Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FlashPlayer installation fails to initalize

Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the latest FlashPlayer installed I also downloaded FlashPlayer 11.9 Projector for some software I have that I think may require this 'Projector' app specifically. This downloaded successfully, but when I double-clicked on the .exe to start the install I just get a blank white box open up with just "Adobe Flash Player 11" in the blue title bar of the box. Nothing else happens. Having updated / installed FlashPlayer before, I was expecting the usual black background & blue progress bar etc.

I have subsequently tried:

- uninstalling all FlashPlayer software and trying to install the Projector app again

- downloading the Projector app a second time and trying the install

- closing all browser windows and trying to start the install directly from my downloads folder

- installing the latest FlashPlayer again, re-downloading the Projector app and trying the install.

All have failed, with the same result - blank white box opens and no installation initalizes - and I'm now at a loss as to why this installation isn't working.

I have also turned off all Firewalls and anti-virus (temporarily!) to ensure they are not interfering in any way.

I'm using Windows XP SP3 and Mozilla Firefox.

I'd really appreciate any ideas anyone can offer.

Many thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "projector" IS NOT an installer.  It's EXACTLY what the name says. A Flash Projector, or "standalone" player if you will.

It's an app. Move it to your Program Files (x86)/Adobe folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see what you mean. As in, once downloaded, that's it. No further installation required.

Thanks for that C F McBlob.

So it looks like that's not going to solve my wider problem, which is how to play software seemingly based on Macromedia Projector - since FlashPlayer, which I understood (maybe wrongly) to be a successor of Macromedia Projector, won't play it.

I'll post a separate question about this.

Many thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macromedia Projector, is unfortunately, an obsolete piece of software. I have one app that still uses it, but it was built into the app by the developer. If your software doesn't have that, it's not likely that the developer is even still around to update it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-StuartC- wrote:

So it looks like that's not going to solve my wider problem, which is how to play software seemingly based on Macromedia Projector...

How does that software invoke the Projector?

Projector basically plays local .swf files.  In order to play .swf files automatically you need to make the appropriate file association.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

O.P. is referring to "Macromedia Director". It's a old app from the "pre MX days". I think the last time I saw it was 2004.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines