Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accurate Screen Position for Recording

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2007 Mar 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Captivators,

Camtasia has a coordinate method for positioning a recording area in the screen of the video terminal.
Doe Captivate provide this capablility? When I make a recording of a screen area, in this case it is a web app that is located within the IE browser window. I do not want to snap to the "application", which is provided in the recording options dialog box. Also I do not want to capture the entire screen.

The reason for this requirement is, that if a recording session spans a couple of days (work 1 hour today, and another hour tomorrow, etc), or a different user continues recording where I left off, the recording output from Captivate will show some screen "jump" if the user (or myself) does not pick the "exact" spot within the browser. so far we are using the eye-ball method of alignment.

Any tips on this???
eholz1
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever tried "Sizer" (aka AppSizer)? I use it regularly to exactly size AND position an application window or the recording window. Great little tool and you really can't go wrong, especially since it is free.

If you don't have it, or something like it, let me know your email addess (send me a private message if you wish) and I'll get it to you. Or ... I haven't tried lately, but I'm willing to bet you can find it on the web by Googling something like "application sizer" or perhaps just "sizer" ... let me know if you need my help.

Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello CatBandit,

I will check to see if I can find it. If not, I will send an email.

Thanks Again (and again),

eric aka eholz1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Of course I'm not CatBandit, but you may obtain Sizer by visiting its author's site.

Click here to visit Brian's site

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2007 Mar 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question Time,
I checked sizer, and it does not seem to be able to do what I would like to be able to do. I would like to be able to. I would like to be able to select an area within a window, not the whole window it self. I would like to be able to set a capture area with the web browser, not the whole browser window, and be able to repeat the selection with the same coordinates. This would be similar to the Snag-it program, when capturing a region of an open window.

I guess for now, the eyeball method will have to do!!
Thanks for the info,

eholz1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eholz1,
No, the eyeball method needn't "have to do", but some imagination ( my favorite tool for development) is required to use "Sizer" in a way that will accomplish what you need.

REMEMBER
Sizer will allow you to set not only the size of a window, but the exact location at the same time, so . . .

Assuming you want to record a portion of an Internet Explorer window ...

1) Create a Sizer configuration for the size and location of the IE window ...
..... 1.1) Name and save the config so it can be used later (see below)
2) Create a separate Sizer configuration for the size and location of the desired recording area ...
..... 2.1) Name and save the config so it can be used later (see below)
3) Open IE, right-click the edge and select the proper saved Sizer configuration ...
4) Open, say, Windows Notepad, right-click the edge and select the proper Sizer configuration for the recording area ...
5) Open Captivate and select Record New ...
6) Choose "Application" recording mode ...
7) Choose "Notepad" to snap the recording window to that area ...
8) Minimize or close Notepad - don't need it anymore -
9) Begin recording

I hope that step by step makes more sense ot you. I've been doing what you are trying to do - successfully and effortlessly - for years. I promise you that the time you spend getting the configurations set up and saved will be repaid a hundredfold in your new ability to quit at any point, then later restart the computer and quickly set up the recording of additional slides for your movies with perfect size and alignment to the originally recorded slides.

Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WayTaGo Larry!

Absolutey brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2007 Apr 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Catbandit,
how do I send a "private" email message to you, or perhaps another user?
I will try your steps, You are the king!!!!

eholz1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2007 Apr 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another "last" question! I think I have it, to double check
1. What I did was to open I.E, and create a screen pos using the "user defined" coordinates (like 55,55) for the window postion.
I set the res area to like, 800x600, gave this a name. saved it.
This will be my main ref area.
Then i definded the "recording area" using new user defined screen position, it took a few trys to set the start area, ended up with 185 (down) and 65 in from left. this put the recording area down and just inside the explorer window the the location I indicated. Then I opened notepad and checked the postion, it seemed fine, closed notpad, and begin recording! Is that the way??

eholz1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 03, 2007 Apr 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally it would be great to have website windows open within the capture space. See also the post I made about capturing websites allowing for the delay of pages being opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eholz1,
To answer your question about reaching me privately, I have now enabled my own private messaging, so you can click that text-link under my screen-name at the left of any of my messages.

Note: Use private messaging only for extended discussions that wouldn't normally be of interest to others ( your request for step-by-step help might be a good example). I had disabled private messaging because at one time too many folks were just emailing and PMing me directly and skipping the forums - and this is a "bad thing" because others can't be helped by questions or answers that are private.

Jamie Coats: Your reference to comments you made on another thread might be helpful if you included a link to the other thread, or at least mention of what forum to which the comment was posted. Thanks so much for trying to be helpful, but I do not have the time to go forum-diving in a search for your referenced comments, valuable though I am sure they might be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello CatBandit,

I understand. Good Point. Rick must be right!
Thanks for the tip on screen sizing, and positioning. It works.

eholz1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources