• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Specifying font sizes in pixels (for DPS)

Contributor ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it possible to specify font sizes in pixels. It keeps setting it in points, even if I type "16px" into the font field. (CS6 on Win 7).

It used to be in the units pane of the preferences panel (5.5), but can't find it anywhere. Is it, as I suspect, no longer applicable with Renditions?

Thanks,

Simon.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know why that option disappeared in CS6, but I would not worry too much about it. 1 point = 1 pixel.

As long as you do not change the size of the points in the preferences and keep it at "PostScript 72 pts/inch", a point is the same as a pixel for InDesign.

regards,

Ton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixels DO NOT equal points. Anyone who says so has not worked in both print and screen media.

Try it your self in 2 identically sized (by pixels) documents, 1 in photoshop and 1 in Indesign. A 20 pt character in InDesign will be larger than a 20 px character in photoshop.

For those of us who sketch in InDesign, Adobe, PLEASE PLEASE let us spec type in pixels again for InDesign!!!!!  (not sure why they would even choose to remove this feature)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I have tried it out and I cannot see a single pixel difference in size between Photoshop and InDesign.

Make sure your InDesign document is setup in Pixels (presets for Web and Digital Publishing will do that).

Make sure that your InDesign Preferences specify the point size as "PostScript 72 pts/inch".

Make sure that your Photoshop document has a resolution of 72 pixels/inch.

Make sure that your Photoshop preferences for Units & Rulers specify the Point/Pica size the same as in InDesign: PostScript (72 points/inch)

regards,

Ton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about going from InDesign to HTML CSS? A 20 point letter in InDesign is larger than a 20 pixel letter in HTML. When I mean larger, I mean in relation to a standard 300 pixel surrounding box.  Is there any way around this? See http://forums.adobe.com/message/5785063#5785063 for full explanation of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about going from InDesign to HTML CSS? A 20 point letter in InDesign is larger than a 20 pixel letter in HTML

I'm not seeing a  difference in Dreamweaver. The anti-aliasing is different but the size is the same. Note that my zoom percentage is the 1:1 ratio from double-clicking the Zoom tool, or 66% on my iMac. The 1:1 percentage would vary from screen to screen:

Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 3.57.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try it your self in 2 identically sized (by pixels) documents, 1 in photoshop and 1 in Indesign. A 20 pt character in InDesign will be larger than a 20 px character in photoshop.

InDesign's Zoom function changed in CS6. Prior to CS6 100% view in ID matched the 100% view in Photoshop—in both programs 100% showed a 1:1 monitor pixel to image pixel ratio. Now CS6's 100% view calculates the monitor resolution and displays the page at its print size, so  if you preview a 800x600 pixel document at 100% in both programs they will appear to be different sizes.

If you double-click ID's Zoom tool you will get the 1:1 ratio and 20pts will match Photoshop's 20pts when the Photoshop zoom is at 100%:

Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 10.31.17 AM.png

You can get the old zoom ratios via scripting. See this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4502849#4502849

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob,

that's a very good addition!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, but I need to recreate a document in indesign that was initially created in illustrator. I place the illustrator file in ID at 100%, the sizes match. I put an indesign text box above the text I have in AI, which is specified as 25.25pt, and set my type to the same font, same point size. it does not match.

There is nothing wrong with the view/zoom. that's not the issue. All transformations are cleared.
The point/pica size is set to Postscript, 72 pts/inch in Indd, and still. not the same! I have to manually try my way to matching it. What is happening, and is there a fix?Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 8.41.24 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-31 at 8.41.09 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-31 at 8.41.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This discussion is TEN YEARS OLD. Please start a new one with full details including version of ID, AI, O/S. I'm locking this one to avoid any confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines