finally, can you "open as a copy?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been putting the files in a rar file and sent them back and forth by email.

Checked for .idlk files and removed if any of those files where created.

Have tried open as a copy but did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they have extensions? I've seen this a number of times where users think files are .indd but they don't have extnesions from the original save and they turn out to be PDF.

That said, do they still open on the Mac? Are you using File > Open or a double-click (I gues you must have tried File > Open to ge teh failure for as a copy)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they have extensions.

Tried to double click, drag file into the editor and open with the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, many things unknown could make a difference. They might be PageMaker 4 files for all you know so far.

Can the Mac user un-RAR and then open as a copy the files made on that same Mac machine? This would tend to isolate the problem as beginning on the Mac side of the question.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post one of the INDD files somewhere for us to look at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you did uncompress the archive on the PC, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/934429

Yes it makes a difference. First off, my script checks if it's indeed an InDesign file. If it is, it tells what version the file was created with (and recent versions of the script will also helpfully tell you what that means for you, i.e., whether or not you can open it with your version of inDesign).

Further check: nothing weird in the file name? Don't assume -- delete the original file name and type in something reasonable. There are lots of weird Mac symbols that may have hitched a ride along.

If that does not work: either post the file somewhere for us to look at (preferred), or open it with a hex editor and show us the first couple of bytes. This so we can verify what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now it works!

Guess it was some kind of mac symbol in the name. The name looks completly normal. But when deleted the name and typed in a new name it worked.

Very happy now! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually thanks to all people that have answered. Never have tried this forum. Did not expect such fast and good responses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the curse from Steve. Thou shalst not transfer files from Mac to Windows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Thou shalt not transfer files from mac to Windows"

Easy enough, if absolutely no one anywhere that you ever deal with uses a platform different from you. (sorry, I know sarcasm isn't nice)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sarcasm was from Doc.

InDesign files are completely crossplatform compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Bob, I'm just trying to be sure about it before I agree to a switch from Mac to PC here at work. ....

(and, I was referring to my own sarcasm though....)

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m work on both platforms but prefer Windows. Be aware that the only potential issue you may have would be with Mac only fonts. You should be using Opentype at this point, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, only opentype fonts.... thanks for  your response. : )

Feeling better about this now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines