• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamically populate a drop-down navigation menu

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2007 Mar 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some nice CSS to develop a horizontal drop-down navigation menu similar to what's used on this site. But I cannot figure out how to dynamically populate the menu and submenu items.

The parent and child items are stored in a single table with this structure:

TopNavId
TopNavParentId (for all parents, this is 0; for all children, this is TopNavId for the parent)
TopNavName
TopNavOrder
TopNavURL
TopNavStatus

I should be able to write a query to get the information from the table, and then somehow loop over that query to put the pieces (parent and children) into the menu structure, right? I can't figure out how to go about doing this.

Help? Thanks!

-------------

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 02, 2007 Apr 02, 2007
Thanks, Michael. The Sothink product scooter5791 recommended actually made this pretty easy. Parent query works just as

SELECT *
FROM TopNav
WHERE topNavParentId=0
AND TopNavStatus=1
ORDER BY topNavOrder

Child query is simply

SELECT *
FROM TopNav
WHERE topNavParentId <> 0
AND topNavStatus=1
AND #getTopNav.topNavId#=topNavParentId

and then the output just loops through the GetTopNavDropdown query, basically:

<CFLOOP query="getTopNavDropdown">
"#topNavName#" #topNavURL#
</CFLOOP>

The Sot...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2007 Mar 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though you already have something in mind to use, you might try looking at commercial packages that have dynamic database population capabilities built-in. We have tried a few different ones (Milonic and others) but one I like is:

http://www.sothink.com/product/dhtmlmenu/index.htm

This is only a personal opinion btw, I am not connected to the product in any way. You can download and try for free but must buy for commercial usage. Take a look at the Coldfusion samples.

There are many others available as well. You can find these by searching for dhtml menu systems. Some charge per site usage - the one above you can use with an unlimited number of sites for a single price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2007 Apr 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scooter5791: thanks for the advice! I've downloaded the trial version of the SoThink product and really like it. The only thing I'm struggling with now is writing the query to dynamically populate my submenus -- parent menus are working fine, but can't seem to figure out how to loop through a query to pull the children for each parent. Brain freeze, I guess -- thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 01, 2007 Apr 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best bet is probably a carefully formatted initial query and some elegant CF coding. Barring that, you could always do the brute force way and pull everything back for all parents in an initial query and then perform a CF Query of a Query for each parent to retrieve the appropriate data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2007 Apr 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, Michael. The Sothink product scooter5791 recommended actually made this pretty easy. Parent query works just as

SELECT *
FROM TopNav
WHERE topNavParentId=0
AND TopNavStatus=1
ORDER BY topNavOrder

Child query is simply

SELECT *
FROM TopNav
WHERE topNavParentId <> 0
AND topNavStatus=1
AND #getTopNav.topNavId#=topNavParentId

and then the output just loops through the GetTopNavDropdown query, basically:

<CFLOOP query="getTopNavDropdown">
"#topNavName#" #topNavURL#
</CFLOOP>

The Sothink product does all of the formatting etc.

Thanks, everyone, for the help. --Dbast

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation