Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error on executing chm

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2007 Apr 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using RoboHelp X5. When I viewthe compiled chm, I get the following error.

Error 80040154

Can anybody please let me know why am I getting this on execution. Its urgent.

Regards
Shalini

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2007 Apr 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the CHM that you are trying to view, local or on a server?

Put Error 80040154 into Google and it returns a whole bunch of results, all to do with active server pages.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2007 Apr 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am viewing it on a local machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been issues with CHMs on networks although the error you report has not been posted. However, I wanted to rule that out.

Have you tried to include ASP files in your CHM?

Have you tried the same CHM on any other PC?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reported error can be viewed only on my local machine and is reported only for a particular CHM. I copied and complied the file on other machine and the error was not reported.

No, I am not using any ASP files.

Regards
Shalini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shalini,

Can I just double check a few things.

1. Are you running the .chm file from the c:\ drive? Reason for asking is that I may have seen this error when a .chm file is run from a mapped drive.

2. You say that you copied and complied the file on other machine and the error was not reported. Did you compile the file using a the same version of robohelp OR the HTML help compiler?

3. What operating system is installed on the machine where you get the error? Is this the same operating system as the other machine that you tested and compiled the help file on?

4. Does the .chm include any 'special' files. Do you include or link to word documents/windows media clips etc?

thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2007 Apr 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig,

Following are the answers to the queries made above.
1. No, I am not running the .chm file from the c:\ drive.
2. I have Robohelp X5.02, build 802 installed on my machine. The other machine where I did not get any error while viewing has Robohelp X5.01, build 606 installed on it.
3. Both the machines are XP.
4. I have included only 1 image.

Following is the error:

HHTACI~1

Error:80040154

Regards
Shalini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

1. No, I am not running the .chm file from the c:\ drive.

Shalini, where is the .chm stored? On a mapped drive. Have you tried running the .chm from the c:/ drive on the same machine?

thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The .chm is stored in secondary drive (partition). Yes, it gives the same error on C:/drive. I even copied the source and compiled it on C:/drive.

Regards
Shalini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shalini,

Can you try recreating the HH.DAT file for me. I'm wondering if this file has become corrupt.

1. Locate the HH.DAT file, this should be in the following directory.
:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Microsoft\HTML Help
2. Rename the file to OLDHH.DAT.
3. Try opening the .chm file again.

Are you definitely sure that other .chm files created with the same version of RoboHelp work fine on this PC?
Exactly how are you opening the .chm file?

many thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2007 Apr 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Craig ,

I followed the instructions listed by you and getting the same error again.

Yes, i created a fresh .chm few minutes ago and did not get any problem on this PC.

To open the chm, I view the result or double click to open it.

Regards
Shalini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what else to suggest - hopefully someone else will jump in.

If you want to zip up the .chm or project and send it to me I'll take a look over the weekend.

Email: craig.clarke(at)helpsolutions.co.uk

thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Over and above what Peter and Craig have offered, the only other question I can offer is whether the error is received when you manually open the CHM (e.g. from Windows Explorer) as well as after you compile it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp