• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 7 Mac Trial hangs - any suggestions to fix?

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any suggestions for getting Captivate 7 trial running on iMac with OSX 10.8.4 and 8GB RAM? Thanks in advance.

The application starts up, but Create New>Blank Project causes the application to hang (spinning wheel).

For what it's worth, Console error log reports (amongst other logging info):

12-08-13 16:42:02,452 Adobe Captivate[537]: *** process 537 exceeded 500 log message per second limit  -  remaining messages this second discarded ***

12-08-13 16:44:17,976 spindump[549]: Adobe Captivate [537] didn't gather any samples due to audio running

Clearing cache/preferences/disabling audio for recording: doesn't help.

PS. 1. : A project from Captivate 5.5 can be loaded and slides are shown, but the moment an item in a slide is clicked to start editing, the Captivate 7 applications hangs.

PS 2. : After opening a Captivate 5.5. project, it can be saved (unedited) from Captivate 7, but files are huge. After re-opening the project (just saved from Captivate 7) in Captivate 7 again, any attempt to edit a slide will cause Captivate 7 to hang.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Can you try recreating Captivate 7 Preferences and then launch Captivate:

Open Finder-- Go to Folder-- "~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Captivate 7", rename Adobe Captivate 7 folder and make sure you have closed the Captivate first, and then relaunch.

Create a blank new project and check whether there is any improvement?

P.S.: Recreating preferences will reset Captivate settings and customizations to default, that will not make any change in your Project.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately that doesn't help. I'd really appreciate any more suggestions to get it working. Is Captivate 7 compatible with Mac OSX 10.8.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Captivate 7 is compatible on MAC 10.8.4.

Can you create a new user account (admin user), then log off, and log in with that new user account.

Launch Captivate 7 in that new user account, and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Varun,

thanks for your response.

Unfortunatly that didn't solve it. I've also tried a full uninstall and re-install, and also with the iMac started in safe mode. The symptoms remain the same. After force quitting Captivate in the safe mode, and restarting, the iMac preferences were partly corrupted.

I'm not sure if this is an OS X bug, or a Captivate bug. However I can say none of the other applications hang.

I really hope there will come a solution for Captivate 7 hanging. As it stands now, we'll not be upgrading to Captivate 7, and re-develop our courses in another tool. Which is a pity - all of our other Adobe products work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sonja

I've reported exactly the same issue and spent many hours with Adobe help with no resolution so far. The issue has been escalated and I should hear more tomorrow. If a solution comes up I'll post it here for you.

Cheers

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

@stotan : Please share your contact information on tcssup@adobe.com

@sonja : Do you have any other Adobe application on your MAC ?

Thanks,

Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Michael: thanks Michael

@ Vikram:

Yes (all on Mac OS X): Photoshop Elements 11, Premiere Elements 11, Dreamweaver CS 6, Adobe Reader, as well as applications which are also installed in the process - such as Adobe Captivate Analyser, AC Reviewer, Adobe Media Player, etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Please share you contact information on tcssup@adobe.com.

I will contact you to find some more information.

Thanks,

Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2013 Sep 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this issue ever resolved.  I just recently upgraded to Captivate 7 for Mac OS and am experiencing the same thing.  It works on my PC, so I'm not sure why it's not working on the mac.

It's a new mac, I've had it less than a week.  When I launch the packager, I get the button to browse for the appropriate directory.  Once I've selected the directory - the application hangs.

~m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know of. We shared our contact information with Adobe support - no reply yet. It doesn't give much faith, and we're now evaluating another application - in spite of having to redo our previous work unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue too.  Very strange.  At first I thought it was because I have 2 versions of Captivate on my Mac (version 6 and 7).  I was using both versions with no problem for months now, but now neither of them will open on the Mac.  Still works fine on my PC. 

The issue first happened about a week ago with Captivate 7.  I went to open it, the icon bounced around for a while, then just stopped.  I tried reinstalling it and it worked again... for about a week.  Now once again it is not working, and the reinstalling trick is no longer fixing it. 

Does anyone know if Adobe is working to fix this glitch?

Wanda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Can you please provide few more info to understand the issue?

1. Your MAC OSX version?

2. Captivate is on trial or it’s a licensed version?

3. if it is licensed version, Can you please try deleting preferences by double clicking on the 'CleanPreferencesMac' app from <captivate Installation dir>/Utils folder and see it resolves the issue or not

Thanks,

Nimmy Sukumaran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nimmy,

I was on the previous version of Mac when the problem first happened (but at that time the reinstall worked out).  Now I'm on the new Maveric operating system, and not even the reinstall is working. 

I am working with a licensed version (I should have read the thread title before as I see this is also an issue with the trial version).  I don't know if it makes a didfference, but I've been downloading/installingn from the trial version because the new Mac does not have a disk drive.  But I am using my licence key that I purchaesd several months ago. 

I tried following your suggestion of running the "CleanPreferenceMac" app, however it did not do the trick. 

Wanda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you mention you are on Maverick, you need to be aware that no version of Captivate currently works on that version of OSX.

Please see this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5791332#5791332

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up.  Glad to know it's not just my computer... but that's horrible adobe couldn't keep up to be ready for the Maverick release.  People don't have time to check that all their software is compatible for new OS, and with Adobe you would think that such a big company would be more on the ball. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does everyone thing 'bigger companies should be more on the ball'?

I don't get this.

In my experience the bigger a company is, the LESS likely they are to be 'on the ball'.  The MORE likely they are to drop the ball from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True enough - experience says that bigger companies drop the ball a lot.  Certianly more can go wrong.  But I work for a small, not for profit company educating Deaf adult literacy learners.  We are very small, but our needs are huge as far as developing resources for our students.  As such a small organization, we don't exactly have the IT department and funds to watch everything in the tech world.  I can appreciate (and even anticipate) glitches here and there with upgrades to the OS, however to not be able to run one of our key software is a really huge hit to us.  Hindsight is always 20/20 - and if I could do it again, I would have waited to upgrade the OS. 

All my other Adobe software is functioning fine (from what I have used thus far) - it's only Captivate that doesn't seem to be as big of a priority for Adobe for some reason.  Are educators not as important?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wanda

Educators are really really important . It is just that we missed the early window of warning  users not to upgrade to 10.9 OS .. See my blog post on the issue and solution

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2013/10/maverick-10-9-upgrade-warning.html

Sorry about the inconvenience caused

Regards

Suresh J

Senior Manager Engineering - Adobe Captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello ,

The update of Adobe Captivate for the Mavericks has been released ,Please download it from the link below

http://www.adobe.com/support/captivate/downloads.html

Please make sure while updating Adobe Captivate must be closed .

Thanks

Himanshu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources