• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change font size from points into pixels?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to set font size in points but CS 6 has removed this? Please dont say that points = pixels. They do not. See for yourself.  A photoshop doc and an Indesign doc have the same pixel size. A 20 point character "A" in InDesign, will be larger than a 20 pixel character "A" in photoshop. This creates hours of extra work when translating text heavy InDesign documents into Photoshop PSDs. Is there any workaround? Help!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my reply here in the original thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1012679?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're both correct. And not.

Ton, your response is correct in that the method, (or more accurately, the best you can do), in InDesign is work in 1pt-to-1px and deal with it from there.

But the OP is not wrong to conclude that points do not equal pixels.

No constant unit of measure = 1 pixel. Pixel size is not a constant. Neither is the size of a capital A set at 20 points; unless it's always the same font. Type size when rendered in a browser, (which I assume is ultimately the product here), is even further removed from control.

You're in an area where the subjectivity is inescapable.

If you want your InDesign-set A to equal 20 Photoshop pixels, on your display, at whatever resolution you're working at in Photoshop, set it at 20 pixels high in Photoshop; save as PDF; place in InDesign; match by eye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course "points" do not equal "pixels". Even points do not equal points (you can choose between 4 different point sizes in InDesign's preferences). And depending on the resolution of the display the pixel size may vary.

To get something reliable between InDesign and Photoshop you have to tell them what a pixel is in size, in this case how many pixels will fit in an inch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you understand that, as I suspected.

Most of my subsequent explanation was not aimed at you, but rather at the OP's simplistic "A" comparison and request for a workaround. I apologize if that wasn't clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I know why you dont understand my question. I should have said, that points in InDesign do not equal pixels in HTML  (and I should have left Photoshop out of it). 

My problem is going directly from InDesign to HTML CSS code. I used to be able to look at the type in my layout sketch in InDesign, select pixels in the units preferences and (assuming I am using the same webfont thanks to google fonts and the @fontface style) the font size would match exactly when I view the webpage in a browser. But now, when I try to code my webpage fonts in pixels, using the value from InDesign's points, fonts sizes dont match when viewed in borwser. This may seem like I am splitting hairs to you but it makes a big difference if I can just look at my InDesign sketch and see the excact size of the type without having to export a tracing/guide image and try to match visually. It just worked when I could see font size in pixles in InDesign in CS 5.5 but does not work in CS 6.

Try a test: make a div in webpage with same pixel size as an InDeisgn doc. Use a defualt font like helvetic that is aval. to both InDesign and your browser. A 20 point word will not match a 20 pixel word in the same font.

Also: I believe I rulled out any font replacment issues. For my designes, I am using the same font in both the InDesign doc and webpage code. I am using google fonts (donloaded for indesign and "link href" in head of code on webpage and/or using the @fontface style).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like a totally different question to me, but that has been answered to you in the original thread too.

See the answer by Bob Day on how to get the preview in InDesign the same as in Photoshop or the Browser.

Specifying font sizes in pixels (for DPS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just go to Photoshop>Preferences>Units and ruler here in the unit box there is a dropdown called type (by default its set to points). you can change your preference to pixels there. this is on MAC photoshop CC 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, my dear compadre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simple and effective, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines